How do I get a 4TB HD to work for my wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Snaker02, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Snaker02
    OP

Snaker02 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2019
    United States
    I have a 4TB WD Elements HD that i would like to use on my wii for gamecube and wii backups but I don't know the best way to make it happen. I had a 1TB formatted to FAT32 and everything was all good. Just needed more space for things. Is there any was to get the whole HD to FAT32 or should I partition it? I have never partitioned a HD before and I don't know which should be primary and if the other partition should be NTFS or both FAT32. I recently modded my a wii I picked up for $5 so all of this is still pretty new to me.

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It should be FAT32, you can format it with Minitool Partition Wizard or guiformat.

3. Snaker02
    OP

Snaker02 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2019
    United States
    I tried the guiformat but it partitioned the drive and had an error, then my computer wouldnt recognize it. I had to go to the disk manager and delete the volume then convert it to gtp or gpt, whichever one it was. And I just tried the minitool partition wizard and its limiting the FAT32 size at 2Tb also.

Last edited by Snaker02, Feb 12, 2019
  4. Yvette222

Yvette222 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2019
    Canada
    Hello, Windows cannot format drives and partitions larger than 32GB in FAT32. With some third party partition tool, you can break this limit. But they normally can't help you create a FAT32 partition larger than 2TB.

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    FAT32 is limited to 2TB on a 512 byte sector size. The sector size is hardcoded in the HDD and can't be changed. Most likely you won't need more than 2TB for Wii/GC (actually even 500GB should be plenty if you don't download shovelware), so you can have the second partition as NTFS and use it for other things.