How do I use my old R4 on a 3ds?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Dizzasta, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Dizzasta
    OP

Dizzasta Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2017
    Canada
    I got my 2ds not even 24 hours ago, unfortunately somewhy it came with no SD Card, which I assume I'll have to buy some time later and since 3ds games are out of my list until I get an SD Card I was thinking if there's a way to play my old DS games that I have in my old R4.
    Any info on how to do so will be genuinely appreciated

2. Oleboy555

Oleboy555 Wie dit leest is een zemmel

Feb 8, 2017
    Netherlands
    Amsterdam
    which r4

3. Dizzasta
    OP

Dizzasta Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2017
    Canada
    Just a simple one, it has nothing written on its cover besides "R4" and "Revolution for DS (NDSL/NDS)"

4. raylgo

raylgo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 9, 2007
    Went through this a few weeks ago... There were a lot of versions of the r4 back in the day. I was using an r4 clone called the m3 ds simply. The flashcart has to be updated to the latest firmware it can get to which is why knowing which version it is helps a lot.

What worked for me was using the woodr4 launcher and reformatting the card to 16kb clusters. You'd need a compatible memory card too. Those flashcarts were mostly made when 4gb was considered big. My m3 simply wouldn't support any past 2gb. Another reason why we need to know what kind of cart that is...

Last edited by raylgo, Aug 8, 2017
  5. Dizzasta
    OP

Dizzasta Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2017
    Canada
    From the looks of it, it's a R4v2

6. raylgo

raylgo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 9, 2007
    Try downloading the latest wood kernel for the r4 {I'm using 1.62} and using the woodr4 launcher to launch it.

7. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Are you currently running a CFW right now?

8. Ramzitv1

Ramzitv1 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2017
    well i have a R4 SDHC Dual Core 2017.