How do I change the language of my 3.1J JPN Wii to English?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by I obviously need, Apr 1, 2011.

1. I obviously need
    OP

Newcomer I obviously need Advanced Member

United States
    Since the AnyRegion Changer program won't do it for me as it forces a 4.2 firmware version, what can I do to change just the language but keep everything else the same? I have Gecko OS for NTSC and PAL imports. All I want is an English main menu so that I can navigate through everything easier.

2. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Just go up to 4.x
    Really no reason to stay on 3.1, unless you like less features.

3. I obviously need
    OP

United States
    My legitimate NTSC Wii is used for that. I don't care about new features for my Japanese Wii. All I want it to do is play Disaster: Day of Crisis and perhaps Xenoblade Chronicles if that doesn't get a North American release, and then I want it to have English menus. That's it.

4. Slowking

Germany
    Uhm you can play those on an english Wii, too.

Furthermore when you region change your japanese Wii it will effectively become an NTSC-U Wii. There is no hardware difference between the two. So if you put an english menu on there you will have an english Wii.

5. I obviously need
    OP

United States
    1. I don't want my legitimate NTSC Wii playing any kind of Homebrew. That is all relegated to my Japanese Wii. I don't own a PAL-region Wii.

2. I am not Region Changing. I was originally attempting to use the AnyRegion Changer program to only change the language settings because it allows you to do so. I don't give a hoot about changing the Japanese Wii's region. I only want to be able to navigate in English.

3. Any and all other-region games for my Japanese Wii would be played through Gecko OS.

I'm sure that I'm not the only person in the world who'd like a set-up like this. I have one Wii for legitimate use, and one Wii for hacking use. The Japanese Wii that I am now using for hacks was originally my gateway to an early, albeit Japanese, copy of Super Smash Bros. Brawl due to my impatience. It has been useless ever since, until recently when Nintendo of Europe decided to announce that they are localizing Xenoblade Chronicles for the European audience. Now my Japanese Wii will run hacks so that it can play European games that never got released in North America. Not hard to understand.

But if there is absolutely no possible way for me to change the language in my hacked Japanese Wii to English, then I may as well do without.

6. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    There is only one way to do it and it is in your other post.

7. Slowking

Germany
    I'm pretty sure you are in a really small minority since there is no downside to hacking a wii.

Also since your japanese Wii is already hacked you might as well region change it. It's not like it will play japanese games any less after that.
    There is no other way to get the menu to be displayed in english.

8. bowser

Member bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    Yeah, there's no special 'English language pack' for the Japanese system menu. The only way to get it in English is to install the NTSC-U version of the 3.1 system menu which effectively changes the Wii's region anyway. I did it myself a couple years ago. I went from 3.1J to 3.2U with AnyRegion Changer and then from 3.2U to 4.2U by installing the system menu IOS and WAD.

9. Slowking

Germany
    Only installing that System menu doesn't change your region properly. You'll end up with a semi brick. You have to use anyregion changer, which modifies a few other things as well.

10. bowser

Member bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    Ah of course, it's an oversight on my part. My bad!

I had in fact used AnyRegion Changer.

11. I obviously need
    OP

United States
    Alright, so where are the steps to setting up AnyRegion Changer, then? There aren't any guides available from what I can see and I'll admit that I had a little angry "old thread bump spree" over at Wiihacks.com because of it. I'll convert it to 3.2U.

12. I obviously need
    OP

United States
    [​IMG]

Yeah, there aren't any downsides, except for the possibility of rendering your Wii totally useless. Which is exactly what I don't want to happen to my legitimate Wii.

13. M1r0

Member M1r0 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You can only brick your wii from installing cIOS's. (Not much even then). There have been no recorded cases that I (or most members) know of where just installing Homebrew Channel has bricked a wii. There is one downside however. If you ever brick your wii (hardware failure), and nintendo detects that your wii has homebrew, than they will charge extra. Of course, in most cases, if the type of brick allows Ninty to detect homebrew, it probably also allows you to delete it.

14. I obviously need
    OP

United States
    No, supposedly AnyRegion Changer is a fairly unstable and unsupported program with high odds of failure, which causes bricking. I don't want to attempt such a thing on my legitimate Wii, which is exactly what I have my Japanese Wii for.

15. M1r0

Member M1r0 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I Obviously Need Help: Then don't region change your wii. I understand why you may be afraid of doing that to your main wii. But that is no reason to not install Homebrew on your wii as a whole..

16. I obviously need
    OP

United States
    Okay, I've done more research, and AnyRegion Changer also allows you to just change the language setting in your Wii without the need of changing the region entirely.

But the problem is, where are the steps to getting the program to work? I still can't find them, despite re-reading MauiFrog's walkthrough.

This is what I saw on tonatonari's Youtube video demonstrating what it does-

[​IMG]

I just want to change the language setting, like what is being shown. The problem is, I don't know where to put the files that I extracted onto the SD card to make the program show up in the Homebrew Channel.

17. I obviously need
    OP

United States
    And I finally found the steps-

1. Download the compressed AnyRegion Changer folder from Wiibrew.

2. Extract the "AnyRegion_Changer.zip" folder.

3. Drag-and-drop the extracted (the one without the zipper) folder to the "apps" folder in your SD card.

4. Change the name of "AnyRegion_Changer1.1b.dol" to "boot.dol".

5. If it doesn't work, then blame the author for not supplying proper instructions.

18. mauifrog

United States
  19. I obviously need
    OP

United States
    I don't know if you posted the wrong link or not, but I'm not asking on how to change the region of my Japanese Wii. I wanted to be able to just change the language, and I thought I couldn't do that with AnyRegion Changer before, but now I have a step-by-step procedure on how to do it (that I had to go out of my way and create myself). The other link that you supplied in the other thread wasn't doing it for me.

20. mauifrog

United States
    Then just change the language, simple. Load ARC and change the language to English. You need a patched ios to do it, and you really want priiloader installed incase you change something that is not supported by the system menu. You can run 3.1j with the language set to English without issue. The only way to do this is to load ARC on ios36, which needs patches, and since your on 3.1 you have all the patches you need. Load ARC, change language to English, save, done.
    Like I said, I would install priiloader or boot2 bootmii first.

You do not need to install a USA menu to get the English on the 3.1j wii, just change the language to English, nothing else.