How do you FEEL about fu**ing updates in general? :)

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I already told you with my question how i feel about it :)

How about you?

3bfa6fe25efe97143d7512120d89b17118fb2e6c2c0096f46d10eaa7bdc27c30.jpg

Reactions: Xzi

YOUCANTSTOPME

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My gripe with updates is how FREQUENT they are.

(Just an example) Instead of pushing out an update every week with 2 updates, push one out every month with 8.

Also, mega huge patches. For Call of Duty games, I have seen 10gb-20gb updates every few months, LOL.

Don't even get me started on giant Day 1 "patches" (patches in quotes because the game wasn't actually finished in many cases).

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Once or twice a month, fine. Fuck Adobe acrobat/reader though lol. Asks for an update every single time I start my PC.
I was lacy to remove adobe logo xD i just use this pic as a meme in general, not to point out to adobe....but...yeah :P

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
My gripe with updates is how FREQUENT they are.

(Just an example) Instead of pushing out an update every week with 2 updates, push one out every month with 8.

Also, mega huge patches. For Call of Duty games, I have seen 10gb-20gb updates every few months, LOL.

Don't even get me started on giant Day 1 "patches" (patches in quotes because the game wasn't actually finished in many cases).
Now that i think about it, i wonder if sega patched sonic 06 day one, would it be a good game still...

As you said, its the frequency and nagging and size of it thats annoying!

I wish they finish their games and make everything as it should and tested, and not to use gamers as beta testers. Updates imo should be purely optional to already finished and tested games.

I dont know these days, but i remember when finished some games in the past and saw credit scenes there was always wall of names under "testers" ...i dont know if that job still exists....

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm glad you didn't remove it, it reminded me to install an alternative PDF reader/editor. :lol:
Oh! please do tell if you find one good looking, free, and functional as adobe, id also like to know! oh and without nagging for updates or to confirm eula every once in a while....

Reactions: Sono

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to say what is very annoying updates, is the ones that updates automatically without your approval. Adobe Acrobat Pro is bad for this, but hay at least you can copy the updater installer someplace else for archiving in case you need to reinstall Acrobat Pro again for whatever reason.

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Personally I don't have an intercourse with the updates, I usually download and install them only.

Auto-updates can go to hell. The only exception is ONLINE games, where it's prefectly understandable that the people who host the servers don't want any exploits or bugs affecting others' gameplay.

Any other updates shall shut up, and I'll update when I have the NEED to update. I don't want to auto-update OFFLINE programs, and especially not games.

Forced automatic updates are the worst. They are the main culprit of breaking your shit you bought for full price, rendering it unusable just because of a fucky-wucky they didn't test. I don't even have to bring up any examples, it's obvious what I'm talking about.

There is also the "update mob", who will bully you for using older versions of something. Software (OS, game, compiler, etc.) or hardware (phone, console, PC components, etc.), it doesn't matter.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, this depends. If a piece of software is a frequently used entry point for automated attacks I’m quite happy if each known vulnerability is removed as soon as possible. On the Windows OS this gets annoying because every last applications brings it’s own updater – in addition to the OS updates once a month.

All major browsers install a custom service for silent updates. I do not really know what to think about this. On the one side it is convenient on the other side it brings a huge amount of complexity and overhead if every application (or software vendor) installs their own background service – and possible problems if auto updates break something.

About PC games: I dislike not having any physical medium. Having to download HUGE games is a pain for people with slow internet connection – and if a “patch” is just like redownloading the complete game this is unacceptable. I mean: If they change something on the executable files this should not result in a new download of graphics and soundtrack. (I’m not much into PC gaming and my “newest” PC game is from about 2003 or so.)

======
All in all: I’m quite happy that everything I do on my computer works with Linux and I can simply use the package manager to update everything.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

Updates are good and has their entitlement.
For Homebrew like for Example @Robz8´s TWiLight Menu or @Gericom´s GBARunner they are very Important and absolute welcome.:yay:

With Steam/GOG on Games is it relative simple but for me TOO obscure and feel "treated like a child".
Updates - YES but then please meaningful and detailed Update Logs.
You can say what you want,Windows is exemplary on this.:P

This Kind of Updates are for me personal ok:

- Update 1.01 - Fixed a Bug on Language Settings (0.5 MB)
or
- Update 1.01 - Game supports now more Resolutions/VGA Cards (2.3 MB)
(I think this Kind of Updates are extinct...)

