Hacking How do I run PS3 games FROM the external hard drive?

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the best way to play PS3 ISOs from an external drive anyway if it's a 5tb drive? I can't do fat32 because it's too big (over 2gb and the PS3 craps itself with fat32) so I am using exFAT which is working fine for PS3 ISOs but I cannot mount PS1 ISOs and PS2 ISOs never dump to the internal when I select them.
FAT 32 support up to 2tb HDD capacity only, more than that you need to use exfat.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iirc, fat32 is mostly for jb/folder games that go in GAMES or GAMEZ folder (not to be confused with internal drive's game folder, which is where installed pkg files go). gamedata tool games go in a folder called gamei using the redirection syscall, which I think is 35 for the drive, 36 for the bd drive. gamei can only be on a fat32 drive, since it's basically a folder and native format for the ps3, which can only read fat32 by default. iso files go on ntfs or exfat in PSXISO, PS3ISO (PS2ISO can only be done on internal, since it's in its own environment, and from what I've heard it would be extremely difficult to patch it to work on external. it's possibly just not practical, and there aren't a lot of ps3 devs left to make it happen anyway.

I don't remember a whole lot about the ps3 stuff (trying to forget), because I hate the system and its scene. almost debated on whether to plug in the system again after moving the shelf with it on it up to make room for the ps5.

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iirc, fat32 is mostly for jb/folder games that go in GAMES or GAMEZ folder (not to be confused with internal drive's game folder, which is where installed pkg files go). gamedata tool games go in a folder called gamei using the redirection syscall, which I think is 35 for the drive, 36 for the bd drive. gamei can only be on a fat32 drive, since it's basically a folder and native format for the ps3, which can only read fat32 by default. iso files go on ntfs or exfat in PSXISO, PS3ISO (PS2ISO can only be done on internal, since it's in its own environment, and from what I've heard it would be extremely difficult to patch it to work on external. it's possibly just not practical, and there aren't a lot of ps3 devs left to make it happen anyway.

I don't remember a whole lot about the ps3 stuff (trying to forget), because I hate the system and its scene. almost debated on whether to plug in the system again after moving the shelf with it on it up to make room for the ps5.

Can folder format games in the \GAMES\ folder run from an exfat drive like that?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not that I know of, no. I think exfat is just for ISO games, same as ntfs. I don't know for 100% though as I've never tried exfat or ntfs.

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAT 32 support up to 2tb HDD capacity only, more than that you need to use exfat.

You can try FAT32 GUI FORMATTER to make larger drives a single FAT32 partition. I use it for the Wii and have used drives from 3TB all the way up to 10TB (link below in my signature). I think the original site is no longer around but I have it backed up on my OneDrive linked below.

Not sure how the PS3 software works though. I know for the Wii (in most cases) you have to change the drive partition table from a GPT to MBR to get it to work. And depending on the size of drive you'll need to adjust the cluster size to have the entire drive usable such as: 4TB 32k cluster / 5TB to 8TB 64k cluster / 10TB 256k cluster. Seeing the Wii only really needs a 5TB drive to have all the NTSC Wii & GameCube titles I never tried my 12TB or 18TB drives, 5TB was the sweet spot.

If MBR is needed then a Western Digital Drive would be recommended because not all drives have the software to make them MBR. You'd have to read the post linked in my signature if you want a little more detailed explanation.

My FAT32 GUI FORMATTER Links:
---32-bit Link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akr7GOOfRVh8g7knYUDd6gLYFAc50A?e=L3aAxX
---64-bit Link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akr7GOOfRVh8gvBWQvn3BwTnTDyE-w?e=1XJ2eA

Reactions: Hammyface

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mbr is required still afaik on the ps3.
How about cluster size? I know on the Wii it is preferred to format to FAT32 with 32k clusters. I have a modded PS3 that I'd eventually be interested in trying this with.

However using the larger cluster size for my larger drives on the Wii never seemed to be an issue, they all work just fine. The main key seemed to be an MBR Partition formatted to FAT32.

There were also recommendations that I followed to set the drive as PRIMARY and ACTIVE, but others have told me that those were not needed, but do not hurt anything so always set them. The only other issue found was small fragments left on the drive that needed to be merged into the main partition so that nothing else no matter how small, even if unallocated, was on there. This usually showed up as an unallocated asterisk symbol in the first position of the partition. Easily merged with Partition Master or similar program.

