Homebrew How do I update my N3DS while still keeping Luma and custom VC games?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are running A9LH and Luma3DS 7.0.5 (the latest version that supports A9LH), it is safe to update to 11.5 over the internet through the system settings. However, as others have said, it is recommended that you update from A9LH to B9S so you can get future Luma3DS updates.

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are running A9LH and Luma3DS 7.0.5 (the latest version that supports A9LH), it is safe to update to 11.5 over the internet through the system settings. However, as others have said, it is recommended that you update from A9LH to B9S so you can get future Luma3DS updates.
So should I still go ahead and update to B9S, anyways, without the secret_sector.bin file?

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The blue light just goes on and then off. Did I brick? I ran the installer fine.

Pressing Start and Select does nothing.

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I need the boot.firm. Putting that on my SD card right now.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I renamed the boot9strap.firm to boot.firm and moved it to the root of the SD card it still doesn't power on.

Last edited by CodyMitchel2,

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I renamed the boot9strap.firm to boot.firm and moved it to the root of the SD card it still doesn't power on.
You need the boot.firm file from the luma3ds.7z file instead of just renaming the other

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Are you not following the instructions in the guide? That's a great way to brick your 3DS.

Success. Now my system's telling me to start system update. Should I?
You can update, yes.

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are using Luma3DS, it is safe to update to 11.5 over the internet.
Correct. I'm on Luma 8.1 now. So I'll go ahead and update.

This sure makes up for me losing homebrew on the Wii U, after my system automatically updated to 5.5.2, without my permission.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct. I'm on Luma 8.1 now. So I'll go ahead and update.

This sure makes up for me losing homebrew on the Wii U, after my system automatically updated to 5.5.2, without my permission.
That's your own fault for not blocking Wii U updates. We've known for years that the system will automatically update without a user's permission. Don't blame the system for your mistake.

Reactions: Quantumcat

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's your own fault for not blocking Wii U updates. We've known for years that the system will automatically update without a user's permission. Don't blame the system for your mistake.
I did try blocking the update and it came back. I was trying very hard, not do update and the update sneaked in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all