Hacking How do you install virtual console games?

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, my Wii is modded via xzxero's guide, and now I want to play downloaded Virtual Console games. How do I go about doing this? I can download them from my own sources, but what do I do with them afterward?

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
longtom1 said:
you can un-install them the same way aswell
Awesome, simple as that. I got some games on the way. Thanks much, I just hope these WADs aren't from a bad source. 28 seeds and 92 leeches though, so I'm guessing it's legit. It's a WiiWare WiiVC WiiChannel MEGAPACK, so my guess is that it's ok. The two channels are internet browser and homebrew channel, so I don't need those. But I see a lot of gems like Ocarina of Time and World of Goo.

EDIT: And to be clear, once installed, I can delete the WADs from my SD card, right?

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yea, you also move them to SD card menu as play them from there to save NAND memory as your system menu IOS already patched if you followed my guide
biggrin.gif

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
longtom1 said:
or you could just use triiforce and install them to emulated nand on and sd card

This is superb, Triiforce is the way to go(as long as there is no USB loader for WiiWare and VC games^^)

jazvdb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skyline969 said:
longtom1 said:
you can un-install them the same way aswell
Awesome, simple as that. I got some games on the way. Thanks much, I just hope these WADs aren't from a bad source. 28 seeds and 92 leeches though, so I'm guessing it's legit. It's a WiiWare WiiVC WiiChannel MEGAPACK, so my guess is that it's ok. The two channels are internet browser and homebrew channel, so I don't need those. But I see a lot of gems like Ocarina of Time and World of Goo.

EDIT: And to be clear, once installed, I can delete the WADs from my SD card, right?

I see that your using torrent... Dont its alot slower...
There's much better direct downloads...

Message me if you want the sites.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Whoa, whoa. Move them to my SD card? Region-free them? Triiforce?
I dunno about this emulated NAND stuff, but region-freeing the WADs before installing would be a good idea. I have no clue how to do that, or how to put the channels onto my SD card once they are installed. Please explain?

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Sure is. Had to get Freethewads as well, which was a slight bit tricker (not really). Anyways, it seems all the WADs I downloaded in a torrent were either region-free or NTSC-U already, according to reading their regions via Freethewads GUI. So all I should have to do is drop the WADs in my wad folder on the SD, go to WAD Manager, install, reboot, delete from SD, and play?

EDIT: Oh, and I can delete all the IOS files from the wad directory on my card, right?

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Skyline969 said:
Sure is. Had to get Freethewads as well, which was a slight bit tricker (not really). Anyways, it seems all the WADs I downloaded in a torrent were either region-free or NTSC-U already, according to reading their regions via Freethewads GUI. So all I should have to do is drop the WADs in my wad folder on the SD, go to WAD Manager, install, reboot, delete from SD, and play?

EDIT: Oh, and I can delete all the IOS files from the wad directory on my card, right?
you dont have to delete the wad from your sd card but yeah thats basically it.
get used to WAD manager by the way. you'll be using that a lot.
biggrin.gif

longtom1

Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
don't even need to reboot I think I have installed gradious with wad manager and then exited to HBC then wii menu then played the game straight away

you can use wiiexplorer from wiibrew to delete the wads from your sd card without removing it from the wii you can use an smb share to transfer them from your pc to wii aswell with wii explorer

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Oh I probably will. I know I don't have to delete the WADs, but can I? Same with the IOS WAD files?

EDIT: Whoa, freaked myself out for a sec. Which IOS do I use to install the WiiWare/Virtual Console games in WAD Manager?

gbaguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Skyline969 said:
Oh I probably will. I know I don't have to delete the WADs, but can I? Same with the IOS WAD files?

EDIT: Whoa, freaked myself out for a sec. Which IOS do I use to install the WiiWare/Virtual Console games in WAD Manager?

Hey there,

I used the same mod guide as you (xzxero's great step-by-step guide) and when I first attempted to install a VC wad with Wad Manager (about a month ago), I saw the prompt to choose the IOS to use/install to (a step that seems pretty crucial but that no one that I've seen has mentioned anywhere -- we newbies can use a step-by-step guide for Wad Manager) and I don't remember which I chose (maybe the default) but when I exited my system wouldn't start properly. At the time it was booting up in the Preloader menu and the menu now didn't show; it was just a black screen with some text like "v3.3U" in the bottom-right (?) corner. I don't remember exactly what the text was but everything was frozen until I reinstalled Preloader. Apparently I installed the VC wad over Preloader? I'm not sure what happened but I freaked but was relieved that I was able to re-install Preloader and restore things. I haven't tried to install VC or WiiWare wads since.

I hope someone writes some step-by-step guide to Wad Manager since it seems pretty powerful and can mess things up.

Thanks

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
gbaguy said:
Skyline969 said:

Hey there,

I used the same mod guide as you (xzxero's great step-by-step guide) and when I first attempted to install a VC wad with Wad Manager (about a month ago), I saw the prompt to choose the IOS to use/install to (a step that seems pretty crucial but that no one that I've seen has mentioned anywhere -- we newbies can use a step-by-step guide for Wad Manager) and I don't remember which I chose (maybe the default) but when I exited my system wouldn't start properly. At the time it was booting up in the Preloader menu and the menu now didn't show; it was just a black screen with some text like "v3.3U" in the bottom-right (?) corner. I don't remember exactly what the text was but everything was frozen until I reinstalled Preloader. Apparently I installed the VC wad over Preloader? I'm not sure what happened but I freaked and but relieved that I was able to re-install Preloader and restore things. I haven't tried to install VC or WiiWare wads since.

I hope someone writes some step-by-step guide to Wad Manager since it seems pretty powerful and can mess things up.

Thanks

As for installing VC games wads with wad manager:

1. Place the VC game .wad in your WAD folder on your SD card
2. Execute wad manager from HBC
3. On the disclaimer screen press A to continue
4. On the select the IOS version to use screen let the selection as it is and press A to continue
5. On the select NAND emulator device screen let the selection as it is and press A to continue
6. On the select source device screen let the selection as it is and press A to continue
7. Use the Wii remotes directional pad to select the .wad you want to install and press A to continue
8. Use the Wii remotes directional pad to select and press A to continue
9. Wait till it finishes the installation process, then press B to go back and finally press HOME to exit wad manager to HBC
10. Exit HBC and enjoy your freshly installed .wad
11. Profit!

Hope this helps you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM