Homebrew How do I update my N3DS while still keeping Luma and custom VC games?

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering how you didn't follow the above guide properly, I'm betting you did not block Wii U updates properly.
I ran the NNU updater and it took me to the eShop, bypassing the update. Left my Wii U idle for a few hours, then found out that it was updated, once the exploit failed to load.

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should have used the proper DNS settings. How exactly did you block updates on your Wii U?
System Settings, I think, and I actually thought there were blocked. Didn't know they would come back. I swear, it was an accident. I did not know that would happen. I thought I blocked automatic updates via system settings?

Last edited by CodyMitchel2,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only bypassed the update screen on the eShop. I had no idea how to bypass them and had no idea how sneaky the updates were.
You should do the following to avoid getting another unintended update in the future:
For each of your connections (and all future connections), do the following
  • Select the connection
  • Select “Change Settings”
  • Move to the second list and choose “DNS”
  • Set the DNS to “Don’t Auto-Obtain”
  • Set the DNS server IPs to the following servers
  • Select “Confirm”, then press (B) to save
  • These servers will block your SysNAND from being updated

Reactions: Quantumcat

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need either bittorent or utorrent. It's a torrent file.
I already installed it. Just have one more question. Do I need to repeat this process on any other SD cards? I use one for eShop and digital retail games, and the other for only custom NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, GG, and TG-16 VC games.

Reactions: Giodude

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP already did that step and successfully installed B9S.
Forgot to reload page.
I already installed it. Just have one more question. Do I need to repeat this process on any other SD cards? I use one for eShop and digital retail games, and the other for only custom NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, GG, and TG-16 VC games.
Just copy everything from this sd card to another sd card and it'll work perfectly.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already installed it. Just have one more question. Do I need to repeat this process on any other SD cards?
B9S is installed to your sysNAND, so you don't need to reinstall B9S to any SD cards. If you have the Luma3DS boot.firm on your CTRNAND (if you followed the guide properly, you do), then you are not required to have the boot.firm on your SD card. If you didn't follow the guide properly, then your 3DS will not boot without the Luma3DS boot.firm on the root of all of your SD cards.

My guess is you didn't follow the guide properly.

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
B9S is installed to your sysNAND, so you don't need to reinstall B9S to any SD cards. If you have the Luma3DS boot.firm on your CTRNAND (if you followed the guide properly, you do), then you are not required to have the boot.firm on your SD card. If you didn't follow the guide properly, then your 3DS will not boot without the Luma3DS boot.firm on the root of the SD card.

My guess is you didn't follow the guide properly.
I did. I'm just wanting to know if you need to copy the boot.firm to other SD cards?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did. I'm just wanting to know if you need to copy the boot.firm to other SD cards?
If you followed the guide properly, boot.firm is on your CTRNAND, and you don't need it on any of your SD cards. If you didn't follow the guide properly, then you need to copy boot.firm to all of your SD cards.

Does your 3DS boot successfully without an SD card?

Reactions: Quantumcat

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes. You technically dont have to since there should be one on your ctrnand, but yes you do.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If you followed the guide properly, boot.firm is on your CTRNAND, and you don't need it on any of your SD cards. If you didn't follow the guide properly, then you need to copy boot.firm to all of your SD cards.
It's still good to have it on the sd card. There are more options when it boots from the sd card vs the ctrnand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.