Hacking How do I run PS3 games FROM the external hard drive?

Bake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Kinda late for the party, got a PS3 today.

Fat model, 80 GB, CECHL04, Rogero 4.50

So after reading tons of guides online, I was under impression I can run games directly from external hard drive, without transfering them to internal. My friend said he does the same.

I currently only have 16 GB USB. I formatted it to FAT32, made a "GAMEZ" folder and put my Tales of Graces f game in it. The folder is called BLUS something. Opened multiman, clicked on tales of graces f, it brought me back to XMB and I ran the game from there. But then it said I still need space on my hard drive to run it.
What gives? I'm running it from the external hard drive, not internal and there's obviously plenty of space inside. Tales of Graces f is 6.75 GB.

So what am I missing here? Do I have to use that PS3 splitter thingy? I managed to transfer the files without it.

Really at loss here.

EDIT: Tho to be honest with you guys, I'm not even sure how I would transfer the files from external to internal anyway. I managed to install Child of Light but it was .pkg file and was relatively easy.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How To Play Retail GAMES On CFW PS3:

1) First of all Download a PS3 game from internet.

2) You will find folder structure like this:
\BXXXXXXXX
\PS3_GAME
\PS3_UPDATE(Delete the PS3_UPDATE folder)

3) Make a folder named GAMES in fat32 drive.
4) Copy the BXXXXXXXX folder to GAMES folder.
5) Start PS3.
6) Connect Fat32 HDD.
7) Start MultiMan (if it is already installed).
8) Go under GAMES section, try finding the game you downloaded.
9) Press x on the game.
10) It will take you back to PS3's XMB.
11) Press x on app_home option.
12) It will load your game.
13) ENJOY.
Credit goes to: PS3GAMER20111
I did a loooong time ago and worked perfectly fine. I am on REBUG 4.46.. No different from yours. :)

Bake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
But that's exactly what I did :/
And it still says I need more space. I really don't understand.

Bake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
"There is not enough free space on the system storage. The game was forced to quit. At least 3318 MB more free space is needed."

Before installing Child of Light on PS3, it used to write "At least 1000+ MB more free space is needed." (don't remember the exact number).

Reactions: bearmon2010

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh, yes.. thats mean you have 6.75gb and your other 3318mb is already fully. You will need to deleted some games files from your PS3 XMB that might have more than 3318mb in the internal hard drive and try again. It will work. I did that too before. You have 80gb PS3 PHAT which is not enough for many games. I have 120gb PS3 SLIM.

Reactions: Bake

Bake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Yes, but, why would my internal space matter? I'm running it from external one. What's the point of running it from external then? I can just transfer to internal and everything would be the same.

Or are you saying that some games require me to have at least some free space available on internal in order to run the games?

Reactions: Windows_10_User

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, many games required GAME DATA to install to internal hard drive.. Some games will asked for GAME DATA install to internal hard drive and you can say no and some games required you to do so. I dont know if your game required it or not. Please try to say no and see if it can continue and if it insist you to do so then you have to do that. A GAME DATA will not install to external hard drive at all. Only internal hard drive.

Bake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Oh thanks, that's helpful.

It says here I'll need to reinstall the system software. I bought the PS3 already modded. I'd have to install the CFW on my own then?

Reactions: bearmon2010

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No worries. Everything will re-install because the CFW is already saved on the motherboard just slip out old HDD and slip back in the preferred new HDD.:)

Click if you like it. :D

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way... if you have those things like homebrew stuff, game data, saved data then you WILL have to install all your homebrew goodies, game data, and saved data. I recommend that you back it all up first then switch to your new HDD.

Just in case if it asked you to reinstall CFW.. I just read somewhere and some people have a problem. I hope that you do not have that but just in case.

1. Backup your data to an external or whatever you want
2. Swap your HDD while on CFW
3. Reinstall your favorite CFW if it asks you to
4. Restore your data

Bake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
By the way... if you have those things like homebrew stuff, game data, saved data then you WILL have to install all your homebrew goodies, game data, and saved data. I recommend that you back it all up first then switch to your new HDD.

Ah, I was aware of that already but thanks for the concern.

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How To Play Retail GAMES On CFW PS3:

1) First of all Download a PS3 game from internet.

2) You will find folder structure like this:
\BXXXXXXXX
\PS3_GAME
\PS3_UPDATE(Delete the PS3_UPDATE folder)

3) Make a folder named GAMES in fat32 drive.
4) Copy the BXXXXXXXX folder to GAMES folder.
5) Start PS3.
6) Connect Fat32 HDD.
7) Start MultiMan (if it is already installed).
8) Go under GAMES section, try finding the game you downloaded.
9) Press x on the game.
10) It will take you back to PS3's XMB.
11) Press x on app_home option.
12) It will load your game.
13) ENJOY.
Credit goes to: PS3GAMER20111

I did a loooong time ago and worked perfectly fine. I am on REBUG 4.46.. No different from yours. :)
what about if the folders name is BXXXXXXXXXXX-bioshock? do i need to rename the folder or is going to work on ps3 like that?

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what about if the folders name is BXXXXXXXXXXX-bioshock? do i need to rename the folder or is going to work on ps3 like that?

Thats old. It was in 2014. I no longer used that method. I am using PS3 iso files for an external hard drive and it is much easier!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: