How Do I Tell If An ISO Is Untouched and Unpatched?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Vaaniks, Sep 26, 2010.

Sep 26, 2010
  1. Vaaniks
    OP

Newcomer Vaaniks Newbie

United States
    Hello, everybody. I am new to the CFW scene. Currently, I am just waiting for my Pandora from Dealextreme to arrive. I don't anticipate any problems once I receive it, but if I do, I'll be sure to ask on these forums. That isn't the purpose for this post, however. I do not like pirating games ordinarily, and that remains true here. What I am most interested in, though, is in downloading those PSP games of mine that were stolen a few years ago and are quite difficult to find to buy. What I want to know is this...is there anyway to tell if an ISO is untouched and unpatched? In other words, completely clean? (I know how to convert CSO's to ISO's, so I'm not concerned about that) I'm trying to avoid ripped games entirely. I also wish to try out ISO's completely untouched and unpatched to see if they run at all before I consider patching them. Besides, when I back them up on DVDs, I will only backup clean ISO's.

I truly hope this post made sense. I also searched and searched on the forums to see if any other topics pertained to my questions, but I could not for the life of me find anything. That is why I hope, really, really hope, that someone can help me. Thanks ahead of time for any help! [​IMG]

2. Goli

Member Goli RPG

Chile
    Well I suppose it depends on the place, the one I get my games from usually labels each game as [patched] or something like that if they are, if they aren't then they don't say anything. Not that you need to patch any game on the latest Prometheus fw [​IMG].

3. Bluelaserman

Member Bluelaserman I shoot BLUE LASERS MAN!!!!

Australia
    You can't really tell if their patched or not until you download them and search for files. Normally however, they are labeled "Patched, FIXED, Prometheus, Pre-patched, etc".

4. Vaaniks
    OP

Newcomer Vaaniks Newbie

United States
    @goli
    [​IMG] Heheh...That is one of the precise reasons why I want to avoid patched or altered ISOs. I'm only interested in backing up clean ISOs on DVD; if a game still won't run on my PSP regardless of drivers and settings, I would prefer doing the patching myself.

@bluelaserman
    Hmmm...I hadn't thought about searching the files in the ISOs (and converted CSOs). Are there any files, or lack thereof, that are generally a red flag indicating that the ISO is patched or fixed? (i.e. - the lack of an Update folder being a pretty good indicator that an ISO is ripped and thus not clean) I do realize that most filenames indicate when an ISO is patched or whatnot, but I like to make sure just in case.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone! [​IMG]

5. AC/DS

Member AC/DS GBAtemp Regular

Slovakia
    I think update folders are always taken out from iso's, it's a common practice so that people do not inadvertently update their firmware. It does not mean that the iso is "not clean", it just has an unnecessary part removed.

/edited to remove iso request

6. Sinistral89

Member Sinistral89 GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    You can't ask for isos here... Might get you banned.

7. Koetje

Newcomer Koetje Member

Belgium
    just test them
    you will see if they work or not

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    No, there's no way to tell unless you have a clean version to compare it against (which would mean you already have a known-clean version).