How do you change an N64 Title Id?

SAORIxMEGUMIN

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't used a hex editor to understand where the titleid is located. I have several romhacks that have the same title id and want them separated. How would I do that?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In most systems you look up whatever ROM format (or emulator/flash cart format if said sets invented their own to make life easier) exists for your ROM, part of that will include some kind of unique identifier used in that (usually a serial or something in the header). Editing that with a hex editor is easy, most emulators and a lot of flash carts will have means to say "ignore the bad header, carry on" but you might have to fix the hash if there is one as well. Header viewing tools will often have such functionality if there are going to be hashes/checksums to worry about.

A warning though if emulators, ROM hacking tools, flash carts or cheats use this title id to figure out what to load as far as patches, fixes and said cheats as changing it will potentially mean you have to manually apply patches, force load a given ROM, or tweak the cheat database to see your new ROM.

In your case there apparently tools to do it
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/791/

Reactions: SAORIxMEGUMIN

SAORIxMEGUMIN

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In most systems you look up whatever ROM format (or emulator/flash cart format if said sets invented their own to make life easier) exists for your ROM, part of that will include some kind of unique identifier used in that (usually a serial or something in the header). Editing that with a hex editor is easy, most emulators and a lot of flash carts will have means to say "ignore the bad header, carry on" but you might have to fix the hash if there is one as well. Header viewing tools will often have such functionality if there are going to be hashes/checksums to worry about.

A warning though if emulators, ROM hacking tools, flash carts or cheats use this title id to figure out what to load as far as patches, fixes and said cheats as changing it will potentially mean you have to manually apply patches, force load a given ROM, or tweak the cheat database to see your new ROM.

In your case there apparently tools to do it
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/791/
I tried that and windows 10 flags it as a virus and deletes it so I didn't bother to try again.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tried that and windows 10 flags it as a virus and deletes it so I didn't bother to try again.
ROM hacking programs often get false flags -- they are often written in scripting languages, possibly get packed and their functions speak to altering other files (never mind those that interface with other files) which makes the heuristics of AV programs get a bit of a twitchy eye.

If you want to submit it to virus total and see what it says then carry on, if not I outlined the general idea.

Reactions: SAORIxMEGUMIN

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup