Hacking How do I check what firmware my modded xbox 360 is running?

Shiv122

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just got it, it's modded. All I know is that it's not modded through a mod chip and it has the newer looking dashboard.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you mean DVD firmware you have to dump the firmware and check then. If you felt like wasting a whole bunch of discs you probably could figure it out (various combinations of waves, splitvid and AP2.5) or narrow it down somewhat but it is still probably easier to dump the firmware and find out that way (you are going to want to sooner or later anyway as you really do want a copy of the keys).

Shiv122

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright and how do I dump the firmware?

And is there any way for me to get the optional media update? I'm banned from Live, but I know someone with an unbanned xbox.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How to dump varies with the firmware on the drive model and the firmware on it (be it official, custom, versions of custom or new official firmware).

http://www.jungleflasher.net/downloads.html has guides to most of them from official firmware and a few if you have already modded it. With liteons using the LT line of custom firmwares and the recent XDG3 DVD update it got a bit more complex (or requires you to use some newer custom hardware/hardware fiddling methods rather than the simpler or even software only methods that came before it) but it should still be nothing major on original style 360s.

Media update- as far as I aware if you banned the media update is out of reach on that machine.

Shiv122

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright thanks man and since your here I got a game related question.

I know for a fact that the guy I got the xbox from need an activation disk to play games like Mass Effect 2.

He's lost that disk now but I'm pretty sure to get that I just get something called Activate.iso and burn that to a Dual layered DVD+R.

Once I get this disk will I be able to play a really new game like Deus Ex Human Revolution for example and use this burning method....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wM8JhOAlJg

Will the activation disk work?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Activate.iso would probably be 1.6. Good for you as it means you should be able to dump the keys all in software.

As for playing new games kind of- a couple of days back we saw the first wave12 game (the new rugby game) which means it carries an update that reflashes the DVD firmware. Every game before that save for the AP2.5 titles will be playable using this method, what games will be using wave12 from here is a gamble- games out in other regions probably will use the older waves but I will not be surprised if dead island or Driver: San Francisco has it and as it has already appeared I will be quite surprised if Gears 3 does not have it (although it has been nearly complete for a while now- see the leaked beta athough I doubt they sat on the release a la bayonetta the other year) .

That method.... is pointlessly complex for day to day stuff. Obtain iso, send it through ABGX360 and make sure it says good to go, open imgburn or your chosen iso burning program and select the .dvd file (if it did not come with one ABGX360 will have made one), press burn. Stealth patching only really comes into it with AP2.5 and badly stealthed games (usually only p2p titles and dupes from p2p- sometimes p2p groups get games before the scene and some groups with scene access will stick it up for everybody else) although it is certainly worth knowing how to do.

Shiv122

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks a lot for all your help man, I'm a PS3 gamer regularly so all this 360 stuff is new to me.

Alright three more questions now, thanks for bearing with me lol

1. I'll be able to play all wave 11 and under games, right?

2. Is there a place I can visit to find out what wave games are?

3. I don't have sata cable or sata hookup on my computer, is there any other way to update my firmware?

Thanks again man.

Oh and what's AP2.5?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1) All wave 11 and under save for the AP2.5 titles (more on that in a moment).

2) http://abgx360.net/verified.php has them listed.

3) Most people just buy a PCI sata card- type in via 6421 and up should pop a bunch for about the price of a pizza (they are quite old now but by no means rare). Laptop ones do exist but they cost a bit more and are somewhat rare. You can buy or build a power supply for it or you can just power it from the 360 (just remember to have the PC chassis and the 360 chassis electrically connected).

AP2.5 is a method that has technically been around for a while but only started being used last November- in short it is an updated security measure that allows some games to ask for additional data the standard rips do not have. The first games were Fable III (which is the only one to work on older dashboards), Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and in the next update Halo: Reach, Call of Duty: Black Ops and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 were added. They have since seen the odd update as well making people have to update firmwares and/or reburn discs. Other than that you can just use a compatible DVD firmware and patch accordingly (the security sectors stuff- same idea). Nothing stopping you from picking up a real copy second hand either (I checked last night for another thread and aside from black ops they all go for not a lot).

Shiv122

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I see on the site you posted that one of the versions of Deus Ex Human Revolution is wave 12 and one is wave 11. How can I tell the difference when downloading? Also, I won't be able to play the retail versions of these wave 12 games either, right?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not entirely sure what is going on there- I suspect the other is the German version or some other regioned version. Certainly the original "Deus.Ex.Human.Revolution.XBOX360-COMPLEX" ( http://www.abgx.net/filename/?ch=6 if you needed a list/database of releases) is wave 11 and
crossover like this is extremely rare so soon enough every game will be wave 12 or newer. When downloading.... you might be able to do a check on the first few hundred megs of the files (generally most people do not bother with torrents for such things instead opting for usenet or download sites so you can do this) but otherwise you are left to check release threads (not that many will mention this at this point in time- there is no real benefit to holding back right now).

Also yeah no originals at wave12 or beyond until you upgrade the drive firmware to one that can handle it.

Also I forgot to mention splitvid- LT requires it where earlier firmware versions did not (although it was available/supported) so make sure your games use it else you might have to reburn a few things when you do upgrade, abgx360 (the program) can add it without so much as downloading something so make sure the option to always have splitvid is checked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)