Hacking How do you convert GG codes to work with Snes9xGX?

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I'm playing super metroid redesign right now and I'm getting hung up at one really tough spot. I've downloaded the cheat code zip pack from the Snes9xGX site but it does not contain this one specific cheat code in the super metroid.cht file that I need. So I pulled it open in a hex editor hoping that I could easily dump in my cheat code, but it isn't going to work that easily. Does anyone know of a tool that can manage .cht files and convert the game genie cheat codes into the format that Snes9xGX uses?

Thanks.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
You need rename cht file same rom name. For example, super metroid design.cht for super metroid design.smc.
Yes, I've already done that and it has a bunch of cheats available but not the specific one that I need so I need to convert one from game genie format and put it in the cheat file that I already have. I guess I could have made that a little more clear.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the cheat format used for snes9x is one they seem to have come up with for themselves. its a binary format you can edit with a hex editor. basically you got a name, an offset, an optional compare value, and a replacement value. you can look at the source code for the exact format. they you get on your google machine and look for a gamegenie calculator. you plug in the GG codes and it will tell you the offset, new value, and optional compare value. then you just slap the new values into the .cht file for snes9x and hope for the best.

but be warned, there is a bug with the way cheats are handled in snes9x that have compare values. they are not applied every frame and give odd results. i brought up the issue to tantric and he pointed me to a bug report upstream in the official project for that very issue. id say that until it is fixed upstream, dont expect these codes to work as expected in the wii port.

if youre just bored and want to try it, i used a program called ggencoder as a base for converting game genie codes for punemu. its openy-sourcey and runs on all the PC platforms that support Qt.

http://games.technoplaza.net/ggencoder/qt/

from the snes9xgx svn,
Code:
struct SCheat
{
uint32  address;
uint8   byte;
uint8   saved_byte;
bool8   enabled;
bool8   saved;
char    name[22];
};

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Thank you pune.

Now I can finally continue this uber hard hack of the game. I've been stuck at this one spot for about 8 hours and you have to do wall jumping up to a really high point. My freaking thumbs are all bruised from playing this game so rough for the past couple of days.

Anyone who is a Metroid fan would love this. It takes the game to a whole new level of 'whoop your ass' tough.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just thought I might also add you can hardpatch some cheats in if you do have GG codes (not aware of any cheat tools in the vein of gabsharky and GBAATM for the older consoles) with tools like CCCGP- http://crackerscrap.com/projects.php

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c