how do I edit this?

Discussion in 'GBA - Game Development, ROM Hacks and Translations' started by azoreseuropa, Apr 13, 2007.

Apr 13, 2007

how do I edit this? by azoreseuropa at 4:35 AM (1,010 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. azoreseuropa
    OP

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Hi.

Yay! I am able to do this. LOOK:

[​IMG]

but I am not able to edit this to M. BUSTER. I do not know where to go. [​IMG]

Look:

[​IMG]

If someone could help I would really appreciate it. [​IMG]

EDIT: That might just be a graphical tile edit, am I right ? If so, how do I find it ? [​IMG]
    Yes, I know it has already been translated but I would like to do my part. My translation of the first game is accurate. Learning is good, isn't it ? [​IMG]

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    First there is nothing wrong in my opinion with tinkering with an already translated game so you not need to try and justify it.

If it text (unlikely from that shot you just gave) then the usual text finding methods are needed (relative search, corruption, disassembly and so on).

You are probably going to have more luck with graphics.
    The easiest way would be to bust out a memory/map or tile viewer like found in VBA and find the image you want then search the rom (maybe flipping the bytes on account of big/little endian) for the hex sequence obtained from the memory.

You could also scan through the rom in a tile editor (tiled 2002 my prefered):
    http://www.romhacking.net/?page=utilities&...rder=&record=20
    Of course if the rom is compressed (and rockman/megaman games can be bastards for this) you will have to find the compressed code, you can either use a dev oriented emulator (vba-sdl or no$gba paid version) and hope an SWI call is used to decompress (95% of the time they are) some code to (or covering) the memory section you found in the initial viewing stages.
    There are also tools that can decompress so you can scan through the rom:
    http://www.romhacking.net/?Category=15&Con...action=utillist

3. azoreseuropa
    OP

Portugal
    Which one should I use ? Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

4. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    I quite assure you TilEd 2002 works for GBA stuff.

I perhaps should have linked this instead for compression:
    http://www.romhacking.net/?Category=&Conso...action=utillist
    GBA Multi DeCompressor would be my choice here but be sure that you need it first.

edit: a quick scan through the game shows lots of uncompressed graphics.

5. azoreseuropa
    OP

Portugal
    Maybe it is in the wrong thread? This game is for the SNES (Super Famicom). [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Sorry you put it under GBA hacking and there is a GBA title of the same name.

The principles still apply although you are going to need a set of SNES tools, good news is that the whole snes rom hacking world is far more developed. My snes hacking skills however are not that hot so tool suggestions from me are pretty much out, the tools you want are called tracers although most dev oriented emulators will contain the same stuff.

Flick back and forth through: http://www.romhacking.net/?page=utilities&...rder=&record=60
    and read posts on the message board there.