Hacking How do I use the Wii U Pro controller with RetroArch?

Torbjorn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've found various threads where a similar issue is discussed, but any answers provided tend to be too vague to be helpful.

Is there any way to use the Wii U Pro controller in Retroarch?
By this, I mean use it to both navigate the Retroarch UI AND use it as the main input device for User #1.

I've gone through all control settings in the Retroarch UI and see no option to toggle between input devices.
Is there anything that can be manually changed in the configuration files?
It seems the Pro controller is recognized as User #2 by default, but shouldn't there logically be a way to use it for User #1 if preferred?

Torbjorn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I figured out how to make this work, so I'm posting it here for future reference for anyone else who is as frustrated by this as I was.

All you need to do is navigate from the Retroarch main menu to the "Settings" screen by pressing the "Right" direction on the D-pad.
If you are in the quick menu for content you currently have open, be sure to press B to exit out of that menu to the main Retroarch menu first.

Once on the Settings screen, you simply scroll down to "Input".
From there, Input User 1 Binds - User 1 Device Index, and select the Pro controller from here.
Despite knowing this, it's very easy to overlook "Inputs" in the settings list due to how the UI pushes stuff out of sight as you highlight things, so be sure to look closely even if you think it's not there.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future since I found this way more unintuitive than it needed to be.

Reactions: Peninsula

Yanni9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried this, but when I change User 1 Device Index to the Pro controller I'm no longer able to control the main Retroarch menu with either controller, requiring a hard reset of the console.

Reactions: Nebula011

Weasel211

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I tried this, but when I change User 1 Device Index to the Pro controller I'm no longer able to control the main Retroarch menu with either controller, requiring a hard reset of the console.

Same Problem here. Any Solutions?

Yupper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simply turn off the wiiu gamepad after launching retroarch. Make sure your pro controller is on and synced before you launch retroarch. When you power off the gampad do it quickly after opening the app or you will shutdown the console instead. Retoarch should connect the pro controller to port one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards