how do i change the id of a rom

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by iambananaballsso, Dec 17, 2009.

Dec 17, 2009
  1. iambananaballsso
    OP

Newcomer iambananaballsso Advanced Member

United States
    how would i change the game id on a ds rom, can someone send me a link to a program that does it if there is one... [​IMG]

2. iambananaballsso
    OP

United States
    does anyone know? [​IMG]

3. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    By "ST" I assume you mean "Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks" which has a Game ID of BKIE 94771A5D

The first four (BKIE) can be changed with a hex editor at address C to F.
    This will also change the second part of the GameID (94771A5D) as well.

The second part of the GameID is calculated from some information contained in the ROM -- I believe it's a partial file CRC32 hash.
    NO$GBA has some information on it HERE:

If your goal is to make the patched ROM have the same GameID as the unpatched ROM, quite simply there is -NO- way to do it.

4. iambananaballsso
    OP

United States
    well i am only doing this to math the id of the patched rom to the id of the normal rom, so even if i change the first 4 bytes, the second part will change, but i dont know if it will change to the one of the patch rom's second part of the id

can someone confirm this?

if it will then i can do this with a hex editor

i think the second will change to the one of the pacthed rom, but i want to find out first b4 trying it

5. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    As I said... You CANNOT change the patched ROM's ID to be the same as the unpatched ROM. It is simply not possible.

If you change the first 4 bytes of the game ID by hex editing, the second part will change to reflect the new CRC32.

The GameID of the clean ROM is BKIE 94771A5D
    The GameID of the patched ROM is BKIE 85AD4456
    So you can't hex the patched version to change the first 4 since they're the same. Only thing that was changed is the second part which is a CRC32.