How do you get your studies done?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Da Foxx, May 23, 2007.

May 23, 2007
  1. Da Foxx
    OP

Member Da Foxx GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I was wondering if anyone has techniques that they use when studying for upcoming exam they would like to share. And also how do you prevent yourself with all the distraction around you? TV, Computer, Bed, etc. :S

I just have this exam for science and I can't seem to find a way to prepare for it.

2. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    I get distracted a lot as well. I either try and deal with it and force myself to study or I go to uni and work there. I find I get a lot of work done while at uni because I have less distractions.

A good technique is to reward yourself for doing work. If you get a lot done treat yourself with some tasty food or gaming or something like that.

3. sirAnger

Member sirAnger GBAtemp Fan

United States
    -I'd always go to the library when things around the house distracted me.
    -Make sure to give yourself plenty of time. Take a break every hour or so and, as Opium said, reward yourself when you finish a study session.
    -Don't study on an empty stomach - a growling tummy is a horrible distraction and your brain will retain more information if it has fuel to think. Same goes for sleep.
    -Summarize onto a sheet of paper and run through it in the testing area before you take the test.

That's all I got.

4. Inu268

Member Inu268 woof

Brazil
    I used to study while listening to music
    I don't think that is good for most people though =p

5. Da Foxx
    OP

Member Da Foxx GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Nope. [​IMG]

Thanks a lot guys! But I should be studying right now. Lol. V.V

6. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    Nobody's mentioned the best place to get some thinking done....

[​IMG]

7. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    Library FTW

8. Dis

Dis Newbie

Get a girl and study with her... [​IMG]

9. ndela007

Member ndela007 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    library + no distractions + pad of paper + taking good notes in class = win

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Food definitely, although eating is one of the three best times to kill a person I took that risk and ate outside the house.

Drink: I can deal without food for a while but without fluid then I am long gone, all drinks work the same although something sugary (caffeine not so much) may help with above.

Attend the lectures/classes, even if the lecturer/teacher is useless and just reads a handout/overhead or you are drunk.

With someone can help, make sure they are of a similar work ethic (and higher or similar ability to yourself) to yourself though. For revision I used to go through all the notes discuss them, make more notes and then discuss/test memory again. Through good choice of stuff to revise several one night specials have become highest in class.

Choose good stuff to revise: I had a maths module last year composed of stats, matrices and a few choice things like partial differentiation. One night to revise we picked stats and the few choice things: we walk away with 80 odd % (70% is a first) while everyone else (who did matrices over the course of a week or two) struggled to get 60-65%.

Some say do past papers but I say do your coursework, most teachers/examiners set papers tweaked enough every year to make it not worth the while (even if it is practically a carbon copy for the years running up). The CAs, especially calculations, on the other hand is usually at or above exam level and often mimic what is to come.
    Also do the CA through a module, even if they do not count, if thw count it may only be worth 10% or so but it is reasonable to get 7 or 8% which for a 70% in the exam (63 in the module) puts you in the 70% overall range.

If by yourself music helps, something you like is always good.

Sleep: a subject for debate, 4 hours is a minimum I reckon but if it is an afternoon exam do not push yourself.

Way I see distraction is that there are only a few weeks a year I have to care about exams, the rest of the time is for the distractions (my only problem is I go by US TV schedules and so it is invariably series finale time).

Science in particular: I mainly did science when I got the choice and then went into engineering. As much as they love equations the front of the exam book as a good place to scrawl them down, if you can learn to derive equations even better: a = (v - u)/ t means nothing, acceleration is rate of change of speed with respect to time describes it fine, mention also that that equation is for constant acceleration.

As for learning the stuff that is not equations: read something on a higher level aka something that is interesting (get a general journal like new scientist or scientific American) and everything before if will become clear, failing that read the same subject but in 9 different books:
    Simply put galvanic corrosion is where a less noble metal gives up electrons in preference to a more noble metal.

Galvanic corrosion is where a more reactive metal gives electrons (an anode) to less reactive one (a cathode), this leaves the anode "charged" and able to react (it is why a weld does not tend to oxidise where the surrounding region reacts more and is also how batteries work)

Anyhow enough whittling on from me.

11. jono_

Member jono_ GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    i have trouble with distractions.

GBAtemp solves all my problems.

