Hacking How do I run PS3 games FROM the external hard drive?

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the best way to play PS3 ISOs from an external drive anyway if it's a 5tb drive? I can't do fat32 because it's too big (over 2gb and the PS3 craps itself with fat32) so I am using exFAT which is working fine for PS3 ISOs but I cannot mount PS1 ISOs and PS2 ISOs never dump to the internal when I select them.
FAT 32 support up to 2tb HDD capacity only, more than that you need to use exfat.

godreborn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iirc, fat32 is mostly for jb/folder games that go in GAMES or GAMEZ folder (not to be confused with internal drive's game folder, which is where installed pkg files go). gamedata tool games go in a folder called gamei using the redirection syscall, which I think is 35 for the drive, 36 for the bd drive. gamei can only be on a fat32 drive, since it's basically a folder and native format for the ps3, which can only read fat32 by default. iso files go on ntfs or exfat in PSXISO, PS3ISO (PS2ISO can only be done on internal, since it's in its own environment, and from what I've heard it would be extremely difficult to patch it to work on external. it's possibly just not practical, and there aren't a lot of ps3 devs left to make it happen anyway.

I don't remember a whole lot about the ps3 stuff (trying to forget), because I hate the system and its scene. almost debated on whether to plug in the system again after moving the shelf with it on it up to make room for the ps5.

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iirc, fat32 is mostly for jb/folder games that go in GAMES or GAMEZ folder (not to be confused with internal drive's game folder, which is where installed pkg files go). gamedata tool games go in a folder called gamei using the redirection syscall, which I think is 35 for the drive, 36 for the bd drive. gamei can only be on a fat32 drive, since it's basically a folder and native format for the ps3, which can only read fat32 by default. iso files go on ntfs or exfat in PSXISO, PS3ISO (PS2ISO can only be done on internal, since it's in its own environment, and from what I've heard it would be extremely difficult to patch it to work on external. it's possibly just not practical, and there aren't a lot of ps3 devs left to make it happen anyway.

I don't remember a whole lot about the ps3 stuff (trying to forget), because I hate the system and its scene. almost debated on whether to plug in the system again after moving the shelf with it on it up to make room for the ps5.

Can folder format games in the \GAMES\ folder run from an exfat drive like that?

godreborn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not that I know of, no. I think exfat is just for ISO games, same as ntfs. I don't know for 100% though as I've never tried exfat or ntfs.

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAT 32 support up to 2tb HDD capacity only, more than that you need to use exfat.

You can try FAT32 GUI FORMATTER to make larger drives a single FAT32 partition. I use it for the Wii and have used drives from 3TB all the way up to 10TB (link below in my signature). I think the original site is no longer around but I have it backed up on my OneDrive linked below.

Not sure how the PS3 software works though. I know for the Wii (in most cases) you have to change the drive partition table from a GPT to MBR to get it to work. And depending on the size of drive you'll need to adjust the cluster size to have the entire drive usable such as: 4TB 32k cluster / 5TB to 8TB 64k cluster / 10TB 256k cluster. Seeing the Wii only really needs a 5TB drive to have all the NTSC Wii & GameCube titles I never tried my 12TB or 18TB drives, 5TB was the sweet spot.

If MBR is needed then a Western Digital Drive would be recommended because not all drives have the software to make them MBR. You'd have to read the post linked in my signature if you want a little more detailed explanation.

My FAT32 GUI FORMATTER Links:
---32-bit Link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akr7GOOfRVh8g7knYUDd6gLYFAc50A?e=L3aAxX
---64-bit Link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akr7GOOfRVh8gvBWQvn3BwTnTDyE-w?e=1XJ2eA

Reactions: Hammyface

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mbr is required still afaik on the ps3.
How about cluster size? I know on the Wii it is preferred to format to FAT32 with 32k clusters. I have a modded PS3 that I'd eventually be interested in trying this with.

However using the larger cluster size for my larger drives on the Wii never seemed to be an issue, they all work just fine. The main key seemed to be an MBR Partition formatted to FAT32.

There were also recommendations that I followed to set the drive as PRIMARY and ACTIVE, but others have told me that those were not needed, but do not hurt anything so always set them. The only other issue found was small fragments left on the drive that needed to be merged into the main partition so that nothing else no matter how small, even if unallocated, was on there. This usually showed up as an unallocated asterisk symbol in the first position of the partition. Easily merged with Partition Master or similar program.

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow okay so I have a 5tb USB hard drive for my PS3. My PS3 games take up like 3 tb. So I am going to partition it so that 2TB can be fat32 for PS1 ISOs and PS3 games in the folder format, and the 3TB for the PS3 ISOs?

Does doing this wipe out all my PS3 ISOs?

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow okay so I have a 5tb USB hard drive for my PS3. My PS3 games take up like 3 tb. So I am going to partition it so that 2TB can be fat32 for PS1 ISOs and PS3 games in the folder format, and the 3TB for the PS3 ISOs?

Does doing this wipe out all my PS3 ISOs?
PS3 cant read partitioned HDD. It will read 1 partition only at once.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-7CaIA4ilE