How do i limit my sisters bandwith?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Hardkaare, Feb 14, 2010.

Feb 14, 2010
  1. Hardkaare
    OP

Member Hardkaare GBAtemp Fan

Vietnam
    As the title says it quite anoying that my sister is downloading things 24/7 like 20 songs at a time.

And that's affecting me, when shes doing that it takes like 10 secs to load GBATemp.

And in fps games i get a 1000ms ping!

So i was wondering if there was anyway to limit her bandwith so it wouldnt affect me?

2. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    Ask her nicely first...
    If that fails complain to your parents...
    If all else fails use a software called "Netcut" (I googled "how to limit someone's bandwidth" and somehow it showed up)... I have no idea how to use it, or whether you should use it, though. Go look for some info on it.

3. nitrostemp

Member nitrostemp GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    there are, if you have a smart enough routor

4. Elias843

Newcomer Elias843 Member

United Kingdom
    How about this. Seems like it works.

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    First ping may not necessarily be her fault and if it is you could probably do with a better router.

Three ways:

1) Router side, will require a decent router. Tends to be limited to high end or hacked models.

2) PC side if you stick it in between the router and the rest of the network. I personally repurpose old machines (pretty much anything will work here- search around and you will probably see a 486 on this job) to do this as they make great hardware firewalls. Naturally it requires the PC to be on.
    http://www.knowplace.org/pages/howtos/traf..._with_linux.php is a good start.

3) In software on PC. Less fun and easily bypassed, Elias843 linked you a popular one already and a search should net a few more. You might try prioritising your games over general internet before limiting though.

sideways option- average internet speeds in Vietnam will probably render this useless but on occasions where I have decent connections it can pay to drop wireless down to wireless B if the connection is faster.

6. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Just pull her internet cable out of her PC, or even better, get your fist out and start beating her up [​IMG]

7. Astral_

Member Astral_ GBAtemp Fan

France
    Most, if not all, P2P software have bandwith limitations build-in. It's important to tweak them (especially upload limits). You need to know which software she uses, though.

8. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Bandwidth and Ping rates, 2 completely different things

It seems the problem here is that she's simply taking up all the bandwidth to the extent that there is none left or not enough for your games and HTTP browsing

Some router have the ability or the function to reserve more bandwidth for each of the laptops, PC's, etc on the router. "

This can most probably be found under the DHCP section in the routers settings.

9. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Lack of bandwidth is a likely culprit. However having too many open connections can also bog down many lower end routers. They simply can't handle hundreds of open connections at once, something bitorrent and other p2p clients can cause.

If you have a decent router you should be able to do it from there. If not you'll have to tweak her p2p client. If it's bittorrent lower the amount of global connections. I wouldn't go any higher than 100 for global connections, and 50 max for a torrent. Your internet speed will also be a factor for this, so it may need to be tweaked further.

This on top of limiting her bandwidth like some others have suggest should help. I would suggest QoS on your router, though that is really only helpful if you're -uploading-. Downloading it's not so good.

10. zhuzhuchina

Member zhuzhuchina GBAtemp Advanced Fan

China
    if your sister use a specific program, you can find the program's settings and see if there is a download limit speed

11. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    Been using that for a while.

That and Access Restriction on my Tomato router to just disable my sisters internet... when I feel like it.
    I'm pretty sure there's a mod of Tomato to have bandwidth restriction built in.

I would be sure to talk with your sister/parents first though.
    Here, my internet used to be 30 kilobytes up/down with around 4 people, so stuff like that happened alot.

Also, remember to monitor upload, depending on the game, that'll make it lag too.

12. BlackDave

Member BlackDave Official GBATemp "Cleanup Guy"

United States

YEEAAAH sisters are annoying.... I think I'm gonna use that program too [​IMG]

13. Arp1

Member Arp1 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Do have any programs like Network magic? It allows you to block anything using your WiFi, mainly maintains you're devices on the network.

14. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    For anyone else who plans to use this for sisters, my suggestion is install it on their computer when they not there, and setup the remote connect, and uninstall the client so they can't change it. [​IMG]

I used to piss my sister off so much like that.
    Getting the remote connect thing is hard (might want to look online for that), but so worth it at the end.

15. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    There is. I have it on my WRT54GL at the moment. Called Tomato RAF by Victek. You can specify max bandwidth per client using mac addresses.