How Do I Tell If My Card Is A Fake?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by ModuRaziel, Jul 14, 2009.

Jul 14, 2009
  1. ModuRaziel
    OP

Newcomer ModuRaziel Member

Canada
    So I bought an R4 SDHC. I have used it a few times and it seems to work perfectly fine, but in the course of researching functionality of the card, I have run across many different reports of fake cards. The most worrisome thing I have read so far is that there is no such thing as an R4 SDHC, that it is a fake. Yet the site (www.r4i-shdc.com), aside from being written in horrid engrish, seems legit. As I said, the card seems to work fine, I have tried a few games in it. I upgraded the copy of moonshell that was preloaded and it still works. So I am really lost here. Should I be worried?

2. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    It's a fake. The original R4 never had SDHC support.

If it works fine then I wouldn't exactly be worried, just don't expect much in the way of software updates.

3. Xoo00o0o0o

Member Xoo00o0o0o Xoo00o0o0o is in the house

United States
    R4 sdhc is fake. it's recomended that no one gets a R4.

4. ModuRaziel
    OP

Canada
    so if it works i should just keep using it an not worry?

5. Xoo00o0o0o

United States
    Its ok its not going to hurt your ds but lack of firmware updates, you will get annoyed by having to patch games that dont work.

6. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    The only problem is when newer games come out. Many of them have protection that either require an update to your flashcart, or some form of hack.

Ideally you would be better off going with a more supported flashcart if you have the money, such as an acekard 2 and AKAIO software.

7. ModuRaziel
    OP

Canada
    problem is i just dropped $50 on this thing. oh well, i dont think it'll be too much trouble to patch newer games if i have to

8. Xoo00o0o0o

United States
    50$ really?!

9. ModuRaziel
    OP

Canada
    unfortunately. canadian, though. and it came with a 4gb SD, so its not too bad. still, i feel ripped off. Out of curiosity, is there such a card as the iTouch? because I bought the R4 to replace that one (which I broke), and i got it from the same store for the same amount

10. Xoo00o0o0o

United States
    Yes it supports sdhc and has real time save

11. ModuRaziel
    OP

Canada
    so my old card was a real one that i switched for a fake one P_P again, oh well. ill make due

12. Aeter

Member Aeter A walking contradiction

Netherlands
    Just so you know there is other firmware available for R4 and R4 clones like yours.

There's new unofficial R4 firmware by the R4li team (r4li.com) which might work on your clone card, eventhough the cheats work good and nearly all games are compatible it still appears to be quite buggy.
    And that's why I would recommend YSMenu which is the most used firmware by R4 and R4 clone users, since it is the best firmware for R4 and clones.

YSMenu does get updated so you don't have to worry about patching every single new rom.

If you want to install it you can check out the sticky guides in this board. There's a guide to create YSMenu manually (aka the hard way, eventhough it's actually not that hard) or you can make YSMenu with R4YSAuto (which is a program that creates YSMenu for you).

Just try it out and see how you like it.

13. ModuRaziel
    OP

Canada
    i actually read about that during my perusal of this forum. The only reason I dont want to install it right now is because it doesnt support soft-reset. I know, minor issue, but none-the-less irritating to me

14. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    Is there a reliable way to tell if your R4 is real or fake?

I bought mine 1-2 years ago, and it has played everything I put on it (except GTA:Chinatown, I had to wait for a patched version).

Is there some "tell" or visual difference between real/fake?

What if I crack it open and have a look at the mother-board?

Thanks!

15. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    The easiest way to tell is if it says "R4 " like R4 New, R4 Upgrade or R4-III. The official R4 site used to have a guide but I don't think it's still in existence. There was a guide posted here as well, I think Kobykaan posted it.

16. sgwiiboy

Member sgwiiboy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Why is that though? I only ask because I bought a "fake" R4 with a 4gb micro sd and card reader for £20 and it works great. I bought it in May and there has been 3 software updates since then. I have yet to come across a rom that didn't work and I have had no problems.

17. bach3609

Member bach3609 GBAtemp Fan

Vietnam
    Wrong.It is a clone, but They update their firmware quite often, and all games work on it. They even added a new save backup version last update. Its a really great flashcard. since it first came out like 4 months ago, they updated they firmware 7 times. they update it about every 5 to 30 days, so no worries for any incompatibility stuff.

SOURCES: I have had one for 3 months, very good and they even update their cheat database every time The cheat code crew of gbatemp comes out with a new release. Don't listen to him, this clone is way better than the other r4 clones. Btw No offence edhel

EDIT: I wonder if i'll ever even stumble over compatibility problems with this card.

However if you want a top of the line flashcard, get the supercard ds onei, cyclods or a m3i zero