How do you cope with games that are too difficult?

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm playing Jotun and I love it, the art is beautiful, the story is captivating, the voice acting is top notch, the mechanics are simple enough and I have a lot of fun, until it comes to the boss fights.

I know there are more difficult games out there but for some reason I just can't beat these damn bosses. I've beaten 2 out of 5 and as much as I love the game, the difficulty is super frustrating and makes me stop playing, for all of 30 minutes then I'm drawn back into the game.

There is no difficulty slider either as far as I'm aware. Which is a shame, as I feel as though I'm going to give up on a game that I enjoy for the most part, simply because I'm not good enough.

Have any of you guys had a problem with a games difficulty? How do you overcome it?

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GameGenie, Gameshark, Action Replay, some other game enhancer or built in codes, or try until I can see I'm having no further improvement, can't stand it and stop playing.

Reactions: MichiS97

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
regret buying it

jk you fucking beat it like a real man, it's a game not damn rocket science

i beat games but sometimes it takes me years to go back to them and just get the urge to beat them in one sitting

Preem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usually my biggest factor is determining how much I want to dedicate to beating a difficult game is time and my love for it! My greatest example is Zelda BoTW. I love the franchise overall and I wanted BoTW to be difficult in the first 15 minutes because I was in love with the whole open world Hyrule feel to it and wanted it to last a memorable 50+ hours of gameplay. In order for me to be dedicated to a game with a high difficulty then it means I'm immersed into it because of the gameplay or the story or both. If it's too difficult and I get no satisfaction out of it then I usually resolve to guides or just drop the game entirely then move onto the next one. Games like the Bioshock franchise, Crysis and more I have completed in hard mode to give me the incentive of enjoying the game longer since there is a higher probability that I will die more often. It's also an excuse to get better at the game if it's what you want. So here's my formula (Love for it>Difficulty Determination>Gameplay Time>Hone Your Button Mashing Skills>Personal Satisfaction)

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Patience, really. Many of these "masocore" games aren't too bad as long as you don't get salty about them. Not everyone can practice against the same thing for hours straight, however, so if it's too much for you, you should just try something else.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't have a lot of patience, so if I'm unable to beat a boss or level after numerous tries, I'll eventually give up. Depends on how much I love the game.
I love Banjo Kazooie to death, but to this day I've never beaten the final boss. I could never beat it as a kid, and I still can't beat it today.

Phemeto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rage and hate. Put the game down...think about for 30m while I do chores to relieve stress, then come on right back.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Depends on the game, but unless it's incredibly fun up until the point I can't proceed anymore there's a very high chance that I might ragequit.

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dark Souls immediately comes to mind. I can't beat that game. I just learn new things and come back later. I've still never beaten Dark Souls, and probably never will.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
noo89q4.png

Depends on the game though. If it's something I like, I'll just keep at it. Haven't come across a game I liked that I haven't beaten because it's "too hard" or anything.

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Drop the difficulty, cheat via cheat codes, action replay etc. I no longer have the time or patience for really hard games. (why I will never play dark souls)

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I keep on fighting the boss over and over again, if I can't, drop the game for a few days- attempt again when I have ample time during college holidays.
Still have to beat Megaman BN 5.

rehevkor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Face the challenge but if the difficulty starts to detract from the fun I see no problem in cheating to get through a game, rather that than giving up.

Start small with difficulty drops, then smaller cheats that won't totally remove gameplay challenges, like a money cheat..

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The number of these games with higher difficulty than normal has been increasing over these past few years. I, for one, welcome it. Many don't. And that's understandable. I looked at the trophies for bloodborne and around 35% or so of bloodborne buyers have not defeated the 1st boss. People just love to ignore the difficulty warnings that reviewers/consumers/players-in-general tend to give. Learn all about a game before you buy it. These games aren't for everyone, despite the hype they get.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a reason why cheats exist, but i would either recommend keep trying or stop playing, either way there is no shame in that, but you might be judged for cheating or quitting, so just keep it to yourself i guess to save some stress. :P

(KINGDOM HEARTS II FINAL MIX LINGERING WILL BOSS BATTLE):nayps3:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

For me it doesn't matter how hard a game is, if i care enough about a game then i keep practicing until i can overcome it consistently.
That is the speech of a gaming warrior, or a online fighting game player... online warrior. Oh wait, i'm speaking to MASTER BISON!!!! :creep:

Just do what any other warrior does, what does goku do? what does saitama do? what does Ryu do? :P

Reactions: cvskid

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends how much I enjoy playing it. If I enjoy it, I'll keep coming back until I am better at it. If I'm not enjoying it, will normally go on a back burner for a few weeks at least.

Depending on my patience, I may also google the issue I'm having.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sicklyboy, Hey