Hacking How do I add the new PKSM update to Homebrew?

firefist202

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The update for PKSM (Pokemon genning) came out like a week ago, and I was wondering how I would add it to Homebrew. I run SoundHax, on a New 3DS. I already used to use PKSM for Sun and Moon, but want to use it for Ultra Sun. Would I just download the file, and replace the one I already had in there (old PKSM)? Thanks in advance.
(I apologize if this is a dumb question, don't know much about Homebrew/CFW)

Heres the file website:
https://github.com/BernardoGiordano/PKSM/releases

Last edited by firefist202,

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The update for PKSM (Pokemon genning) came out like a week ago, and I was wondering how I would add it to Homebrew. I run SoundHax, on a New 3DS. I already used to use PKSM for Sun and Moon, but want to use it for Ultra Sun. Would I just download the file, and replace the one I already had in there (old PKSM)? Thanks in advance.
(I apologize if this is a dumb question, don't know much about Homebrew/CFW)

Heres the file website:
https://github.com/BernardoGiordano/PKSM/releases
Yeah, that's all you have to do.

Reactions: ThoD

firefist202

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When I downloaded the file, and extracted it to get the PKSM folder, it had 2 other folders inside titled "hax" and "rosalina". These folders were not in the folder that I used to get PKSM in the first place (if I remember correctly) Do I still put that folder onto my SD card? I don't have CFW (I have Soundhax), and just wondering if these do need CFW. Sorry if this is a stupid question, just don't know much about all of this. Thanks!

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When I downloaded the file, and extracted it to get the PKSM folder, it had 2 other folders inside titled "hax" and "rosalina". These folders were not in the folder that I used to get PKSM in the first place (if I remember correctly) Do I still put that folder onto my SD card? I don't have CFW (I have Soundhax), and just wondering if these do need CFW. Sorry if this is a stupid question, just don't know much about all of this. Thanks!
You want the one located in the hax folder for the .3dsx file

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
/mini rant starting

I wish I could update the PKSM.cia to my system, open it, and just have it work without downloading a bunch of assets first. Shouldn't those assets be inside the PKSM.cia? The way it (still) works is fucking dumb. I keep my 3DS offline so I won't get banned playing Pokemon, just to be greeted with a "Can't download assets" error that shouldn't need to happen. The assets should be included in the .cia, not a separate download. If I wanted the fucking 3DS online, don't you think I would download the update from titledb in FBI? (Of course I would!) But there's currently no 100% offline solution, and that sucks!

/mini rant over

Reactions: Majickhat55

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
/mini rant starting

I wish I could update the PKSM.cia to my system, open it, and just have it work without downloading a bunch of assets first. Shouldn't those assets be inside the PKSM.cia? The way it (still) works is fucking dumb. I keep my 3DS offline so I won't get banned playing Pokemon, just to be greeted with a "Can't download assets" error that shouldn't need to happen. The assets should be included in the .cia, not a separate download. If I wanted the fucking 3DS online, don't you think I would download the update from titledb in FBI? (Of course I would!) But there's currently no 100% offline solution, and that sucks!

/mini rant over
The assets are copyrighted content because they're ripped from the games. It's illegal to distribute them with with PKSM, so they're downloaded via PKSM itself on first boot.

The dev is strongly anti-piracy and strict about doing homebrew "properly", which means not distributing copyrighted content.

If this is such a big inconvenience for you, you can look through the source code to locate the asset download url, and transfer the assets from a PC via SD card.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
The assets are copyrighted content because they're ripped from the games. It's illegal to distribute them with with PKSM, so they're downloaded via PKSM itself on first boot.

The dev is strongly anti-piracy and strict about doing homebrew "properly", which means not distributing copyrighted content.

If this is such a big inconvenience for you, you can look through the source code to locate the asset download url, and transfer the assets from a PC via SD card.
I was completely unaware they were copyrighted game assets ripped from the game. So I understand now, thank you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.