How do I get the PSP to charge on USB?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by dib, May 3, 2009.

May 3, 2009
  1. dib
    OP

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I have enabled Sony's USB charge in the system menu. I have enabled the USB charge in the custom firmware settings (holding R while booting). I even downloaded+installed a plugin called usbslimcharge. And still my battery level drops even while plugged into my PC. Checking the battery conditions under system shows "power source: battery", "battery status: in use". Clearly I'm missing something.

2. SylvWolf

Member SylvWolf Ave Dominus Nox

United States
    I'm pretty sure you have to have USB Mode enabled (actually select it from the leftmost menu) for it to charge. Are you doing that or is it just connected and on the XMB or in a game?

3. blitzer320

Member blitzer320 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    and you have to have a 2000 or 3000 psp usb charge doesn't work on fat or 1000 models

4. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

you can however charge a PHAT 1000 psp via USB using a USB to power connector USB cable or Dual Power + USB data cable like this one

[​IMG]

I bought one of these for my PHAT but they are not great [​IMG] if the PSP is completely flat or dead then it refuses to even start charging [​IMG]

you can charge it while you are using it or if their is still a little charge left in the battery say 1 bar at least left!

but WILL NOT charge through the USB DATA cable part alone it uses a separate connector that plugs into the power cable port like a normal power adapter!

5. dib
    OP

United States
    My understanding is that Sony's charge option will only charge during USB mode, but the others enable USB charging at any time. Hence why it's added to game as well as vsh. As far as I can tell, my PSP isn't ever charging over USB.

6. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    You haven't confirmed that you have a Slim PSP yet....no USB charge for the PSP 1000.

7. dib
    OP

United States
    Thought it was a given because the usbSLIMcharge plugin wouldn't do much good otherwise. But yes, I own a PSP slim.

8. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Which firmware are you on? On earlier firmwares you actually had to have the USB connection enabled to start the USB charge (you'll see the power light change colour).

9. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    for the 1000 there is a usb charge mod. I've done it, but the charge speed isn't as fast though. It still worth it.
    You need to disassemble your psp, and then get a wire to run through certain points.
    All you need to make sure is that you assemble it in the right order, and make sure all cables are inserted correctly when complete.
    http://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=19945.0
    Soldering wires would make everything easier, but it is still possible to do it without soldering (explained in the link)

10. DarkPacMan77

Newcomer DarkPacMan77 Member

United States
    Charging through USB, whether from a modded 1000 series PSP or the Slim with its built-in USB charging function, is slower than the normal power cord anyways. Perhaps worthwhile though, like you said, for 1000 models to undergo surgery for that added benefit.

I tried doing tests the other day on my slim to see if charging via USB + AC power cord was faster than just the AC power cord itself. I haven't come to a definitive conclusion, but it seems like the charging "stacks" and is faster.