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow okay so I have a 5tb USB hard drive for my PS3. My PS3 games take up like 3 tb. So I am going to partition it so that 2TB can be fat32 for PS1 ISOs and PS3 games in the folder format, and the 3TB for the PS3 ISOs?

Does doing this wipe out all my PS3 ISOs?

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow okay so I have a 5tb USB hard drive for my PS3. My PS3 games take up like 3 tb. So I am going to partition it so that 2TB can be fat32 for PS1 ISOs and PS3 games in the folder format, and the 3TB for the PS3 ISOs?

Does doing this wipe out all my PS3 ISOs?
PS3 cant read partitioned HDD. It will read 1 partition only at once.

Abdelhameyd23232

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
تأخرت Kinda على الحفلة ، حصلت على PS3 اليوم.

نموذج فات ، 80 جيجابايت ، CECHL04 ، روجيرو 4.50

لذلك بعد قراءة الكثير من الأدلة على الإنترنت ، كان لدي انطباع بأنني أستطيع تشغيل الألعاب مباشرة من محرك أقراص ثابت خارجي ، دون نقلها إلى داخلي. قال صديقي أنه يفعل نفس الشيء.

لدي حاليًا 16 جيجا بايت USB فقط. لقد قمت بتهيئته إلى FAT32 ، وأنشأت مجلد "GAMEZ" ووضعت لعبة Tales of Graces f فيه. المجلد يسمى BLUS شيء. تم فتح multiman ، والنقر على حكايات النعم ، وأعادني مرة أخرى إلى XMB وقمت بتشغيل اللعبة من هناك. ولكن بعد ذلك قال إنني ما زلت بحاجة إلى مساحة على محرك الأقراص الثابتة لتشغيله.
ما يعطي؟ أنا أقوم بتشغيله من القرص الصلب الخارجي ، وليس من الداخل ومن الواضح أن هناك مساحة كبيرة بالداخل. Tales of Graces f 6.75 جيجا بايت.

إذن ما الذي أفتقده هنا؟ هل يجب علي استخدام جهاز تقسيم PS3 هذا؟ تمكنت من نقل الملفات بدونها.

حقا هنا في الخسارة.

تحرير: لأكون صادقًا معكم يا رفاق ، لست متأكدًا حتى من كيفية نقل الملفات من الخارج إلى الداخلي على أي حال. تمكنت من تثبيت Child of Light لكنه كان ملف .pkg وكان سهلًا نسبيًا.
نعم يا صاح يمكنك اللعب مع خارجي
But i recommend you to use an ssd faster in the loading and increase the performance in heavy games like gta v. AND the More important it didn't heat like the hdd
So this your choice at the end

put to play you have to jailbreak your ps3 with hen or rubug(custom frameware) any thing of those the tow can run multiman all we need in the internal hdd is the multiman okay

now go to any site any game you went
i strongly recommend this site's for you

romsfun/ROMs pure/ps3iso
This site's are perfect all games i tried from this site's and the game's are full and works fine without any problems
Make sure you download game's with the DUPLEX format this the format of multiman game's and iso to but all iso game's work good so just download the dublex format

Use your pc to download the game's and extract them ok

Connect your external hdd/ssd to your pc and FORMAT it on FAT32 don't use it with the NTFS format because ps3 didn't read the NTFS fiels

Now after the format creat a folder in the external hdd/ssd and this folder name it (GAMES) you should make the litters big like this:(GAMES) this make another folder inside the GAME'S folder and name it by the game code you went to play The game code is the name that the game folder have its like: (BCUA02930) and make sure again the letter's be big and don't miss any number or letter if that happen the game will not popup in multiman
final step copy folder called (PS3game)
To the folder that named by the game code don't copy any more folders even the dlc 's too just copy the ps3game and don't worry this way didn't make any issues with the file's coping in the external hdd /ssd because we all know the fat 32 format didn't able to copy file's than more 4gigabyte but if have any problem with the game size use ps3 splitting app

This map will help you alot
usb>GAMES>game code folder>ps3 game

And that's it go to finall step
Connect your external hdd/ssd to your ps3 in usb slot 2 not 1 and enable hen and go to multiman if you have the rebug go to multiman don't serch on hen in your system
You opend the multiman the game will appear press X on the game icon and
There be massage will be appear maybe for one's or towice on my system its apear for towice and after this massage the xmb will popup and go up you will see a cd press X on the CD icon and the game will run and enjoy your game

