How do I run steam games in 21:9?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Mr. Looigi, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Mr. Looigi
    OP

Mr. Looigi UwU

Aug 8, 2018
    United States
    Rec Center
    How do I run steam games in ultra wide screen? The reason I ask is because I’d like to use the steamvr theater for normal games, keep in mind that my screen is 16:9 from what I understand, playing games in ultra wide in the steamvr theater makes it seem like a 180 degree angle

2. RatchetRussian

RatchetRussian Member

Newcomer
    Apr 11, 2018
    United States
    Trying to wrap my mind around how that would work. Wouldn't you still be limited by the viewing angle your VR headset is capable of outputting?

Never tried VR before so maybe this is going over my head but I'm not sure how you could accomplish 180° fov when the Oculus only offers 100.

3. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    by turning your head

4. RatchetRussian

RatchetRussian Member

Newcomer
    Apr 11, 2018
    United States
    *surprised Pikachu face*

I see what they're trying to do now. I can't imagine that would be a very enjoyable experience though.

You can set a custom resolution in your Nvidia control panel assuming you have an Nvidia card. You'll have to downsample the image from there unless your monitor can do so automatically.

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    You might have to get a bit creative here. I don't know the specifics of your setup, or even the steamvr thing, but I would not be surprised to see it take a bit of fiddling.

http://www.wsgf.org/ covers how compatible various games are with ultrawide settings. Sometimes patches and tweaks to registry/ini files and other mods will be needed. Of particular interest will be the FOV settings. You might have to make them look odd on the conventional screen but have the headset stretch it back to how it would look. If the headset acts as a secondary screen then this should not be so bad (worst case scenario you set it to the primary output), otherwise I am not sure what goes for virtual monitors or the equivalent of the software thtg* stuff people used to play with is doing these days.

*triple head to go was a device that allowed you to connect three screens and present it to the OS as one screen for those games which were monitor locked or only did fullscreen on one screen. People then made software equivalents which did not work as well but still got a lot done. Such a thing would presumably be of use here.