How do I convert the .BIN music files from the star fox gigaleak into .spc playable formats?

8bit_coder

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a bunch of music files, but they're in the .bin file extension. Is there any way to convert these into an .spc playable format? They have some strange file magic:
upload_2020-7-25_20-38-0.png

So far I haven't been able to figure out how to turn these into playable formats, maybe someone can help? Attached is a zip with all of the .BIN files so you can poke and prod at it and see if you can find stuff about it.

Attachments

• SND.zip
    285.9 KB · Views: 262
Last edited by 8bit_coder,

LowMax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's just a collection of samples, and we assume there is no header we would need to parse, then we would just need to know the sample rate and the bit width of the samples (or take an educated guess). If I were to try to recover the audio, I would write a C# application that you can select a sample rate and bit width, and it would read in the file assuming those parameters and play it back through my speakers.

So we could basically just take guesses at the information and listen to it. If it's garbage noise, then the guess is wrong, if it sounds like music, then our guess was right.

That's the idea I have if it's just raw sample data. It could be anything though so the whole effort might be for nothing? Maybe someone smarter than me has a better answer.

Edit: After some digging I found out that Audacity has a feature to import raw data. So there's no point in writing a custom program. I'm trying it out now.

Last edited by LowMax,

8bit_coder

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying Audacity with this as well, but nothing seems to work yet. Perhaps these are a special type of ADPCM samples? I could try posting the entire assembly program code for star fox and try to find the music routine. It might give some clues as to how the files are handled.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, Do you remember this song?