Homebrew How do I play games I put into my SD card

kaceontroy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Excuse me, I am very new to this. So I'd like to play Pokemon Omega Ruby that I downloaded from the internet (.cia) and I'd like to ask you a question: What can I do to be able to play that game on my 3DS just by putting it on a SD card?

kaceontroy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I have finished installing everything that's needed. But I fear that I have not enough space on my SD card. I got 2GB SD card and I have managed to put OR on it, can I run it now or should I install it again (that means I need 4GB SD Card)?

ac3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I have finished installing everything that's needed. But I fear that I have not enough space on my SD card. I got 2GB SD card and I have managed to put OR on it, can I run it now or should I install it again (that means I need 4GB SD Card)?

It needs to be installed now, you might not have enough space though.

kaceontroy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I can't just run that .cia, I have to install it? Can I do it on my computer somehow? Omega Ruby .cia file takes 1.75 GB and after installation it takes another 1.77 GB, so it's impossible to handle it on 2GB SD Card.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I can't just run that .cia, I have to install it? Can I do it on my computer somehow? Omega Ruby .cia file takes 1.75 GB and after installation it takes another 1.77 GB, so it's impossible to handle it on 2GB SD Card.
Use Boop to install the CIA to your system on your computer.

kaceontroy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Use Boop to install the CIA to your system on your computer.
I went to FBi -> Remote Install and I got 5 choices
- Receive URL over the network
- Scan QR Code
- Manually enter URLs
- Repeat last request
- Forget last request

I tried the first one (it shows my IP and I copied it to Boop) but Boop says:

Failed to connect to 3D
Please check:
Did you write the right IP adress
Is FBI open and listening?

Well, my IP was shown the same in Homebrew Launcher and FBI "receive URLs", so I don't know what to do.

I am connected to the internet obviously (router that connects my computer aswell)

EDIT: Okay, nevermind, it works now. Thank you all for helping me, cheers.

Last edited by kaceontroy,
Reactions: Quantumcat

kaceontroy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry for bumping but it's important: If I buy a new SD card (let's say 32 GB), do I have to go through installing CFW all over again or it's enough to copy essential files and that's it?

kaceontroy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It would just be copying the files onto the new card.
What I meant is that I want to know if CFW is handled mostly by the 3DS itself and SD data is something that can be copied with no issues.

If I recall correctly 3DS can work without SD card, yes?

Last edited by kaceontroy,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I meant is that I want to know if CFW is handled mostly by the 3DS itself and SD data is something that can be copied with no issues.

You can easily move to a new SD card by copying everything on the old SD card to the new one.

Edit: You could also install games to your SD card using freeShop.

Last edited by Lacius,

Zkajavier

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica

That's correct, the SD is just needed to store files so you can just copy and paste without needing to re do anything. But remember 32GB and higher SDs will requiere you to format them to FAT32 or they won't work.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
above 32GB is not recommended by Nintendo due to stability. I personally own a 128GB card. what will happen is the home menu will get slower if u use a larger card. it won't affect the games though. be warned. I made this warning on my ex site, but they didn't believe me. stability or slowness is real though and probably will happen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning