Homebrew How do you make an emulator on the 3DS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking of making a GameCom Emulator for the 3DS because of how infamous it is. But I dont know how? May you guys help me?
You will need to learn to program in C or C++ before you start. There are a lot of tutorials online if you search for them. Emulators are typically very advanced programming projects. Start smaller - make a small and simple game. And start on a pc as it has better tools for debugging. Trying to learn on a platform like the 3ds is very difficult and can be very discouraging.
Edit: and don’t pretend that you are thinking of starting something when you really just want someone to do it for you. People can be pretty vicious about stuff like that here. Make a request instead.

Last edited by elhobbs,
Reactions: MKKhanzo

SonicFan2005

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You will need to learn to program in C or C++ before you start. There are a lot of tutorials online if you search for them. Emulators are typically very advanced programming projects. Start smaller - make a small and simple game. And start on a pc as it has better tools for debugging. Trying to learn on a platform like the 3ds is very difficult and can be very discouraging.
Edit: and don’t pretend that you are thinking of starting something when you really just want someone to do it for you. People can be pretty vicious about stuff like that here. Make a request instead.
Thank you, but I never said I wanted someone else to do it for me, I am very interested in the GameCom ever since AVGN did a video on it. Seems like an interesting system.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thank you, but I never said I wanted someone else to do it for me, I am very interested in the GameCom ever since AVGN did a video on it. Seems like an interesting system.
Is there even a Game.com emulator? Google is giving me mixed results and I am at work, where the sites coming up are blocked. Because if there is no emulator made, your friend is going to have to start from scratch.
Even if there is one, they need the source code to do anything with it.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Zhongtiao1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The Game.com will never be fully emulated because, like the super a'can, nobody cares about it. There is a leaked official game.com emulator available online for windows. MESS has terrible emulation. Those are the only ways you could emulate it without coding your own emulator.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is there even a Game.com emulator? Google is giving me mixed results and I am at work, where the sites coming up are blocked. Because if there is no emulator made, your friend is going to have to start from scratch.
Even if there is one, they need the source code to do anything with it.

MESS has some support. that zone site has the downloads :P

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just buy a game.com yourself. They're still dirt cheap

ForeverEternal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is that gbatemp in a nutshell? Just wondering

User: I need help solving the schrödinger's equation because I liked his cat.
Dev: You should first learn some calculus in order to understand it.
User: Thank you, but I never said I wanted to learn calculus. I am very interested in the Schrödinger's equation ever since I read about his cat. Seems like an interesting equation.

SonicFan2005

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
User: Thank you, but I never said I wanted to learn calculus. I am very interested in the Schrödinger's equation ever since I read about his cat. Seems like an interesting equation.
when the hell did this thread become about calculus

Zabhahs

Goron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when the hell did this thread become about calculus
oh my god. Dude, its a parody of how you said "i want to make an emulator but Im not interested in coding im just interested in emulating". Look for the parallels. Im guessing from your username you were born in 2005? Because thats the only reason why you shouldnt have understood schrodingers cat or calculus.

Roboman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
User: Thank you, but I never said I wanted to learn Calculus. I am very interested in the Schrödinger's equation ever since I read about his cat. Seems like an interesting equation.
He never once said he didn't want to learn.
What he said was he wasn't asking somebody else to do it for him:
Thank you, but I never said I wanted someone else to do it for me...

Reactions: SonicFan2005

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Before wanting to code an emulator, maybe you should start learning how the system works, and what an emulator is really doing, and why.
Before wanting to code or hack for current generation console, you should start with old generation console (it's always easier).
GameCom is maybe not a bad idea, it's old and should be easy (compared to emulating PS4 or a Switch, not compared to your current knowledge)

So, what I suggest is that before wanting to code an emulator for something nobody did before, you should start by doing it with a well known system, that is well documented and that you can get help if needed at any steps.
once you understand how things are working (generally in ASM, not in C/C++) then you can plan making one for a new system.

I recommend you first create this emulators :
Chip8 : http://www.multigesture.net/articles/how-to-write-an-emulator-chip-8-interpreter/
Z80 (gameboy, megadrive)
then, learn technical data from gamecom (chipset type, etc.), then find documentation on that chipset to know how to talk to it in ASM to understand how a game is working on the actual hardware.

Enkuler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just calm down and take what people say with a grain of salt.

I think he took it with enough salt already.

But I dont know how?

OP you should be a tad bit more precise in your questions or else people will assume the worst.
What do you need help with:
  • Making homebrew for the 3ds?
  • Making an emulator?
  • Getting documentation on the Game.com console?
  • All of the above?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, he never said he wanted someone else to do it for him.
he even said he is interesting in doing it himself.

Enukler: I suppose he will need to do all of the above (as it's posted in 3DS section, I guess he wants to make it for 3DS).
I didn't know that console before today. I don't know any specs, but I think it's a good plateform and good exercise. having a goal is always the best to learn development. he will probably do things wrong at first if it's the first time he is coding, but he will learn and become better for his next project.
SonicFan: don't target too high (like wanting to find code exploit for switch), learn at your pace and you might be a helper for the next gen era (not necessarily a hacker, but even just making tools, or simple homebrew games on future gen consoles)
You'll need a loooot of free time and dedication. but don't listen to others if they tell you can't do something just prove them otherwise. don't start a war and flame other users, just show what you are capable of. (maybe you are capable of nothing, maybe not, it's up to you. You can always learn)

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Roboman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...