OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
There comes a time in every gamer's life when they have to make some difficult choices when it comes to their game library. "Do I buy this or rent it?", "I've played this game as much as I can, do I sell it?", "Is it worth keeping even though I don't like it for the sake of a collection?". I've recently found myself wondering what GameCube games I should trade in when I get my Wii (to lower the price). And I realised some of these were tough calls.

For example, I've played Sonic Adventure DX as much as I can, same goes for Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. And while I'm historically a Sonic fan, I was left asking myself: "Are these games I'll most-likely never play again worth keeping purely because I once called myself a Sonic fan?" (my status as a hardcore Sonic fan changed with the advent of Sonic Heroes, which I pretty much despise, and plan to sell even though I've never beaten it). However, I digress, the purpose of this topic is simple, how do you define your game library? What makes the cut for a game you'll buy versus a game you'd rent, or a game you'd keep versus a game you'd sell?

For me, I'd have to say it's purely replay value, there's just no point in me owning a game I'd never play just to know I own the game. There are some epic games that you can play and play again until the end of time, despite knowing the story backwards and forwards, and then there are others which are sub-par, but still enjoyable. Take most licensed games for example, most of them can be beaten in a day or two, and don't offer anything in the longterm. So in my opinion, most of those games are just rentable. I for one am a huge SpongeBob fan, and I've found most of the games really enjoyable, but despite my status as a fan I've never bought one, only rented and beaten within that amount of time. Same goes for Luigi's Mansion. Rented it, loved it, beat it. But there's nothing that would bring me back to it, which is why it never entered my collection.

If it's a game I can stand to play again and again, then it's worth purchasing and keeping.

Heinrisch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I used to save every thing.. I still have my game and watch games in their original boxes. However, nowdays I have barley time to play game once..

If you have time.. keep every thing!
smile.gif

forkyfork

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you don't really think you'll play it again, there's really no need to keep it.

The only exception is if you think the game will go up in value in a few years. But that's really hit or miss. For example, FF7 is selling for $50+ on ebay, but ff8 is still pretty cheap.

With the internet, you can safely sell a lot of games and know that if you REALLY want to, you can get them later on down the road, usually at a cheaper price.

I think trading games though is pretty silly, unless you can really make it worth your while.

Magus19

Trophies
Website
rotdteam.sourceforge.net
XP
Country
Canada
I buy everything new(I have a little more than 30 GC games and I only bought like 3 game used because of the low price)and I keep everything. I sold my snes and game gear back then to buy a N64 and I still regret selling those, but not buying the N64(it was great). I ended up buying a new snes from ebay and I'm in the process of rebuilding my game collection. The biggest mistake I made is buying a PSP and I tought about selling it but I wont because I'm sure some day a game will interest me.

Maybe you shouldn't listen to my opinion seriously because I'm a collector and can be a little crazy about the game boxes and stuff and I don't even play games that much... I spend much more time reading on game than playing them, I just need to have everything on launch day and yes I'll get a Wii on launch, but that I'll probably play it alot hehe, well at least initialy...

QUOTE said:
1,400 games and going strong (with over 1,000 of them still factory sealed). retirement here I come (either that or I'll open a shop). happy.gif

Cool you can actualy keep them sealed? I have some old nes hardware(the aladdin or something) and a couple games for it sealed and I want to play them so bad even if they really look boring, haha. But I won't open them because they looks somewhat rare and maybe later it can be worth alot of money so that I'll never sell it, ever. I also have a sealed cube that I won but I have another cube so I don't really care about it.

SlyGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Generally, I buy games with infinite replay value. Generally, those games are either multi-player games or massive-multi-player games. For example: Mario Kart, NHL, FIFA, Goldeneye, Virtua Fighter, World of Warcraft, Heroes V. Single player games like Resident Evil and Legend of Zelda, though amazingly fun, tend to make my rental list.

Resident0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I mostly buy football games (soccer) because i play those games non stop, i bought Football Manager 2005 for my PC and didn't stop playing it until Football Manager 2006 for 360 came out, and im playing that right now.

But for most games like adventure/platform jobs i got tired of those a long time ago so i mostly just rent those, or borrow from friends, the next adventure game im likely to get will be Dead Rising or Test Drive Unlimited (which is driving i know)!

D

Deleted User

I'm just buying everything (new/not used) that really interests me! And I also try to keep all the stuff I bought because I sold so many things back in the days when I was a kid and now I am honestly regretting it.
But I can't keep anything sealed, never (neither games nor hardware) and regardless of the fact if I'll play (with) it or not! This way I keep myself from selling anything (and my showcases filled). It's the same with my DVD collection though.
happy.gif

My respect to you thieves like us, 1.000 still factory sealed games is a tremendous amount! I know for sure I couldn't stand that!
bow.gif
Do you mind if I ask how long did it take you to get so much games?

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I keep everything I buy, because I only buy titles I feel are worth buying. That's how I define my game library.
I would have to agree with this as well. I usually only go for games that have either good replay value or a game that just generally take abit of time to complete (say 12+ hours... games like GTA or Advance Wars). Even if there's a game that is really good I seriously doubt that I would speng my hard-earned cash on a few hours of gaming entertainment when I can put it towards something else...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr