How do I Unbrick my 3ds?

Jar5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello I have a new 3ds xl that my brother tried to mod back in 2017 or 2018 anyways he didn’t do it correctly lost all forms of back up and now all it does is boot up and say “An error has occurred: Failed to mount CTRNAND press any button to shutdown”. This is old version of hourglass 9 it is v1.35 so any videos or posts aren’t really the same so they are difficult to follow. Does anyone know if it is possible to unbrick? I’ve attached pictures of what screens of what happens when I turn it on while pressing start and while pressing select. Any help would be very appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 119

Jar5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This :> (step 24)"Update your device by going to System Settings, then “Other Settings”, then going all the way to the right and using “System Update”"
When you rebooted the system (step 23) the error showed up? You didn't go to the home menu at all, right?

Sorry, i meant holding "select". Post a pic here.
Also do the section vi "Luma3DS ctrnand" above.
Yes that is correct I did not get to home menu

Jar5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This :> (step 24)"Update your device by going to System Settings, then “Other Settings”, then going all the way to the right and using “System Update”"
When you rebooted the system (step 23) the error showed up? You didn't go to the home menu at all, right?

Sorry, i meant holding "select". Post a pic here.
Also do the section vi "Luma3DS ctrnand" above.
Yes I did not get to step 24 right after I pressed start to reboot on step 23 it displayed the error message. Also here is picture when I hold select and power on

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39

rinpunipuni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hello I have a new 3ds xl that my brother tried to mod back in 2017 or 2018 anyways he didn’t do it correctly lost all forms of back up and now all it does is boot up and say “An error has occurred: Failed to mount CTRNAND press any button to shutdown”. This is old version of hourglass 9 it is v1.35 so any videos or posts aren’t really the same so they are difficult to follow. Does anyone know if it is possible to unbrick? I’ve attached pictures of what screens of what happens when I turn it on while pressing start and while pressing select. Any help would be very appreciated
seems like we have the same problem. I have modded my n3ds xl. Few years ago I really like fiddling and modding into consoles and its games. I was messing around my 3ds and accidentally restored my old nand backup which doesn't uses boot9 one. It was the only nand backup I had and never updated it when I updated my 3ds to boot9. after it greeted me with a blue screen bootrom eror, I was able to unbrick it using the same method you uses but after it, it just gave me a black screen. Fiddling it more and gave me an error code that I forgot what it was. After checking my 3ds nand seems like its unique ID and system keys are all messed up. All hope is lost besides doing a lazarus restore. If you need help, contact me on my discord

Jar5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
seems like we have the same problem. I have modded my n3ds xl. Few years ago I really like fiddling and modding into consoles and its games. I was messing around my 3ds and accidentally restored my old nand backup which doesn't uses boot9 one. It was the only nand backup I had and never updated it when I updated my 3ds to boot9. after it greeted me with a blue screen bootrom eror, I was able to unbrick it using the same method you uses but after it, it just gave me a black screen. Fiddling it more and gave me an error code that I forgot what it was. After checking my 3ds nand seems like its unique ID and system keys are all messed up. All hope is lost besides doing a lazarus restore. If you need help, contact me on my discord
Also to do Lazarus restore where do I get the required files needed to do it ?

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also to do Lazarus restore where do I get the required files needed to do it ?
Actually Lazarus isn't your last resort you still have other options you only tried to CTR transfer via gm9 you have not tried a CTR transfer via d9. decrypt9 or d9 functions similarly to gm9 except gm9 has safeguard set which will keep it from overriding files that you already have copies of if they are equal or lower than the version that's currently installed d9 on the other hand rewrites your titles indiscriminately so it will a replace faulty title if there is one. Fair warning please please make sure you check your SD card for errors or corruption first these are things that could negatively impact the data that the 3DS needs and looks for

Jar5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually Lazarus isn't your last resort you still have other options you only tried to CTR transfer via gm9 you have not tried a CTR transfer via d9. decrypt9 or d9 functions similarly to gm9 except gm9 has safeguard set which will keep it from overriding files that you already have copies of if they are equal or lower than the version that's currently installed d9 on the other hand rewrites your titles indiscriminately so it will a replace faulty title if there is one. Fair warning please please make sure you check your SD card for errors or corruption first these are things that could negatively impact the data that the 3DS needs and looks for
Ok how would a do d9 transfer

Jar5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
very similarly to the how Gm9 does just pick up your decrypt9 from GitHub it should come with the bit of instruction on where to place your files for a CTR transfer
Ok I tried the d9 method and it still came back with error. By the way is there anyone I could pay to unbrick it for me?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Run "CTRTransfer Type D9" script. The old Decrypt9.firm should not be used anymore (might overwrite some data). The NAND should be backed up before any repair attempts – even if the software is currently inoperable. Failed repair attempts can cause further damage – so never write to NAND without proper backup.

For the "CTRTransfer Type D9" script you need the 11.5 CTRTransfer images, not 11.15. The script has a (dangerous!) feature to check the NAND for defects (eMMC Status Checker) – like h2testw/F3 do with SD cards – if you suspect the NAND chip to be faulty.

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I can’t boot without sd card in it
What do you mean you can't boot? It gives the same error?
And what about that pic i told you to take of the Luma3DS menu, when booted without the sd card?
What do you mean by this ?
He's asking if you did set up Luma3DS ctrnand. The steps that i told you to take above..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol