How do i know if i'm safe to update to 11.1

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by tyy007, Sep 28, 2016.

1. tyy007
    OP

tyy007 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 28, 2016
    Forgive me in advance but I just got my 3DS like a month ago and enjoying it but today i can't access online on my Alpha Sapphire and even my friend list (getting error code that states i have to update my system software) but i can go online on my Monster Hunter Generations. My current firmware based on the system settings in the 3DS is RX-E 11.0.0-33U. I read that the firmware 11.1 kills some entry point like menuhax and browserhax and i was wondering, how do i know what entry point am i using? Am i safe to update? I watched some videos online on how to install some entry points but i cannot find the one installed in my 3DS. Whenever i boot my 3DS i get the home menu ropbin screen then a short rxtool screen then im on my home screen, ready to play. Please enlighten me on this.

P.S i just paid a shop to install CFW on my 3DS so i don't know a thing.

Thanks!

2. maorninja

maorninja GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    1. You're using RXTools.

While it is safe to update to 11.1 EmuNAND, in the future, it might not be the case.

Please stop using RXTools and consider A9LH/menuhax with Luma3DS.

2. Browserhax, menuhax, Smilehax & BASICSploit are patched in 11.1.0-34. It won't affect anything else.

"How do I know what entrypoint I'm using?"

The entrypoints you use to get in CFW are in 9.2.0-20. You're safe, although, the only exploit that won't work on 9.2 is Ironhax. You're using menuhax on a 9.2.0 sysnand.

3. hacksn5s4

hacksn5s4 Banned

Banned
    Aug 12, 2015
    stop using rx tools

4. maorninja

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    @hacksn5s4 Just, no.

That isn't the whole point of the thread. The point is basically, "how do I enter my 3DS exploit" and "is it safe".

Don't force the user to not use RXTools. Instead, give him reasons and/or alternatives.

So anyways, you're using menuhax. It's much more perfered to use A9LH, as it has 100% boot rate, use sysnand and not emunand, etc...

5. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    As long as you update your EmuNAND and not your SysNAND, you should be fine. You can't break hacks by updating your EmuNAND.

maorninja likes this.
  6. maorninja

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    @sj33 That is true if you don't have A9LH. If you do, kiss emunand goodbye.

OP, we're not trying to force you on A9LH/Luma. Its your choice. We're just recommending.

7. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Ready for summer!

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    maorninja likes this.
  8. maorninja

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
  9. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Not refering to this thread specifically, but sometimes we should just answer the question the OP is asking rather than responding with 'install A9LH' in every single thread. People are perfectly aware that A9LH exists and might not want to change their existing setup for whatever reason.

In the case of rxTools however, it is no longer under active development so it's a good idea to look at alternatives such as Luma. You don't even need to install A9LH if you don't want, you can keep using your existing exploits.

Last edited by sj33, Sep 28, 2016
  10. tyy007
    OP

tyy007 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 28, 2016
    So i can update safely to 11.1? How do i update it? Regularly in the system settings? Thanks for answering!

11. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Through the system settings

12. maorninja

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    Regularly in system settings.

Make sure it says RXE instead of ver

sj33 likes this.
  13. tyy007
    OP

tyy007 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 28, 2016
    Thank you everyone! I just updated and it works! Thanks again! and i will start reading up on Luma3DS! Cheers!

14. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  15. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    You already have it in your signature, why not just make it stand out more, so you don't need to keep doing this? You are making more work for yourself. :P

On a related note, even though luma protects against losing a9lh on updates, is it still safe to confirm update will not break anything we commonly use or someone has to fix like ntr, or whatever?:ninja:

16. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Always check, because it takes 10 seconds of your time and it's good to be sure.

maorninja likes this.
  17. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I actually ran some tests for Corbenik a few months ago to test the FIRM0/1 protection, which is based on Luma3DS's FIRM0/1 protection. I flash a 9.2 NAND to my system, then updated to 10.7. The results, the FIRM0/1 were left untouched.
    Now the simple truth is, Nintendo could, in theory make a targeted update for A9LH, but that would actually be a horrible idea and Nintendo know this. How A9LH works would require the same code used to create it to actually properly remove it. Something Nintendo can't do because each A9LH build is built for each system. Basically, trying to a targeted update to remove A9LH would only result in bricking both hacked and non-hacked systems. This is the reason updating without FIRM0/1 protection results in a brick.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Sep 28, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice