Hacking How do I take a save file backed up from Gateway and use it with the .cia/eshop version of the game?

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, there are quite a few questions floating around like this (though none seem to help me here). However, I'll do my best to be as clear as possible, and avoid sounding like an utter noob.

Basically, I'm trying to transfer my retail Kid Icarus: Uprising cart to my emuNAND as a digital title. I wasn't able to find a USA version of the game from the "internet," as the only thing available was a region-free EUR version. So I went ahead and dumped my own retail card, and proceeded to convert the game to a .cia myself - with success! The digital version I managed to create loads and saves just fine, and now I'm to the point where I'd like to transfer my save. I dumped the save using Gateway, and this yielded a 512kb .sav file. I assume this is a decrypted save, as, when comparing the two in a hex editor, it looks completely different from the save file that the .cia generated. In addition, simply dragging and dropping the .sav file into the .cia's save titleID folder on the SD card yeilds a corrupted save upon loading, however both have the same file size.

I've also tried converting the game into a CARD2-type game, and then just injecting the save into that, however I still get the corrupted save error while doing this.

The only other thing I could do was use savedatafiler to extract the .cia version's save file, and this gave me a "user" save, consisting of a few .dat files and 2 .sav files. These .sav files were not more than 100kb in total file size.

I've tried damn near every method I've come across, and yet nothing seems to work. This is a very early game, and if I recall, uses 2.x save encryption. If I'm not mistaken, these early saves can be decrypted. Despite this, I haven't been able to find an actual method of doing just that.

If it helps, I've got 2 systems, both with Gateway installed: SysNAND 4.2 (downgraded) and Sysnand 9.2.

Is there any way to transfer this save? I have a really hard time believing that it isn't.

shadowofdarkness

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't have experience since I don't have a Gateway but if you own the cart why not dump your own rom instead of getting another regions. It may make it easier for saves.

ubergeek77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have experience since I don't have a Gateway but if you own the cart why not dump your own rom instead of getting another regions. It may make it easier for saves.
I should have been more clear in the OP: I dumped the ROM myself, which got me a .3DZ ROM that I can use in Gateway as if it were a cartridge. As I want it on my system menu, I then converted this .3DZ to a .CIA and installed it in digital format.

I realize I can just run it through Gateway, but I want to go through this process of getting the save on the digital (eshop) version until I know how it's done.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I know, there are quite a few questions floating around like this (though none seem to help me here). However, I'll do my best to be as clear as possible, and avoid sounding like an utter noob.

Basically, I'm trying to transfer my retail Kid Icarus: Uprising cart to my emuNAND as a digital title. I wasn't able to find a USA version of the game from the "internet," as the only thing available was a region-free EUR version. So I went ahead and dumped my own retail card, and proceeded to convert the game to a .cia myself - with success! The digital version I managed to create loads and saves just fine, and now I'm to the point where I'd like to transfer my save. I dumped the save using Gateway, and this yielded a 512kb .sav file. I assume this is a decrypted save, as, when comparing the two in a hex editor, it looks completely different from the save file that the .cia generated. In addition, simply dragging and dropping the .sav file into the .cia's save titleID folder on the SD card yeilds a corrupted save upon loading, however both have the same file size.

I've also tried converting the game into a CARD2-type game, and then just injecting the save into that, however I still get the corrupted save error while doing this.

The only other thing I could do was use savedatafiler to extract the .cia version's save file, and this gave me a "user" save, consisting of a few .dat files and 2 .sav files. These .sav files were not more than 100kb in total file size.

I've tried damn near every method I've come across, and yet nothing seems to work. This is a very early game, and if I recall, uses 2.x save encryption. If I'm not mistaken, these early saves can be decrypted. Despite this, I haven't been able to find an actual method of doing just that.

If it helps, I've got 2 systems, both with Gateway installed: SysNAND 4.2 (downgraded) and Sysnand 9.2.

Is there any way to transfer this save? I have a really hard time believing that it isn't.
There are currently two ways to decrypt a card1 save game. Gateway save backup doesn't decrypt the save, you need SaveDataFiler for that which doesn't work in classic mode so you can't use it with carts. It also doesn't work with card1 ROMs because GW only loads the save when you start the game.

However, someone with a MT-card can decrypt the save for you, OR you can use the leaked 4.x CFW and run SaveDataFiler on that, which should then be able to decrypt the cartridge save.

ubergeek77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are currently two ways to decrypt a card1 save game. Gateway save backup doesn't decrypt the save, you need SaveDataFiler for that which doesn't work in classic mode so you can't use it with carts. It also doesn't work with card1 ROMs because GW only loads the save when you start the game.

However, someone with a MT-card can decrypt the save for you, OR you can use the leaked 4.x CFW and run SaveDataFiler on that, which should then be able to decrypt the cartridge save.

I did actually get around to installing the CFW to my 4.2 DS, and it worked like a charm for some of my cartridges. I say some, because any game using 6.0 encryption cannot be dumped.
I should ask though - how can someone with a MT-card decrypt saves? Is this a feature of the card, and will it work for games using 6.0 encryption?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I did actually get around to installing the CFW to my 4.2 DS, and it worked like a charm for some of my cartridges. I say some, because any game using 6.0 encryption cannot be dumped.
I should ask though - how can someone with a MT-card decrypt saves? Is this a feature of the card, and will it work for games using 6.0 encryption?
I don't think it can handle 6.x saves. It's a feature of the cart, I'm not sure when it was added but probably a few months ago by now.

jscjml

Monster Hunter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm, so can you do something like this to get a save from a .3ds file to a .cia?

1) Dump game
2) Run game from Multi ROM menu (save still intact on ROM?)
3) Use SaveDataFiler in GW mode on the ROM, extract the savefile
4) Install .cia
5) Import with SaveDataFiler

Is this possible to take a save from a dumped ROM and add it into a .cia?

_eyCaRambA_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm, so can you do something like this to get a save from a .3ds file to a .cia?

1) Dump game
2) Run game from Multi ROM menu (save still intact on ROM?)
3) Use SaveDataFiler in GW mode on the ROM, extract the savefile
4) Install .cia
5) Import with SaveDataFiler

Is this possible to take a save from a dumped ROM and add it into a .cia?

SDF doesn't work with ROMs right now, maybe Gateway will fix this sometime...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr