Gaming How do Roms get uploaded?

Lassik

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. So I hope this isn't against any forum rules to ask this. I'm not asking where to get roms. I'm just naturally a curious person and I just want to understand this. I'm not asking because this is something i want to partake in.

My question is, when people rip roms and want to upload them where would they do this? I mean, I don't really understand how all these rom sites get as organized as they do. They have to get them all from like a main place like a repository I would imagine. The good sites at least...

Do these sites just go around searching torrent sites for roms that are ripped and then add them to their site?

Please understand that i'm not trying to get people to tell me where to get roms. I just want to better understand the process. I'm fully capable of finding tons of rom sites with a simple Google search.

I went to a rom site just the other day and noticed via their RSS feed that they seem to get roms not long after they have been released but there are no options for people to submit roms on their site and I seriously doubt they are buying every game from every country just to rip them. Also, each rip has a different tag from a different group that ripped it.

Due to forum policy I wouldn't want anyone to post specific sites to acquire roms. If you feel you can't best explain without posting a site link then feel free to PM me.

Also, who decides on these numbers for the roms? I was told by someone that it was the official release number of the game itself but looking at the order in which the roms are released that doesn't seem to make much sense. Is there like a huge database somewhere that every rom site adheres to in order to insure they have the same number scheme?

If any mods feel that this post is cutting it too close to abusing the forum rules then by all means just delete this post and I apologize.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got this from one of rayder's post
QUOTE said:
The release groups WANT your dumps, the group will officiate the dump for you and make sure it goes through the proper channels to hit "the scene".

Look for "Wood dumper" (NDS Backup Tools is essentially obsolete) and learn to use it. Read some release NFO's to find out who to contact. EM the appropriate people and make arrangements. Upload your dump to some file hosting site (rapidshare, megaupload, etc.) and give them (and no one else) the link. Usually within 24hours it will hit "the scene". You will feel a warm-and-fuzzy feeling, even if no one knows it was you that dumped the game.

ecko

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
when a release group needs to upload a rip, they upload it to a topsite.
from there it goes to other such sites, and finally from there to the more well known rom sites.

as for the number of the roms, its just that it increments with every release.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...