Sorry for long comment

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
نعم يا صاح يمكنك اللعب مع خارجي
But i recommend you to use an ssd faster in the loading and increase the performance in heavy games like gta v. AND the More important it didn't heat like the hdd
So this your choice at the end

put to play you have to jailbreak your ps3 with hen or rubug(custom frameware) any thing of those the tow can run multiman all we need in the internal hdd is the multiman okay

now go to any site any game you went
i strongly recommend this site's for you

romsfun/ROMs pure/ps3iso
This site's are perfect all games i tried from this site's and the game's are full and works fine without any problems
Make sure you download game's with the DUPLEX format this the format of multiman game's and iso to but all iso game's work good so just download the dublex format

Use your pc to download the game's and extract them ok

Connect your external hdd/ssd to your pc and FORMAT it on FAT32 don't use it with the NTFS format because ps3 didn't read the NTFS fiels

Now after the format creat a folder in the external hdd/ssd and this folder name it (GAMES) you should make the litters big like this:(GAMES) this make another folder inside the GAME'S folder and name it by the game code you went to play The game code is the name that the game folder have its like: (BCUA02930) and make sure again the letter's be big and don't miss any number or letter if that happen the game will not popup in multiman
final step copy folder called (PS3game)
To the folder that named by the game code don't copy any more folders even the dlc 's too just copy the ps3game and don't worry this way didn't make any issues with the file's coping in the external hdd /ssd because we all know the fat 32 format didn't able to copy file's than more 4gigabyte but if have any problem with the game size use ps3 splitting app

This map will help you alot
usb>GAMES>game code folder>ps3 game

And that's it go to finall step
Connect your external hdd/ssd to your ps3 in usb slot 2 not 1 and enable hen and go to multiman if you have the rebug go to multiman don't serch on hen in your system
You opend the multiman the game will appear press X on the game icon and
There be massage will be appear maybe for one's or towice on my system its apear for towice and after this massage the xmb will popup and go up you will see a cd press X on the CD icon and the game will run and enjoy your game

Sorry for long comment
I don't agree. Ssd will be bottlenecked by the usb 2.0 ports. Pretty sure you can use both ntfs and exfat now, fat32 is just what the system natively supports. Ntfs and exfat can use iso format, which your suggestion is jb format (games folder). PS3ISO is where ps3 isos go. Then PS2ISO, PSXISO, etc for other systems.

adonios77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
First of all, thank you all for all this help/infos.
I think that all this information should at some point be gathered in a complete guide so that we do not have to look for scattered and unrelated information on the internet every time.
I will try too to do it here, parted as categories/subcategories within a post, when / if I succeed. But for the time, I'm yet studding. ;)

Last edited by adonios77,

adonios77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I do need to run (bigger than 4GB) PS3 games through EXTERNAL STORAGE (USB).

This is some complicated and depended at supported PS3 model (CECH?-xxxx), xFW, ext. storage format (FAT/NTFS/...), game format ('JB'/ISO), ect.

* ext. storage format related to games format.
So, what should do if needs to run games which includes files over 4GB? (assumed latest CFW is already installed)

For example, I didn't make it even with "PS3_ISO_TOOLS" splited ISO on NTFS USB
or FAT USB stick because of 'oversized' .nefs file
(>4GB). (Both tried with no luck: mmCM, webMan, irisMAN...)

Any help please?

Last edited by adonios77,

ISO-Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since there is good info in this thread, I guess I'll piggyback instead starting a new thread.

HEN/MultiMan .. What is the maximum USB drive using NTFS for ISO's? Is there anything the drive needs to be that is different from Retail PC/Windows drives (I did see mention using MBR). Does the USB need to be self-powered?

I am going to buy a new drive today for ext and upgrade my 500gb ssd int to 1tb ssd. I done research to PS3 Ext with conflicting readings and info being out dated.

Sorry if posting isn't coherent, just had neck surgery and not enjoying recovery.

ISO-Man

UPDATE: Using MBR, needed power for drive, and made /PS3ISO with iso's inside folder. MultiMan lists them. Everyone I try, I get the same error message.

This operation is not allowed
ISO Type: 32
ISO Path (i) [/dev_hdd0/temp/wmtmp/The Sims 3 Pets.ISO.ntfs[PS3ISO]]
ISO Path (o) [/dev_hdd0/temp/wmtmp/The Sims 3 Pets.ISO]
ISO SEGS 1
ERROR 80010002 (EINVAL)

Another site has a thread stating to use HEN2.2.1 instead of current version.

Bought 6TB drive and MBR is still 2TB limit... how do you others going past 2TB?

Last edited by ISO-Man,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse