how do you fit a Hori sreen protectors

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by nerd1, Jun 28, 2006.

Jun 28, 2006
  1. nerd1
    OP

Newcomer nerd1 Advanced Member

Australia
    just got a hori screen protector for my DS lite but the instructions are all in japanese

I didnt want to try to install it until i figure out what goes where...

there's a smaller hard plastic that is just a tad smaller than the bottom screen ... i figure that it must be for that ... but I dunno

2. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    the harder plastic screen protector is for the touch screen. both are slightly smaller than the frames that they fit into. it's been awhile since I did one of these, but if I recall, the installation procedure is as follows:

you'll want to try and work in a dust free environment to begin with. the screen and the screen protectors both attract dust like magnets. try moving everything to your bathroom and run the shower (on hot) for a few minutes to steam up the room and cause the dust particles to fall from the air.
    then wait a few minutes more for the temperature in the room to return to normal (you don't want your ds all wet with condensation).

applying the screen protector:
    peel back the protective covering from one side of the screen protector (this should be the side that easier to peel back) and the thicker of the two protective layers covering the actual screen protector. starting at one side (or one corner), place the screen protector in place and moving from that side (or corner) work out any bubbles with your fingers (I use a soft cloth over my fingers) as you move across the face of the screen slowly.
    you're trying to push any bubbles from where you started to the edges where they have an easier time of escaping from between the ds's screen and the screen protector.

once, the screen protector is in place, use the pull tab to release the protective coating on the external side of the screen protector.

good luck! [​IMG]

3. F34R

Member F34R GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just put my hori on two days ago, and I had the same problem with the instructions. I just placed each one over the screen, before applying them, to see where they fit. Here ya go:

The smaller of the two goes on the touch screen. There are three layers on each piece you have.

First peel off the bottom layer. That can be tossed in the trash. Now you have a tabbed layer that is sitting on top of the actualy protector you are about to apply. Just start from the left side of the screen protector. Make sure you line it up properly. What you'll do is basically roll from the left to the right. The right side will have the tab on it. Place the screen protectors left side down on the screen and slowly let it drop/roll from left to right. As you lay it down, you'll notice that you won't be trapping any bubbles if you are doing it evenly. Once you get all the way to the right, grab the tab, and pull from right to left. Now you have applied the screen protector to the touch screen. Follow the exact same process with the larger protector for the top screen.

As thieves stated...

the touch screen portion is a little smaller than the entire screen. If you'll notice that there is a very small black border around the touch screen. This is where you want the edges of your screen protector to be.

The top screen protector fits the ENTIRE screen. All the way to the white borders.

4. ZildjianKX

Member ZildjianKX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Have you noticed the screen protector leaving "goo" on the screen? Some of the Play-Asia reviews mentioned that...

5. Chanser

Member Chanser :o

Macau
    Nope never seen any goo, if there was then just wipe it off.

6. ZildjianKX

Member ZildjianKX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Anyone looking to buy a screen protector for the DSL, I would not recommend the Gamemate ones from Divineo.cn

They are terrible.

http://www.divineo.cn/cgi-bin/div-cn/dsl-proseal

"Goo" stayed on from the adhesive applicator tabs, and they bubble very easily.

I ordered the Hori ones from Play-Asia, I'm hoping they are a lot better.

7. g.crow

Member g.crow beide mittelfinger hoch

United States
    can you remove the protectors easily (especially from the touch screen) without any damage?

mars

8. nerd1
    OP

Australia
    thanks guys for the instructions will attempt at installing them tonight [​IMG]

9. kelvinate

Member kelvinate GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Instead of running steam in the bath room. get some sticky tape and lightly dap it on the screen to remove any dust. also work from one corner to the opposite corner letting the screen stick on itself and dont force it on. after the cover and on and dust free then press it lightly (it is a lcd screen after all!)

10. TheVirus

Member TheVirus GBAtemp Fan

Uganda
    Went to Best Buy and got the Pelican Write & Protect Pack for the DS Lite. It has 2 stylii and a cloth and a screen protector for the top and bottom. The bottom one is amazing. It went on flawlessly with 0 bubbles on the first try. I just wiped the touch screen clean with the cloth and applied it. I peeled off a bit from the sticky part of the protector and then used the card to apply it a bit at a time, while continuing to peel the part away. It went on flawlessly, I am very impressed. Well worth 8 bucks.

11. nerd1
    OP

Australia
    well it didnt go perfect. I got a bubble on the top screen that I applied first. I saw it half way applying it and i lift it up a bit and reapplied a few times to try and get the bubble out. even pressing down real hard on it, it just wont disappear.

then the bottom screa same thing [​IMG] though its a smaller bubble.

after I gave up getting rid of the bubbles I turned the DSL on and found that the bubble is not noticable because of the bright screen [​IMG]

I dont know if I will see if if I'm playing something (probably will) dark. And the the bubble on the touch pad doesnt seem to have any problems either.

12. kelvinate

Member kelvinate GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    If the bubble stays there after a few times there could be a piece of dust stuck there. If not try to use a soft card (business card) to slowly move the bubble out. be patient with it.

13. pirate_arrh

Newcomer pirate_arrh Advanced Member

New Zealand
    How do you remove these? Just peel it off?

14. x_comp

Member x_comp GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    The instructions say that you get a bit of cellophane tape (cellotape), stick it to a corner of the protector and pull it off slowly. Haven't tried it myself but, that's what people say too.

15. astroblack

Newcomer astroblack Newbie

United States
  16. x_comp

Member x_comp GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    Yeah, they should work. They're just the same except the DS Lite ones have another layer on the touch screen protector to make it smoother to use the stylus on.

17. Remy

Member Remy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    these hori protectors work great. unfortunately, mine has a weird scratch on it, but other than that, it's perfect.

anyone know if there are solvants that can fix a scratched screen protector?

18. Nestea80

Member Nestea80 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I also got a hori protector. It works like a charm ... although ... I didn't apply the touch screen properly. Like, i made it flush left ... I never knew how big it was ... I thought it would fit perfectly. So now on the left, there's a very very slight "border" ... but it's barely noticeable. And I know it's possible to remove the hori protector by using some really strong tape. Both protectors went on flawlessly on first try. I did it in the bathroom ... where there's less dust. And I held my breath while applying. I used the scotch tape beforehand ... to remove all particles off the screen.

19. MrSpam

Newcomer MrSpam Member

United States
    My Hori is great, but on a slight portions of 1 side, it's slightly wrinkled, so a small area bumps up and creates a bubble that I can't force down. Can anyone help me out with that?

20. CWar

Member CWar GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    I've just gotten the Hori. I'm pretty disappointed that the surface didn't feel as smooth as the DSL touch screen, or my previous pelican protectors. The protector itself didn't fit the whole screen like the Pelican. So applying it was quite a pain. I had to align it exactly in the middle so as to leave as little space as possible, while keeping all the dust out. But it is very scratch resistant. Whereas my Pelican was already scratched up beyond belief because of a chip in my stylus (I didn't even realized it when playing Trauma Center frantically), using the same stylus, the Hori didn't get scratched at all.

But is it just me, or is the touch screen protecter less smooth than the top screen? Feels a little bit like soft plastic.