Hacking How do I transfer from my pc directly to my ps3 at super speed

bjorno

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey guys. I have succesfully setted up a direct connection between my pc and ps3. But here comes the problem. If I want to use the direct connection, I will have to unplug cables everytime and set all those stuff up that costs a lot of time. So I would like to buy an extra ethernet card so I dont have to mess with my normal ethernet card and can just use my bought ethernetcard. I have searched a lot and people seem to recommend gigabit cards with cat 6 cable for ultimate speed. Which cards or cables do you guys recommend? Please dont reply with router solutions because I want a direct connection.

Thanks for helping.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Forgive me for asking, but is there a specific reason why you don't want to use a router/network hub configuration? There's no difference in speed between a direct connection and connection via gigabit network hub (or gigabit ethernet routers).

Also, I believe that there's no difference in speed between cat5e and cat6 cables, since PS3 doesn't have 10-gigabit ethernet (which requires cat6).

akari212

Trophies
XP
Country
bjorno said:
Hey guys. I have succesfully setted up a direct connection between my pc and ps3. But here comes the problem. If I want to use the direct connection, I will have to unplug cables everytime and set all those stuff up that costs a lot of time. So I would like to buy an extra ethernet card so I dont have to mess with my normal ethernet card and can just use my bought ethernetcard. I have searched a lot and people seem to recommend gigabit cards with cat 6 cable for ultimate speed. Which cards or cables do you guys recommend? Please dont reply with router solutions because I want a direct connection.

Thanks for helping.

well it depends on your network card, installed on your computer.

-- Do buy a Intelligent Network Interface Card with atleast 1gbps Speed.

Note: Intelligent NIC's dont need cross over cables... just a normal straight through cables are fine. If in case that you cant find Intelligent NIC, you do need to construct a crossover cable.. In case that you dont know how to make one, just ask one of the sales representatives on the "Computer Supply" shop and ask them to make you a crossover cable for you.

-- A Straight Through Cable. The shorter the better, since it decreases latency and Signal Noises, which is also a factor for a problem.

Note: UPT Cat5 is only applicable in PS3... so dont buy any cables that doesnt match the specification.

QUOTE(Originality @ Feb 7 2011, 08:37 AM) Forgive me for asking, but is there a specific reason why you don't want to use a router/network hub configuration? There's no difference in speed between a direct connection and connection via gigabit network hub (or gigabit ethernet routers).

Also, I believe that there's no difference in speed between cat5e and cat6 cables, since PS3 doesn't have 10-gigabit ethernet (which requires cat6).

Well it depends. Some routers enforce QoS per port.. so a decreased performance will be experience. And there's a limited CPU on the router/switch itself, so in case that there are current connection that is been established already on your router/switch which is used by other computers and you transferred files, data traffic will be experince, worst case scenario, a data collision will happened frequently.

So far its still recommended that if you want a full burst transfer speed, use a Direct Connection.

bjorno

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Originality said:
Forgive me for asking, but is there a specific reason why you don't want to use a router/network hub configuration? There's no difference in speed between a direct connection and connection via gigabit network hub (or gigabit ethernet routers).

There is a big difference between speeds. My router is a good one. If I use via router my speed is 1mb/s and if I use direct it becomes 30-50 mb/s.

So in other words. I have to buy a NIC 1gb/s and a crossover cable.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Strange, I don't share that experience. Copying files via my gigabit router (between two high-specced computers) tends to go at 30-150MBs. I never tried a direct cable (since the second network port of my motherboard was used for sharing internet with Xbox 360), but I don't imagine it would've suddenly given me the full theoretical 1Gbs.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
The system has Bluetooth 2.0 (with support for up to 7 bluetooth devices[56]), gigabit Ethernet, USB 2.0 and HDMI 1.4[cn 1] built in on all currently shipping models. Wi-Fi networking is also built-in on all but the 20 GB models, while a flash card reader (compatible with Memory Stick, SD/MMC and CompactFlash/Microdrive media) is built-in on 60 GB and CECHExx 80 GB models.[47][55]
From wiki.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
Yeah I can't understand why but my router speeds are terrible too, like 1MB/s. Direct connect goes up to 30MB/s. Seems kinda odd to buy a whole new card for the PS3 though. A bigger HDD makes more sense to me, just FTP everything on there and forget about it, or are you the kind who has to have every game?
wink.gif

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bjorno said:
There is a big difference between speeds. My router is a good one. If I use via router my speed is 1mb/s and if I use direct it becomes 30-50 mb/s.

