Hacking How do you get ScummVM DS running on EZ4?

CWar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Does it even work? I'm using EZ4 Lite and Superkey combo. I tried transfering the compiled file in .nds, .nd.gba, using the explorer and ez4 client. All didn't work. If I transfer using the explorer in .nds, a white screen comes up. In .nd.gba in explorer and client, the GBA intro comes up, but then gets stuck there. Transfering .nds using the client doesn't work at all as it crashes open sending. Help.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have had it working on my EZ4 for a while now so yes it does work, you will need to mkae the file up and transfer it via explorer (EZ4 client will try and patch the rom which will break it).
I used these instructions (winzip was the cause of a few people's troubles but I use 7zip so it was all good):
* Download the binary release of ScummVM DS from this page. Unzip the archive into a folder.
* Store your game files into a zip file, making sure to choose the 'No compression' option. If you don't do this, it won't work. If you have more than one game, put them in different folders in the ZIP.
* Check to see whether the games you have are supported by build A or B, using the table of supported games below. You cannot mix games from builds A and B in the same Zip.
* Put the zip file into the directory with ScummVM DS, calling it 'scummdata-a.zip' or 'scummdata-b.zip', depending on which build you're using. Make sure the games will fit on your flash card. The total size off the games cannot exceed 30Mb because of the limitation of the GBA cart bus.
* Double click on the builddata-a.bat or builddata-b.bat as appropriate file to build your ROM image
* Using your GBA flash cartridge software, burn 'scummvm-a-widthdata.ds.gba' or 'scummvm-b-withdata.ds.gba' onto your flash cartridge.
* Boot your GBA using PassMe, FlashMe, or WiFiMe as appropriate
* Enjoy!

If it doesn't work, check that your ZIP file is built with no compression!

For anyone wondering, SCUMMVMDS homepage:
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/

CWar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Didn't work. Do I have to use .nds or .ds.gba? Using .nds, it just gets stuck on the loader. Using .ds.gba, it's just stuck on the GBA intro.

I already used Store as the compression method using 7zip, then compiled it using the correct build (A in this case for Sam & Max).

VomitOnLino

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Didn't work. Do I have to use .nds or .ds.gba? Using .nds, it just gets stuck on the loader. Using .ds.gba, it's just stuck on the GBA intro.

I already used Store as the compression method using 7zip, then compiled it using the correct build (A in this case for Sam & Max).
I think you need to use the bog-standard zip, worked for me and my ez4lite. Altough I haven't tried Sam&Max yet. But Monkey Island 1+2, Beneath A Steel Sky, Indy 3+4 and Day of The Tentacle work just dandy.

CWar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
So how exactly do I get this the bog standard zip? I assume store would be no compression, since the others are like, normal, ultra, medium, etc. as in winrar and 7zip programs. I tried just uploading the non compiled file, scummvm-a.ds.gba. It always gets stuck on the GBA intro. And the other one, scummvm-a.nds, gets stuck in the EZ4 loader. I've downloaded the latest ScummVM DS v0.61, and the latest EZ4 loader v1.66.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
scumm0av.jpg

This is what my 7zip compression looked like when I done it, I have not tired Sam and Max but the monkey island (1 and 2) games worked fine.

CWar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
yup, that's what I did as well, it's a no go. Have you tried putting the scummvm-a.ds.gba into EZ4 to see if it loads? Because even the core file wouldn't load on mine.

res1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Have the exact same problem as Cwar, and zipped Indy 4 with 7zip with the settings displayed in FAST6191's post.

RedIce

Trophies
Website
zer0z.deviantart.com
XP
Country
btw, can anyone tell me what to do with the humongous audio?
The realeases i have of DOTT and Sam and Max have huge monster.sog files, which are well above 30 megs... can anyone tip me off in the right direction for this please?

ZildjianKX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does saving work for anyone? I seem to only be able to save to SRAM, and never to an actual file, so when the SRAM is cleared, the gamesave is gone... is there a work around for the EZ?

redefinedx

Trophies
XP
Country
patch with the ez4 client and saves will be copied to the card
i have gotten beneath a steel sky nontalkie to work but i can only save once, the second time i try to save it locks up. might work better with other games

ZildjianKX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would you mind telling us how you managed to get it to work? Unless you're not using EZ4.

I just followed the directions from above. Used WinRAR to make a non-compressed zip file with monkey island 2's files, ran the bat file, uploaded the .gba version, ran fine.

Edit - There really is no point of running ScummVM on the EZ if saves don't work anyways.

CWar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
So let me get this straight.

1. Store games in zip, no compression..... check
2. Compile games using the correct zip name and loader...... check
3. Transfer game to card via explorer...... check
4. Load in EZ4 using NDS loader..... stuck in GBA intro

Anyone have any clue why this is happening? Others seems to have no problem with it, other than me and res1. The games work on the PC ScummVM. I've re-downloaded the ScummVM DS, still didn't work.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Anyone have any clue why this is happening? Others seems to have no problem with it, other than me and res1. The games work on the PC ScummVM. I've re-downloaded the ScummVM DS, still didn't work.

First of all, are you using ScummVM DS 0.4 (newer versions won't work with EZ4).
1. and 2. are ok. But do this next:
3. Open the *.ds.gba file in EZ4Client, enter a name, click add save patch and select SRAM. Rename the output .gba to .ds.gba and the output .sav to .ds.sav.
4. is ok again

That should do it with saving. Good luck
smile.gif

ZildjianKX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

First of all, are you using ScummVM DS 0.4 (newer versions won't work with EZ4).
1. and 2. are ok. But do this next:
3. Open the *.ds.gba file in EZ4Client, enter a name, click add save patch and select SRAM. Rename the output .gba to .ds.gba and the output .sav to .ds.sav.
4. is ok again

That should do it with saving. Good luck
smile.gif

Umm... I got the latest ScummVM working last night on my EZ.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As far as I know SRAM saving is broken in the latest release, at least on M3 SD. It runs, but it doesn't save properly (only on CF)...
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse