Hacking How do I get rid of the Wii U update nag?

DanT1983

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi all,

I have been away for a few weeks and when I came back, my Wii U is asking me to update. I can keep canceling out, but it's getting annoying.

I had all the update servers blocked (according to this site), and I really have no idea how an update was even downloaded. The only game I play online is MK8, and the only other three games I play are ZombiU, Zelda, and W101.

My system worked just fine for months, and no one uses it except me. Standby mode is turned off and the only game I play online is MK8, which I played perfectly about a week ago - maybe a bit more than that. I left for a work assignment soon after and did not come back until today.

Now my Wii U seems to have downloaded an update and is nagging me to install it.
Moreover, it is telling me I need to update my Wii U in order to play MK8 online. This was never necessary before, and I have about 200 hours in MK8, so it's not like I am just making it up.

HELP! I want to play MK8 online without updating and losing whatever chance I have at running home-brew (mostly concerned about emulators) on my Wii U.

Bat420maN

Trophies
Website
wiidatabase.freeforums.org
XP
Country
United States
I am getting a kick out of everyone being upset about them blocking online without the new update. Either update and lose the current exploit, and enjoy MK8. Or wait, just like everyone else in the world will have to do. You should never even expect to be online if your also expecting to run homebrew.

Reactions: Huntereb

DanT1983

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
update is needed for online gaming
and a MK8 update IS coming, in a few weeks that will be needed for online
as soon as you go online with ANY game, it will download the update

Wow Sneaky.

So it downloads even if all the IP's are blocked as soon as I game online? Props to Nintendo. That takes both guts and skill.

Any way to get rid of the update nag as soon as I turn on my Wii U?
I can cancel out of it, but it sure is annoying.

Can I reformat my system? Would that get rid of it?

I have Pikmin 3 as my MK8 download, but already beat it - so I don't need to re-download it.

If I restore my system back to defaults, will it still nag me to update, or will it remove the downloaded update from my system?

Thanks!

I am getting a kick out of everyone being upset about them blocking online without the new update. Either update and lose the current exploit, and enjoy MK8. Or wait, just like everyone else in the world will have to do. You should never even expect to be online if your also expecting to run homebrew.

I was always online with my PS2 and Wii, and never had a similar issue.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get one console for homebrew, and another console for online gameplay. Homebrew or online game play, take your pick, but only pick one. You shouldn't expect homebrew/backup loading and online gameplay with the same console.

I guess the same could be said for newer games too, if an update is included on the disc. No new games for you either, if you don't update.

Reactions: Ryanrocks462

optikalsaint

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was having the same issue. Haven't played in a few weeks and went to play Pikmin 3 today and couldn't get the Wii U to open any game, downloaded or on disc, until I "upgraded" to 5.1.1. To get around it I hit cancel, went to the settings, and deleted all of my network settings so it wouldn't try to go online at all. Now I can play whatever I want without being nagged.

I'm incredibly annoyed I couldn't even play games on disc without being forced to update if it even detects there is an internet connection present.

Reactions: pelago

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs