How do I connect a console to my PC monitor?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Opium, Jun 26, 2007.

  1. Opium

    Opium PogoShell it to me ™

    Former Staff
    Dec 22, 2002
    My monitor is a few years old and has one DVI input and one analog input in the back, however no nifty component cable input. Is there a cheap but effective device I can buy to let me connect my Wii to the monitor without much hassle? Any you'd recommend?

    Cheers [​IMG]
  2. Westside

    Westside Sogdiana

    Dec 18, 2004
    Guantanamo bay
    You can buy a TV tuner card for 19.99USD possibly near you at a local computer parts store, or Ebay, if you have to. However, that thing goes through the PC. If you want direct connection with the monitor, VGA box is what you are looking for.
  3. Maverick_z

    Maverick_z When did i join again??

    Nov 25, 2002
    there's one device called Gamebridge where it lets you connect any of your consoles to your pc provided they have the red, yellow and white wire thingies. you connect it to your PC through your usb port(s) *must be 2.0* just install the software and follow the directions and you're set up. (Plug N Play)

    with that come the ability to record your own gameplay vids and upload them to youtube or wherever

    I have one and it cost me about 10 bucks. I got it online and ever since then i've been playing KH, KHII, FFX, FFXII, and lil bit of Disgaea
  4. darksavior

    darksavior GBAtemp Regular

    Dec 2, 2006
    United States
    I use an MSI @nywhere Plus TV Tuner (around $30?) combined with DScaler's awesome deinterlacing. Does the job with my PS2. Only problem is that you need a fast cpu for the higher quality deinterlacers of Dscaler to work without skips.
  5. Westside

    Westside Sogdiana

    Dec 18, 2004
    Guantanamo bay
    VGA box is an excellent alternative if you don't want to slow down the PC while playing, however, it's a bit of an investment.
    Component is expensive...
    -Oops, forgot how some of us hates maxconsole with a passion, but it's only a reference.
  6. Zendrik

    Zendrik GBAtemp Fan

    Oct 26, 2002
    United States
    Kissimmee, FL
    To add on to Opium's request, is there a cheap bridge that does 480p? I am looking at the Neoya X2VGA 2. Its $60 but is 10% because they are out of stock. My only problem is that it supports up to 1080p and I am sure I am paying a premium for those high resolutions that I won't be using. Most of the cheaper ones don't support HD. HD is why I started looking for a monitor with component input. But if I can get a video bridge that is cheap and does 480p, I'll be a happy camper.
  7. FAST6191

    FAST6191 Techromancer

    pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I have a VGA box but I have noticed a few new "high res" versions appearing of late.

    The 360 also has the option to plug in via a monitor:
    Be wary though as this one had a male end (meaning I just pass it through my VGA box as a monitor but still).

    The quality of picture is usually not so great either on these boxes, still more than playable though.

    Here is one of the new "1080p" boxes, apologies for the maxconsole/divineo link:

    Saying this I think Westside hit the nail on the head with the TV tuner card, they can come in PCMCIA, firewire or USB and have the added bonus of getting TV on your PC.