How do you install ntsc vc games on a Pal Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by HDW, Aug 11, 2008.

Aug 11, 2008
  1. HDW
    OP

Newcomer HDW Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Topic title.

Thanks for any help

2. jbloggs

Newcomer jbloggs Member

United Kingdom
    I believe you need to use a tool called FreeTheWad to make it region free then install it.

3. icefox2

Newcomer icefox2 Advanced Member

Canada
    Yeah basically what jbloggs said you need to use freethewads. If you don't want to keep using that though, you can always just patch the system menu with Crediar's Starfall application which includes the option for region free Wii games and region free channels. So any channel that you install regardless of what region it is from will work on your Wii console.

4. RadioShadow

Member RadioShadow GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Depending on which type of VC wad:

SNES:
    I discovered two days ago you can get US SNES wads on PAL Wii's in 60HZ. Using a tool called 'wwpacker15', uncompress the 00000001.app. Modify the Video Settings in the 00000001.dol file so the three NTSC settings become PAL60 settings (this will run the rom on your Pal Wii in 60Hz). I plan to make a small guide this Wednesday so if that didn't make sense, wait until Wednesday.

NES:
    Not figured out let. Unlike the SNES, the NES Wad is set out different (such as the rom being stored where the NES emulator is, in 00000001.app). I had a look at the Video settings and they are as followed:

NTSC (interlaced)
    MPAL (interlaced)
    Pal (interlaced)
    Pal 60 (interlaced)

Changing NTSC to Pal 60 doesn't work (I tried it myself today). It seems Nintendo have programmed all the necessary TV settings in but I've no idea how to tell the emulator which TV setting to use.

N64:
    Get this tool called FreeTheWads. Use that which will change the region to '3'. The N64 should run fine as the PAL TV settings have been programmed in. Beware that some games may still run in 50Hz (people have said Star Fox US Wad runs only in 50Hz on a PAL Wii) while others in 60Hz (such as Super Mario 64).

Genesis (aka Mega Drive):
    Use the FreeTheWads tool. This will allow the Geneis Wad to run on a Pal Wii but only in 50Hz.

TurboGrafix:
    Use the FreeTheWads tool. Will run in 60Hz like the Pal releases.

NeoGeo:
    Use the FreeTheWads tool. Not tested it myself but people have confirmed it works.

Master System:
    Use the FreeTheWads tool. Got no Master System US wad to try this but it will most likely only run the rom in 50Hz.

Commador 64:
    No US releases. Use PAL Wads.

That's what is known so far.