How do you edit DS graphics with GBA 8bpp color mode?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by jjjewel, Dec 30, 2009.

1. jjjewel
    OP

Member jjjewel GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I'm trying to edit some graphics from a DS game and so far I didn't have any problems if the graphics are in GBA 4bpp mode. But when it comes to GBA 8bpp mode, I have no idea how to pick the right color and make the same color effects as the original.

Like in the picture below. The bottom one is the original and you can see different shades of green in the text, but when I edited it (I used GIMP's text tool) I could only pick one color for my English text. Is there any programs or techniques to put more shades in the text?

[​IMG]

I'm such a newbie for both rom hacking and graphic editing, so detailed explanation will be much appreciated. Thank you so much. [​IMG]

EDITED: Problem solved.
    The actual cause of my problem was that I set the Image Mode as "Indexed" instead of "RGB". That was why my text never showed anti-aliasing effects that way I want. Now that I changed it to "RGB" mode, everything works just fine.

P.S. If anyone has this same problem, you can set image mode at "Image" menu and then select "Mode", set it to "RGB". (Same procedure in both GIMP and Photoshop.) Then use Anti-Alias when you select the Text tool.

2. Eon-Rider

Member Eon-Rider GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    I believe the term is anti-aliasing. I've never been really into image editing so you're on your own with what you're trying to accomplish.

3. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    The difference between your text and the original game text is anti-aliasing. Some fonts aren't too good with it especially at smaller sizes.
    If Gimp supports text styles -- Sharp, Crisp, Strong, Smooth -- like Photoshop (but not Pain.net), setting it to Smooth can help to give you the look you want.

As for supporting different graphics modes... I've always used TileMolester.

4. jjjewel
    OP

United States
    Oh, so it's called anti-aliasing. I've seen that in GIMP but never paid attention. [​IMG] I'll try it.

Thanks both Eon-Rider [​IMG] and twiztidsinz [​IMG] sooooo much.

(twiztidsinz, I don't think I've seen the --> text styles -- Sharp, Crisp, Strong, Smooth in GIMP but maybe I just haven't used it long enough. (Photoshop always crashed my computer for some reason. Maybe my computer is just too old. T T)

Again, thanks so much.

5. Blazer

Member Blazer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If your graphic data is compressed, you can uncompress it using Nintenlord's Compressor, Puyo Tools, Wingrit, or some other program based on your compression. You can view graphics in various different graphic modes using GBA Graphics Editor or as said, Tile Molester, although I prefer the first by far since it is less buggy for me and has quite a bit more functionality (especially with map data/TSA).

GBA Graphics Editor can also view LZ77-10 compressed data so you won't have to manually decompress graphic data every time you want to view it.

6. Poryhack

Member Poryhack GBAtemp Fan

United States
    They're almost certainly going to be located and named differently (GIMP != Photoshop after all).

Photoshop is quite a resource-heavy program, but I don't think that would cause crashes. Just a couple days ago after switching graphics cards I found that Photoshop apparently cannot work with ATI's Radeon X850 drivers. Luckily I could switch cards with one of the other computers in my family (that isn't ever going to run Photoshop).

7. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    Photoshop works well. (Try anti alias)
    Also, if its the palettes you are worried about, photoshop lets you save a picture using a certain palette. If you need help on that you can always post a reply.

8. jjjewel
    OP

United States
    Thanks Blazer [​IMG], Poryhack [​IMG], and psycoblaster [​IMG] too.

Actually I don't have problem with the Tile Editor or the palettes. I'm using CrystalTile2 and its import/export graphic functions work very well. I can export part of the graphic as .bmp and use some external programs to edit the graphic and then import it back to the game.

My only problem is that when the graphic is in 8bpp mode, the colors are more complicated. And I have no idea how to maintain the nice color shades when I edit the text. Like when I use the dropper tool to pick color, I can pick only one color. So I can't make that shading effects like the original Japanese text. Anyhow, I'll keep experimenting with some other tools. (Just tried GIMP's anti-alias but I don't think it made any difference for my text.) If all fails, I might try it with Photoshop. [​IMG]

9. Poryhack

Member Poryhack GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you're applying antialiasing to the font it should look similar to the japanese text. The color shades you're seeing are actually varying levels of transparency (of the same color) used to give edges a smoother look. Once the text is flattened onto the base layer you get a different color.