Either there's a big problem with your router ($$$ =/= quality) or something wrong with your cables, because you shouldn't be getting a decrepit 1MB/s.
Across my nearly 10 year old 100' cat5 cable, through my router and out another relatively old 25' cat5, I get around 12MB/s.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
how_do_i_do_that said:
They might be using a gigabit controller that uses the base 10 definition of gigabit.
Ok, another quote from Wiki:
QUOTEAll models include: Blu-ray/DVD/CD drive, HDMI 1.3a,[139] Bluetooth 2.0, Gigabit Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) and PlayStation backward compatibility through software emulation.[71][72]

bjorno

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
synce said:
Yeah I can't understand why but my router speeds are terrible too, like 1MB/s. Direct connect goes up to 30MB/s. Seems kinda odd to buy a whole new card for the PS3 though. A bigger HDD makes more sense to me, just FTP everything on there and forget about it, or are you the kind who has to have every game?
wink.gif

Lol every game? -Sits in corner with 2 games..- Anyway. A bigger HDD is a big hassle because you have to actually pull that thingy out and back up stuff and restore stuffs. And you might have problem updating.

twiztidsinz said:
QUOTE(bjorno @ Feb 7 2011, 02:09 AM) There is a big difference between speeds. My router is a good one. If I use via router my speed is 1mb/s and if I use direct it becomes 30-50 mb/s.

Either there's a big problem with your router ($$$ =/= quality) or something wrong with your cables, because you shouldn't be getting a decrepit 1MB/s.
Across my nearly 10 year old 100' cat5 cable, through my router and out another relatively old 25' cat5, I get around 12MB/s.

I think it is the cable. I don't have a cat5 yet, but I will definetly get it soon. The router is this one http://www.sitecom.com/wireless-gigabit-router-300n/p/796

flo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hungary
I get 30-32 MB/s with a direct connection but having a strange problem , my laptop disconnects from the Wi-Fi router although my PC-PS3 connection and my Wi-fi router are both separate connections . Any tips ?

akari212

Trophies
XP
Country
flo said:
I get 30-32 MB/s with a direct connection but having a strange problem , my laptop disconnects from the Wi-Fi router although my PC-PS3 connection and my Wi-fi router are both separate connections . Any tips ?

try working your PS3 network configuration with different subnet. Just like mine:

==--PS3 - PC (Vice Versa)--==

PC Side:

IP: 1.1.1.1
subnet: 255.0.0.0
gateway: blank
pri & sec DNS: blank

PS3 Side:

IP: 1.1.1.2
subnet: 255.0.0.0
gateway: 0.0.0.1 (PS3 needs gateway, but just enter an invalid gateway IP and youre fine)
pri & sec:: 0.0.0.1 (same case with gateway)

----------------

there it should work fine.

Why they disconnect. Its because there's a conflict between two similar Subnets, even though they were different NIC's.
Correct me if im wrong. The common subnet used by our routers is 255.255.255.0 (Class C subnet.. used for LAN parties).

Always remember. 1 subnet in 2 NIC is wrong, unless you bridge them (quite more confusing to implement).

diddy81

Wii Theme Team
Trophies
XP
Country
here is the ps3serv program

and heres how it works

personally i couldn't get the gui version to work so i used the dos version might have just been the buffer size i had in the gui
i copied a folder of 4GB in about 45 minutes

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
When I transfer a game or data I am usually around 9MB/s, and that is mostly because my router only does 10/100. I'm sure if I got a gigabit router then I'd see things go a lot faster. I've never tried direct connection. I actually stopped using FTP altogether for the PS3 after reading stories about corrupt data from using FTP. I know it has since been fixed but I prefer just to put stuff on my usb hard drive and transfer it like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Boo I thought that was a rejection comment