How do you imagine the future of gaming in 10 years from now?

HideoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will there be some new tech, maybe next Gen VR, or maybe theme park gaming which will be like real + VR gaming that takes place in a real studio like place where you can walk freely. Will there be a game like the movie Gamer where we pay to control real people? What do you think.

Coolsonickirby

Trophies
Website
coolsonickirby.com
XP
Country
United States
Will there be a game like the movie Gamer where we pay to control real people?
I highly doubt anything like that will happen lol. Other than that, I think gaming will still be the same. I don't see anything new coming for a long while.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
internet is so fast and accessible everywhere, we don't need to buy/upgrade our expensive HW cauz everythings are on CLOUD.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I highly doubt anything like that will happen lol. Other than that, I think gaming will still be the same. I don't see anything new coming for a long while.
dude, it already exists and it's always existed, just think about.

AutumnWolf

JRPG enjoyer, Xenoblade, YS and DQ connoisseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Ten years from now...
Apple will still have 53% margins selling gazillions of products no one needs. Google Stadia will dominate gaming. And WalMart and Amazon with be the only "retailers" left in the United States.
Any questions?
Yes, is this just your opinion or are you basing it off something?

HideoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL okay, how about 50 years from now?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ten years from now...
Apple will still have 53% margins selling gazillions of products no one needs. Google Stadia will dominate gaming. And WalMart and Amazon with be the only "retailers" left in the United States.
Any questions?
Stadia will still have to deal with console exclusives I'm sure Sony, ninty and Microsoft will adapt or create new features that make Stadia not full experience.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think AR is where it's going. At least with mobile gaming. I'd say in the next few years there will be glasses that bluetooth to your phone. It will augment gameplay over what you're seeing. Like pokemon go, but on your face. Then there will be virtual billboards everywhere. McDonalds holograms floating in the sky, a credit karma logo on the moon. Basically the reverse of the "they live" glasses.

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
insert that picture of the guy wearing a vr headset in a corner here and there you have your future.
ofcourse with cloud support. and blockchain. with facebook integration.
and featuring dante from devil may cry

Reactions: HideoKojima

matthi321

Trophies
XP
Country
i dont see much change is gonna happen, problaly the same changes we seen the last 10 years. so slighty better graphichs, bigger and more realistic open world games.
better ai in form of dialogue and interaction. not better combat ai, as they want the games to be easy for the casuals.

Nemesis90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
insert that picture of the guy wearing a vr headset in a corner here and there you have your future.
ofcourse with cloud support. and blockchain. with facebook integration.
and featuring dante from devil may cry

Are you referring to this.
1371246483919.jpg

Reactions: HideoKojima

HideoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think AR is where it's going. At least with mobile gaming. I'd say in the next few years there will be glasses that bluetooth to your phone. It will augment gameplay over what you're seeing. Like pokemon go, but on your face. Then there will be virtual billboards everywhere. McDonalds holograms floating in the sky, a credit karma logo on the moon. Basically the reverse of the "they live" glasses.
That's what I'm talking about

Reactions: WeedZ

pOOB73

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Will there be some new tech, maybe next Gen VR, or maybe theme park gaming which will be like real + VR gaming that takes place in a real studio like place where you can walk freely. Will there be a game like the movie Gamer where we pay to control real people? What do you think.

We'll be playing GTA V on Switch 2.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Smartphones will be so powerful you can just put them next to your television, pick up a wireless controller and play great games that way (it'll stream its content to the television while accepting input from the controller).

There will be bitching from older gamers who insist that their retro consoles (containing an actual hard disk instead of being connected to the internet) are the only way to play games. They'll become more and more a niche part of gaming known as "grandpa gamers".

Reactions: Veho

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The last game that I finished was Resident Evil 3 on the original PSX, since then I've only ever played games for 5 or 10 mins to see if they work ok for my now teenage kids.

But VR has kinda got me interested again, games like Asgard's Wrath, Vader Immortal :Oetc , Imagine what they would be like in 10 years :)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
10 years out?

Probably not a lot different to today. I doubt any type of remote terminal (the kids call it cloud these days) gaming will be dominant as I doubt people will be investing in cabinet or exchange level hosting which is about the only way I see that working for real time.
Graphics will be slightly better but probably not too radically at the higher end, though even mid tier devs will be doing what is high end today. I would probably say go look at what film studios and CGI houses are doing today*, possibly also timelines for opengl and directX, and basically that. To abuse an old phrase then VR is 10 years out and always will be. I hope we will get proper motion blur. Resolution kind of tails off in usefulness (the average living room + average human eyeball... even 4k is a stretch for some setups) so I don't know if 8K will be a thing, hopefully we get some nice ultrawide screens instead. It might be time for 3d again by then. I don't know what will become of silly high frame rates.

*the Rebirth thing is probably a good example of this

Where today that is something akin to renderfarm then if something like Moore's law holds or gets something to replace it then I can see that being real time around then.

I imagine we will be starting to see the AI generation of quests, map areas, voices... be really taking hold. Possibly also making things a bit more dynamic, though I also can see some actor type stuff going there (I was reading the other day about Fallout 76 being so bad that some people were setting themselves up as a kind of end boss, and internet played versions of pen and paper RPGs are becoming quite widespread -- hard not to imagine something happening there). Hard not to imagine the more sandbox type elements such a thing would require not themselves being twisted to make for some serious user driven modes.
By similar token I imagine a bit more destructible environments and games playing to that, coupled with the above that might make for some good persistent changes in various online games.

I am not sure what the DLC and microtransactions path will be here, though obviously I hope it does not become all encompassing. I imagine someone will crack AR and microtransactions to make something very odd. Though I suspect we will see devs have to learn the "people like good games" lesson a few more times during this, and a run of stupidity will probably be terminal for a popular company today. By similar token I am not sure what the next bold move from Tencent will be but some kind of major upset there will likely happen.

We will probably also be seeing the effects of minecraft as the game the kids grew up on compared to mario when it comes to what people are making -- if programmers program everything in their first language then game designers tend to incorporate lessons from theirs. I don't know if we will be seeing more formal/scientific game design teaching take hold (if I compare the sorts of teaching I am seeing for game design to what we see in film school then it is so far behind that it is not funny) but I can see it, and indeed hope for it -- if some game dev can tell me the maths behind the prisoner dilemma and other such game theory games rather than blindly trial and error fumbling their way to it like we see today and have done for years now then that will make for some interesting games. That said if film schools already teach what should be good stuff and we still get the utter drivel that infests the landscape...

I doubt we will have a controller breakthrough in that time, though maybe at that point we will be seeing the first rumblings of electroactive polymers allowing some kind of dynamically reconfigurable controller (some kind of touchscreen overlay tech probably at around 8 years, and shape formed stuff* possibly a bit sooner still). Maybe in the silly high end (think the room in my house for VR types today) we might see some kind of AI driven finger tracking.

*if 3d printers take off then something interesting might happen there as people can get their own stuff printed on demand as it were compared to plastic instruments of yesteryear's guitar hero and rock band.

I am not sure where mod making and open source gaming will be. That will probably depend upon what sort of AI the public gets to play with.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: And i'm not in my house so i can't use my PC