How do I transfer from my pc directly to my ps3 at super speed

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by bjorno, Feb 6, 2011.

1. bjorno
    OP

Member bjorno GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Hey guys. I have succesfully setted up a direct connection between my pc and ps3. But here comes the problem. If I want to use the direct connection, I will have to unplug cables everytime and set all those stuff up that costs a lot of time. So I would like to buy an extra ethernet card so I dont have to mess with my normal ethernet card and can just use my bought ethernetcard. I have searched a lot and people seem to recommend gigabit cards with cat 6 cable for ultimate speed. Which cards or cables do you guys recommend? Please dont reply with router solutions because I want a direct connection.

Thanks for helping.

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Forgive me for asking, but is there a specific reason why you don't want to use a router/network hub configuration? There's no difference in speed between a direct connection and connection via gigabit network hub (or gigabit ethernet routers).

Also, I believe that there's no difference in speed between cat5e and cat6 cables, since PS3 doesn't have 10-gigabit ethernet (which requires cat6).

3. akari212

Member akari212 GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Well it depends. Some routers enforce QoS per port.. so a decreased performance will be experience. And there's a limited CPU on the router/switch itself, so in case that there are current connection that is been established already on your router/switch which is used by other computers and you transferred files, data traffic will be experince, worst case scenario, a data collision will happened frequently.

So far its still recommended that if you want a full burst transfer speed, use a Direct Connection.

4. bjorno
    OP

Netherlands
    There is a big difference between speeds. My router is a good one. If I use via router my speed is 1mb/s and if I use direct it becomes 30-50 mb/s.

So in other words. I have to buy a NIC 1gb/s and a crossover cable.

5. Originality

United Kingdom
    Strange, I don't share that experience. Copying files via my gigabit router (between two high-specced computers) tends to go at 30-150MBs. I never tried a direct cable (since the second network port of my motherboard was used for sharing internet with Xbox 360), but I don't imagine it would've suddenly given me the full theoretical 1Gbs.

6. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    The ethernet port on a PS3 is only a 10/100 network card. Transfers rates are defined by the lowest speed on your network.

PC: 1Gb network card
    router: Gigabit network
    PS3: 10/100 nic

Transfer rates will only go as fast as the PS3 will handle.

7. Originality

United Kingdom
    From wiki.

8. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    It doesn't run at any gigabit speeds on my home network. Works more like a 10/100 from the transfer speeds I got.

They might be using a gigabit controller that uses the base 10 definition of gigabit.

9. synce

Member synce だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん

United States
    Yeah I can't understand why but my router speeds are terrible too, like 1MB/s. Direct connect goes up to 30MB/s. Seems kinda odd to buy a whole new card for the PS3 though. A bigger HDD makes more sense to me, just FTP everything on there and forget about it, or are you the kind who has to have every game? [​IMG]

10. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Either there's a big problem with your router ($$$ =/= quality) or something wrong with your cables, because you shouldn't be getting a decrepit 1MB/s.
    Across my nearly 10 year old 100' cat5 cable, through my router and out another relatively old 25' cat5, I get around 12MB/s.

11. Originality

United Kingdom

12. bjorno
    OP

Netherlands
    I think it is the cable. I don't have a cat5 yet, but I will definetly get it soon. The router is this one http://www.sitecom.com/wireless-gigabit-router-300n/p/796

13. flo

Member flo GBAtemp Regular

Hungary
    I get 30-32 MB/s with a direct connection but having a strange problem , my laptop disconnects from the Wi-Fi router although my PC-PS3 connection and my Wi-fi router are both separate connections . Any tips ?

14. akari212

Member akari212 GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    try working your PS3 network configuration with different subnet. Just like mine:

==--PS3 - PC (Vice Versa)--==

PC Side:

IP: 1.1.1.1
    subnet: 255.0.0.0
    gateway: blank
    pri & sec DNS: blank

PS3 Side:

IP: 1.1.1.2
    subnet: 255.0.0.0
    gateway: 0.0.0.1 (PS3 needs gateway, but just enter an invalid gateway IP and youre fine)
    pri & sec:: 0.0.0.1 (same case with gateway)

----------------

there it should work fine.

Why they disconnect. Its because there's a conflict between two similar Subnets, even though they were different NIC's.
    Correct me if im wrong. The common subnet used by our routers is 255.255.255.0 (Class C subnet.. used for LAN parties).

Always remember. 1 subnet in 2 NIC is wrong, unless you bridge them (quite more confusing to implement).

15. diddy81

Member diddy81 Wii Theme Team

United Kingdom
    here is the ps3serv program

and heres how it works

personally i couldn't get the gui version to work so i used the dos version might have just been the buffer size i had in the gui
    i copied a folder of 4GB in about 45 minutes

16. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    When I transfer a game or data I am usually around 9MB/s, and that is mostly because my router only does 10/100. I'm sure if I got a gigabit router then I'd see things go a lot faster. I've never tried direct connection. I actually stopped using FTP altogether for the PS3 after reading stories about corrupt data from using FTP. I know it has since been fixed but I prefer just to put stuff on my usb hard drive and transfer it like that.