How do you access wi-fi on a DS through a WPA2-PSK connection?

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by Squirps, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Squirps
    OP

Member Squirps Official Squirps of GBATemp.net™

United States
    Hi, I have a DS Lite and DSi and I am trying to play games on the internet with it. Unfortunately, my internet router has a WPA2-PSK connection as opposed to a WEP connection, and I know that the DS Lite and DSi can only connect to routers with WEP security on it (to play DS games). Problem is, I am not allowed to switch the router to WEP security, so that rules that option of playing DS games over the internet. Is there any other way I can play on the internet? I see that there all of these threads about creating a soft-AP to make your computer (mine is connected to the WPA2-PSK AP) an AP which can have WEP security---please correct me if I am wrong, but does this allow you to connect to wi-fi, and is there any way to do it without spending any money? Sorry if there are threads already out there about this, I looked at some and I am really unsure of what to do...any help would be greatly appreciated! [​IMG]

2. Clydefrosch

Member Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    IF you can turn your pc into a soft ap, yes, then it would work, and for free.

but to be honest, i dont know of any program that creates a ds/lite compatible soft ap like that.

theres connectify, but that only works for dsi...

3. Squirps
    OP

United States
    Oh yeah, I'm also trying to make it work for my DSi too---didn't think I should have mentioned that, but well, if it works on either of them I'm happy.

4. Clydefrosch

Member Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    http://www.connectify.me/

well, then you might wanna try them, i know at one point, they added dsi support in some way or another

5. Squirps
    OP

United States
    Okay, I got it on my computer, but it's only letting me put WPA2-PSK security on it---is there a way to put WEP security on it instead?

6. Squirps
    OP

United States
    Okay, I just tried Connectify---it works with the DSi on connections 4, 5, and 6, but it doesn't work on connections 1, 2 and 3 because Connectify only allows me to set up the AP on my laptop with WPA2-PSK security. This pretty much defeats the purpose because the DS games aren't compatible with WPA2-PSK security, as was said before. There is also an ad-hoc WEP mode and an ad-hoc Open mode under the Hotspot mode, but it seems as if the DSi isn't compatible with it because it doesn't even recognize it on its list when it searches for APs.

Any other ideas? [​IMG]

7. Dr.Aqua

Member Dr.Aqua GBAtemp Regular

United States
    -_- Just change ur router to wep than. Wats ur router?

8. aiRWaLKRe

Member aiRWaLKRe GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You might want to reread his original post.

And TC what about those old wifi dongle nintendo used to make, they don't make them anymore. But wouldn't that send out a wep signal? That way the computer is connected with wpa2 and your ds connects to the dongle. At least I think it should work, if you can still find one

9. Dr.Aqua

United States
    I read that. But how do we know it cant be changed? Most router support it even more often than WPA
    WEP came first so more router have it compared to WpA

10. aiRWaLKRe

Member aiRWaLKRe GBAtemp Regular

United States
    He didn't say it can't be changed he said he is not allowed to change it so either it is parents router or a roommates router [​IMG]

But like said he might want to look into a wifi dongle to put on his computer

11. Squirps
    OP

United States
    I know that it IS possible to change it, but I am not allowed to either way. [​IMG]

12. Dr.Aqua

United States
    dSI can connect to wpa but through a flash cart it can't as ds mode has no wpa function
    U can u can use the Nintendo USB or Ethernet adapter

13. cris92x

Member cris92x GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Your SOL unless you get one of those nintendo usb dongles. Or you buy a laptop that you can set up as a wireless access point and it supports WEP.

14. AlexMason

Newcomer AlexMason Member

United States
    I have actually used my android phone thats rooted and tethered it to my DSL successfully.