At certain sizes some fonts designed to be used without antialiasing will not show it, but, assuming it's enabled, most fonts should have varying levels of transparency used to smooth the edges.

10. Inunah

Banned Inunah The Female Mistaken for a Male.

United States
    Hey if you give me the no-text image and the name of the font you want used, i'll fiddle around until I find the exact effect you need in Gimp.. I know I can do that stuff. I'm sure of it!

I know people above said anti-aliasing, but so far I haven't seen anything with that name in Gimp (I'm using the newest version, so if it didn't look almost exactly like the older versions I'd be unfamiliar with it!), so that's why i'm offering to help! [​IMG]

11. twiztidsinz

United States
    Anti-aliasing isn't some exclusive term/feature, nor is it new.

12. Inunah

Banned Inunah The Female Mistaken for a Male.

United States
    >.> Then how come I don't know how to do it and have never seen it in gimp or photoshop?

13. twiztidsinz

United States
    Do you REALLY want me to answer why you've never seen it? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    Just using anti-alias won't work because the fader color created by anti aliasing may not be in the palette.
    If you use photoshop, there is an option which you can save for web, and you can save the palette that the image is using so once you are done editing it, you can save using the original palette.

15. jjjewel
    OP

United States
    Okay, may be I really have to consider installing Photoshop. [​IMG]

And here's for Inunah, if you fee like trying. [​IMG] (Thanks so much.) Pics with original text and the blank one. You can use any font you like. If you succeed in making the effect, please let me know how you did it. [​IMG]

Original (The text means "New Game")
    [​IMG]

Blank
    [​IMG]
    (You can right-click and save the picture.)

The size is very small though. That might be why anti-aliasing didn't work? If anyone likes to give it a try, please help. And as psycoblaster said in the last post that the colors must not vary from the original or it will not work when imported back to the game.

Anyway, it's not a serious issue. I think the players won't care much about the color though. It just bothers me as I want to keep the color as close as possible to the original.

FYI, the whole thing will look like this.
    [​IMG]

And this is the edited version I made. (I started to think that it might look better with other fonts. [​IMG])
    [​IMG]

16. twiztidsinz

United States
    [​IMG]

I used the same color of the Japanese text.

17. jjjewel
    OP

United States
    Wow, twiztidsinz, that looks nice. Would you mind sharing the knowledge how you made that? Do I really require Photoshop to do that or can I just use any graphic editing program? (Currently I have GIMP on my computer.)

By the way, happy new year to all of you. [​IMG]

18. twiztidsinz

United States
    To replicate exactly what I did, I believe you will need to use Photoshop...
    But to get close, it's not that hard. Here is what I did (step by basic step):[*]Dropper Tool - Find a dark pixel or two and select color of the Japanese text.[*]Dropper Tool - Color Swap the text color to secondary and pick the color of the background.[*]Pencil / Brush - New Layer and cover the Japanese text with the background color.[*]Text Tool - Color swap text color to primary and type out the English text.
    • Font Name : Segoe UI
    • Font Style : Regular
    • font Size : 8
    • Anti-Aliasing : Strong
    [*]Move Tool - Hide the layer covering the Japanese text, move the English text into place.[*]Show the layer covering the Japanese text, Save As png/jpg.
    Most of this should be easily do-able in GIMP and Pain.NET. And while I don't believe that GIMP supports Anti-Aliasing styles, so you wont get a perfect match, you might be able to come close by using a Semi-Bold Font Style.

19. jjjewel
    OP

United States
    Thank you sooooooooo much, twiztidsinz [​IMG]. After I downloaded and installed Photoshop CS4 and tried your method, I finally found out that the actual cause of my problem was that I set the Image Mode as "Indexed" instead of "RGB". That was why my text never showed anti-aliasing effects that way I want. Now that I changed it to "RGB" mode, everything works just fine.

Thank you so much and thanks everyone for helping as well. [​IMG]

20. twiztidsinz

United States
    Ohhhh I never even thought about that!
    Indexed doesn't support layers so I always use RGB and convert/switch to RGB without even thinking.
    Anyway, glad you've got it working properly! Best of luck to you and happy new year.