how do we know wii u wont detect a modded vwii and ban/something worse.

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by terminal_illness, Dec 29, 2012.

1. terminal_illness
    OP

Member terminal_illness Dark Hadou Master

Canada
    title says it all.

how do we know that a software update from ninty wont detect a modded vwii, and do something horrible to punish us lol.

we know wii u can see vwii's installed stuff, as it can access miis etc.

sorry if this has been answered, but this is really the only thing preventing me from doing the mod.

i need to know it will remain undetected.

2. [Truth]

Member [Truth] GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    We don´t.
    We can only assume what they will do by looking at what they did with other devices, like the 3DS.
    I think the most they will do is overwrite all IOS with clean ones, delete "new" IOS like 236 and delete HBC/exploit saves.
    Banning will only uccur when the U-Mode is hacked and Miiverse/Online Game gets messed up.

3. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    Agreed with Truth, most that will happen is deleting of/blocking homebrew.

4. OrgaMecha4253

Newcomer OrgaMecha4253 Member

United Kingdom
    there's a disclaimer which says nintendo reserve the right to remove content through updates, that might mean any unsigned code and homebrew. I'm going to guess it doesn't do that and updates only affect the wii u part but I'm still wary, we'll only know after the next update though.

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Nintendo doesn't have a history of banning systems mine MS and such do.

In fact, it's generally up to the individual game servers to add in cheat protection, and even ones run by Nintendo (the GTS) will simply disconnect/error you out if you try to use a badly-hacked pokemon or something online, they don't ban even when that crap happens.

6. James194zt

Newcomer James194zt Newbie

United Kingdom
    Heres hoping that is all they do, I have no issues with what MS do as they kill your console from online access to stop cheaters and piracy, but $ony they are scum they ban your PSN account as well as your console so all your content goes down the toilet, this is especially bad if you have subscribed to their whole eco system and have several systems/devices.

Definitely avoiding $ony next generation, feels strange being back with Nintendo with the Wii U as I haven't owned a Nintendo console since my N64!!

7. PnP Bios

Newcomer PnP Bios Don't like my post? GOOD!

United States
    Well, I think as long as the hacking stays within the vWii sandbox, I don't think Nintendo will do anything. The only thing they did to block the HBC was trivial to get around, and they didn't add any blocks for game-save exploits (the only one they ever did was for twilight princess, so they totally could).

What they probably will do, is in a few years they will release a new cheaper, sleeker model, without the vWii, just like they released a Wii without the GameCube guts.

Also, I think the fact that the Wii U has 2gb of ram, one dedicated to the system menu, one dedicated to the games, is probably their quite effective means of sand-boxing.

There won't be another Trucha or game-save exploit.

n1ckn4m3 likes this.
  8. mike333

Member mike333 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Poland
    Are You sure? Please note that we have more 3rd developers on WiiU.

9. PnP Bios

United States
    What I'm saying is that it won't matter since there is a physical barrier between the new system menu and the memory where the game is running.

On top of that, games are now patchable, so a save game exploit could easily be fixed.

10. mike333

Member mike333 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Poland
    Oh, so it meats: there will be exploits which could be patched.
    Please note that:
    - there was separation on Wii too
    - you still need to download and apply patches
    - judging from quality of N code we could see some cool/funny stuff in the future

11. drakorex

Member drakorex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    So let's say you have an exploitable game in both physical and downloaded form. Would it be possible to use one for the exploit while updating the other for gaming?

12. PnP Bios

United States
    I'm going to play some NES games on my Wii U!
    First let me disconnect from the internet, load up this corrupted save file, go to a special location in the game, then wait for the emulator to come up, and pray that there's still some space on the stack.

Doesn't sound all that practical, does it?