This Kind of Updates are for me personal NOT ok:

(Game is only 5 Minutes available on the (Online)Stores:

- Update 0.99 - Fixed some minor issues with.....(1.65 GB)
- Update 0.99 - Update Removed of Issues with....
or
- Update 1.01 - Fixed some Issues..... (79 MB)
- update 1.02 - Fixed some Issues after Update 1.01.... (563 MB)
- Update 1.03 - Fixed some Issues after the Update from 1.01 to 1.02.... (2.8 GB)
- Update 2.00 - REMOVED the Feature after updating to Version 1.03.... (34.25 GB)
or
-Update 2.01 - Following (old) Hardware no longer supported...
or

Thank you.:)

Reactions: DinohScene

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
I think it depends.
I find it really annoying when I want to use a software and it nags me to update. Paint.NET has a really good version of this, though. While it notifies you about a new update when you open it, there's an 'Install when I exit' button. More programs should have this.

Reactions: MetoMeto and Sono

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh! please do tell if you find one good looking, free, and functional as adobe, id also like to know! oh and without nagging for updates or to confirm eula every once in a while....
Sumatra PDF is the one I went with. It's perfect if you want a fast, minimalist open source reader.

Foxit Reader seems good if you're looking for something a bit more full-featured and customizable. Not sure if it has any sort of regular nag though.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Updates are good and important.
It is nice to see that the developer still work and try to fix whatever issue the Code has and or inprove it.

But yeah updates can be annoying especially when you can not properly turn them off as you need old programm versions sometimes.

YOUCANTSTOPME

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't you love it when something auto updates, and then suddenly doesn't work anymore? I've had that happen in the past.

Looking at you Firefox extensions...

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm glad you didn't remove it, it reminded me to install an alternative PDF reader/editor. :lol:
Sumatra, but the custom build with restrictions disabled
Foxit used to be the most reputable competitor until it also got too large and (iirc) too naggy freemium

And yeah, screw mystery updates (actually the main reason I boycott google play services) and their cultural effect of having made releasing broken products without the burden of a recall acceptable

Last edited by Ryccardo,

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I really hate them on Xbox One. Oh you want to play? well fuck you. You have to update or I won't let you play your always online game that doesn't really need online. Otherwise, I am fine with updates as long as it doesn't block you from using the device for no valid reason.

Last edited by fvig2001,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It really depends for me.

On android and linux (mint), I generally like them because they're so unobtrusive. Updates happen whenever you want and in the background. Restarting is only needed in the rarest of moments.

Some programs push things a bit, though. Steam, for example...a couple hundreds of megabyte worth in patches roughly every other week, but at the end the program still looks every bit the same. I suspect them they just package some game images into their patch so they can push more potential games down people's throat.

Windows (which I use at work) infuriates me. At least it doesn't interrupt to close down your work anymore, but just about every other time I want to close down or start up the thing it insists on minute-long "please wait. Don't shut down your computer" messages (WHY THE FUCK DOES IT SAY THAT AT A TIME I AM TRYING TO DO EXACTLY THAT????).

Also: I don't play AAA-titles anymore. And I'm glad for it. Several gigabytes worth of patches? Just how stupid are those programmers anyway?

Finally: console updates. Those are a bit of a guilty pleasure. Of course I ignore them (it's hardly ever broken for end users, so why fix it?). But I generally like those parodies on the release notes ("stability intensifies!" "console now so stable it'll prevent any ripping of spacetime continuum"...and so on). :P

Sumatra PDF is the one I went with. It's perfect if you want a fast, minimalist open source reader.

Foxit Reader seems good if you're looking for something a bit more full-featured and customizable. Not sure if it has any sort of regular nag though.
Heh...I was going to post the same programs with pretty much literally the same reason. :P

(foxit was my first choice. I can't really remember why I switched later. But either are fine. And magnitudes better than whatever adobe puts out).

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only updates that bother me are ones that cause issues or reduce enjoyment. "Free" phone app/game creators seem to be the worst for that. How many times do you see reviews like "was working fine till the last update".

Last edited by subcon959,
Reactions: MetoMeto and Sono

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Windows (which I use at work) infuriates me. At least it doesn't interrupt to close down your work anymore, but just about every other time I want to close down or start up the thing it insists on minute-long "please wait. Don't shut down your computer" messages (WHY THE FUCK DOES IT SAY THAT AT A TIME I AM TRYING TO DO EXACTLY THAT????).
...and quoting myself because it happened again: user brings in her computer that's stuck in an endless update loop. I check the error log online and come to the following garbage (source):

It is best to allow your computer to sit for at least 10 hours without pressing buttons or trying to restart it. Even in the best of conditions, this error will take a minimum of thirty minutes to resolve itself.

So those working from home and not feeling like working...you can just call your boss, saying that you've got a "Failure Configuring Windows Updates Reverting Changes Error on Your Computer" error. It'll take up to about 10 hours to fix itself. :angry:

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
The only updates that bother me are ones that cause issues or reduce enjoyment. "Free" phone app/game creators seem to be the worst for that. How many times do you see reviews like "was working fine till the last update".
I didn't just saw, i experienced that sh*t many times!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu