how do these flash cards work?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by RubberTiki, Feb 24, 2007.

Feb 24, 2007
  1. RubberTiki
    OP

Newcomer RubberTiki Newbie

Lithuania
    Hello, Im new to this forum and to whole nds thingso I wanted to ask you how do these things work. Let's say I just bought a new NDS. What now? Can I buy a G6 or whatever, insert in my NDS and start playing? Or do I need to do something else? And what are these passcards?
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Passcards allow you to boot a slot 2 device. They are not needed with slot 1 devices.
    You will need a computer to download roms, and to copy them over

3. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    hey rubbertiki. first off a passcard runs the files in slot 2(gba slot). Also if you get a slot 1 flashcard you cant play gba games off it. you can plug it in(SC-ONE,R4DS,etc) and run slot 2 unless you flash it(flashing replaces the NDS's firmware, you dont need a passcard to run slot 2's if you do it). if you flash it though it also stops viruses. get a slot 1 flashcard(its cheaper, but you cant play gba games with out a slot 2). its a little hard to explain but you will pick it up. just hunt around the forums and youll get what u need. ask lots of questions

4. -EX-

Banned -EX- Racer

Japan
    Do not.

Everything's already answered. We have a lot of FAQs and reviews for a reason.

5. RubberTiki
    OP

Lithuania
    Thanks for for the replys. So basically I don't need to do anything with my NDS if I want to play only NDS games? Just get a G6 for example and that's it? I won't be needing a passcard for that, right?

Umm.. btw if you could please give me a link to those faqs? :< I'm kinda bad at searching for stuff [​IMG]

6. suppachipmunk

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    hey, to use a G6 for NDS:
    you need the G6 (slot 2 device)
    and a passcard (slot 1 device)
    computer to download games

The G6 can play GBA games without the use of a passcard. In order for the G6 to run NDS games, you need that passcard to send the NDS to the G6.
    Hope I didnt confuse you.

7. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    1. If the flashcart goes in the GBA slot then you need a passcard to run NDS games from it.

2. Your search might be more successful in the right section of the forum. Try looking in "Flashing hardware and software"

3. If you only want to play DS games, and no GBA games at all, ever, I'd recommend a slot 1 card. They're cheaper. Read the reviews (link at the top of the page). (The R4 is the most popular card atm, it's exactly the same as the M3Simply)

4. If you want to play GBAgames too, Fifth's guide to GBA slot (slot 2) flashcarts should cover everything you need.

[Edit]suppachipmunk's post below this: I agree (your next post slipped in while I was busy editing this one [​IMG])

8. suppachipmunk

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Here is a G6 guide. I think it should tell you what you need to know.
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=36554

If all you want to do is run NDS games, you may want to get a slot 1 device such as an M3 simply/ R4DS.

9. RubberTiki
    OP

Lithuania
    Umm... okay... if all i want is NDS games i can just buy a R4DS card and i won't be needing to flash my NDS or a passcard? just say yes or noe someone :>
    thanks

10. DavePS

Newcomer DavePS Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Yes.

But you also need a Micro SD card to hold the games, the micro SD card goes into the R4DS

11. RubberTiki
    OP

Lithuania
    neat. thanks for the info