12. Lukeage

Member Lukeage GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Ok, I'll put this disclaimer that I'm not your average student when it comes to studying. I'm one of those people who does the minimal work possible and achieves decent results. That said, here are a few things I've discovered over the years to help to minimise the amount of work I have to do [​IMG]

1. Actually learn the material through the session. Studying for an exam really should only be a revision of the work you already know. If you start studying and find that you are only just learning the content, you aren't going to do well.

2. Don't stress about the exam. This probably takes some training for some people, but the less you stress about getting a good mark, usually the better mark you will get.

3. Don't aim for a certain mark. There was a case at my university that once upon a time they didn't release assignment marks within the maths faculty until after the exams. When things changed, they noticed a rapid drop in the average mark. What they discovered was that when students know what marks they need to get the grade they want, they tend to get a score slightly below where they aim.

4. Don't change your routine dramatically to accommodate for studying. If you change the way you usually live, your body has to adapt to the changes. If you normally go out on the night before your exam, still head out (ie, do enough study before going out) and just don't drink as much and have an earlier night.

5. Don't study the day of the exam. This helps reduce stress and makes sure you don't run into something that you have no idea about and start wondering about it on the day. I still occasionally have a quick look over formulas or some concept as a quick refresher just before I head to the exam, but nothing in depth.

6. If you find something you don't understand, leave it till later. No point spending hours and hours on something you fail to grasp and not having enough time to revise the stuff you do get. If you really can't grasp a concept, just ignore it. It helps reduce the stress and (assuming it isn't a fundamental concept) it usually won't be worth a large amount of marks.

7. Get motivated to study. If you are sitting around not wanting to study, you won't get as much done, and it won't be as effective. If you are really craving playing a game, or watching some tv, say to yourself, "I'll play for 30 minutes, then do some study". You will usually find this helps you to start studying.

Ok, I think that will do to get you started [​IMG]
    As for distractions, I study to music or background noise. Personally, I don't listen to anything new (that way I'm not listening to the music directly) and I tend to listen to stuff without vocals. Definitely doesn't work for everyone, but I can't study in silence (Funnily enough in my 7 years at uni, I have only ever used the library maybe 5 or 6 times. It also helps that I study computing so referencing online journals is 2nd nature [​IMG])

I'll shut up now before I ramble on too much.

13. superkyre

Newcomer superkyre Member

Philippines
    I smoke about a pack while reading the material. I don't recommend it though, for very obvious reasons.

The occassional alcoholic beverage while studying helps me too, but again, I don't recommend it.

For the uninformed, I have just spent six years in college, with double degrees. Just finishing my second thesis this semester for the second course.

14. tetsuya

Member tetsuya GBAtemp Regular

I usually get my brother to lock me up in the closet with the books.

15. R4seller

Member R4seller GBAtemp Regular

Hong Kong
    Go to library to study!!!

16. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Back when I was in school, I never studied. I listened to the teacher, read whatever chapter in the book they said to read (before I left school) and tried to remember what I learned until after the test.

I flat out refused to do homework. Home-time was MY time, NOT school-time. I didn't do homework and I made sure my teachers understood that up front.

Worked for me, I graduated with A's, B's and C's.......and one D from the teacher that couldn't accept my no homework rule.

Truth.

Of course, this was all 20+ years ago for me. I'm 39.

17. greyhound

Member greyhound GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    collaborative study is the best method IMO, find a quiet place and work through your notes and past papers together and attempt to come up with potential exam questions. Studying with others allows ideas to bounce around and enables you to talk things through to understand certain concepts.

However, some people prefer to study alone and attain high grades, everyone has their own study preferences.

18. iamwhoiam

Member iamwhoiam Honorary R4 Fanboy

United Kingdom
    I turn off the computer. Lock myself in my room, and let my housemates play on the xbox360. Fuck

19. spokenrope

Member spokenrope c7

United States
    Osmosis.

20. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    For my standard grades (the scottish equivalent of A levels) I literally took out a maths text book. Took my blank maths jotter and just copied the questions and copied the answers from the back of the text book. In front few of my parents.

While my parents were going "awwww, he's studying" my sister (that bitch) saw through the plan and said, "HE'S NOT EVEN PUTTING EFFORT INTO IT". Luckily my parent's rubbished it. I passed a lot of subjects in standard grades thankfully but the fact that I'm in my last few weeks of college with no job is a harsh reality.... somehow even the job at McDonalds sounds tempting even if the food isn't.