ROM Hack How do I edit linked sprites with Tinke? (NBFC and NBFS textures)

scenikeight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm trying to insert some sprite edits I did into an NDS file, but I'm not sure how to do these ones, and I haven't found anything from googling it.
Tinke shows four things in this folder, a jumbled-looking .nbfc file, two .nbfs files that contain two layers which are linked to, I'm guessing, .nbfc file? and the palette for them.

upload_2020-10-6_0-46-27.png

upload_2020-10-6_0-47-13.png

upload_2020-10-6_0-47-27.png

I tried to import my edit of the second nbfs file, which is the only one I want to change, but it screws everything up, and shows up just as jumbled in game.
I only imported it to the correct file, not the nbfc or the first nbfs, but it didn't do what I was hoping it would and automatically jumble it into the nbfc or something lol. I pressed the "import" button on the right bottom, and the image is in png format. If it helps, it was made in and the palette was applied in Photoshop. I've made other sprite edits to this game successfully but not any of these linked ones.
upload_2020-10-6_0-44-49.png

upload_2020-10-6_0-44-10.png

Right is how it's supposed to look, for comparison's sake.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong because I'm new at this. If there's a better program to use than Tinke please let me know! Help would be very appreciated! A lot of the sprites in this game are jumbled like that even if they aren't linked to anything, and doing it manually has been a bit of a pain, so I hope I can avoid doing it here. The game is Puchi Eva if you need that info!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tinke is usually good. You could try cystaltile2 (open the ROM, there is a little nds icon on the right, click that and it will bring up the file list, from here find what you want, double click sets the location, right click allows you to load files if it understands the format -- nbfc is known to many but I am not sure if CT2 ever got it). It should be able to handle compression but you might need to reimport it (I normally rebuild the ROM with it in but there are easier methods).

Anyway that looks like a messed up map more than anything else -- sometimes menus and such if they have repeated data (like the rounded end there, the blank space, everything being slot/the Japanese equivalent and then a number...) will tell the game to reuse things. Can make it harder to hack if you need to change things radically.

I am unsure what would have caused it. Might have been a failure to recompress properly -- there are two map files there so if the initial LZ compression copied data from it but you edited a bunch of stuff then it might show something like what you see there. To that end if you want to grab the base lz file file, decompress that ( https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/826/ ), edit the files in question that you want and recompress it all and reinsert that might help narrow things down.

scenikeight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thank you very much for your help, I don't think either of those are compatible with these files though (CrystalTile 2 kind of opened them but wouldn't show them properly after some fiddling, I could just be stupid, I think I had the settings right though. The second one doesn't seem to support LZ10?) But anyway I did work out how to edit it properly. I just had to line it up with the .nbfc and it split itself into the two separate maps automatically. I guess it was easier than I thought.
upload_2020-10-6_16-11-0.png

Sam00

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am your fan, I hope and you continue with the patches. I am available if you want to try the games that you translate on a native console, I will test them both for you, PS2, PSP and Nintendo DS. Luck!!!!Sorry for of my bad English. But the Spanish community only cares about evangelion movies and TV series. Instead the English community admires these games as much as I do. : "" ")

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.