1. ReyVGM

OP ReyVGM Game Endings Master

I have no$gba 3.0, all the bios files, a "DSi-1.mmc" found online, and DSiWare games in .nds format. I can load any DSiWare game just fine if I set no$gba to load them as regular ROMs, however, you won't be able to save and many games will have graphical issues.

The "DSi-1.mmc" found online already includes some DSiWare games, and those games included work just fine. However, when I try to load another DSiWare ROM, I get an error message. I learned the error is because I'm trying to load a DSiWare (digital) game through the cartridge slot, which is supposed to be for physical games.

So, is there any way to add more DSiWare games to the "DSi-1.mmc" I already have without using a real system, or a way to add more games to the menu with No$gba?

I do not have access to a DSi or a hacked one to dump my own NAND with a different set of games. So any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

2. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The Backup Reminder

Germany
    The most promising and easy way would be using the virtual SD (DSI-1.SD) in NO$GBA.
    From our PM discussion you already know the problems with this method. It's really unfortunate that ninfs does not work for you as well – for the idea of adding DSiWare right to DSI-1.MMC

No$GBA comes with a 128MB virtual SD containing only the MBR partition table and a single empty FAT16 formatted partition.
    • I’ve added .nds files (DSiWare) to this virtual SD and was able to start them directly via unlaunch (their .pub save files must be already present for saving to work).
    • The complete HiyaCFW (SDNAND) works from this virtual SD so I guess adding DSiWare is possible like explained in various tutorials.

Now to the problem:

This 128MB file is far too small, especially with HiyaCFW/SDNAND on it. I tried various other sizes with FAT16 and FAT32 formatted partitions and No$GBA behaves erratically. The following happened:
    • The emulator crashed instead loading unlaunch Filemenu
    • Filemenu shows no SD titles despite DSiWare and/or SDNAND is present
    • Filemenu shows titles – but some have garbage names and do not work. HiyaCFW/SDNAND did not load.
    I even made a raw copy from my real 8GB SD from the DSi that is working with unlaunch Filemenu on the real hardware like a charm. Result: garbage names.

Even if unlaunch in the emulator shows weird behavior: Loading Launcher from SysNAND works in any case and the Nintendo software has no problem accessing the (big) virtual SDs. I can copy legit DSiWare titles to SD, open blocks are shown correctly…

=================
    Why does unlaunch not work correctly with any other file than the 128MB that comes with the emulator?
    Am I doing something wrong here or is this an emulation issue?

Has anybody an idea how to get HiyaCFW/SDNAND with DSiWare working on a bigger virtual SD?
    =================

alexander1970 likes this.
  3. edo9300

edo9300 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Italy
    No$gba+unlaunch work fine with other SD images, I'm currently using a raw dump of my 4gb one. This is an empty 2gb image made by another user, if you want to try it out https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/332693506520776704/559496421842223104/DSi-1.zip
    It also correctly works with hiya (not that that's very useful on an emulator)

4. KleinesSinchen

Germany
    Wow! Fantastic. Thank you very much!

This 2GB image does work after copying my files there.

I still do not understand why it failed for me so often:
    • 512MB raw copy of old SD
    • 8GB raw copy of my perfectly working SD from actual DSi – this SD is in use every day and has no issues and checked with F3.
    • Various files (different sizes) I have created with truncate, fdisk, mkfs.vfat
    Countless tries with FAT16, FAT32, different cluster sizes… all bad. But this empty file you linked boots to HiyaCFW, TWiLight Menu++ works and my .nds DSiWare can be started.

What did I do wrong? I feel so VERY DUMB!
    =========

@ReyVGM Seems a bigger virtual SD (hopefully) is the solution to your question after all.
    Please try the image linked above, use HiyaCFW helper create an SDNAND and copy everything to the image mounted with OSFMount.

This assumes the DSI-1.MMC you have already has unlaunch because unlaunch is needed to boot into CFW.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    ReyVGM and alexander1970 like this.
  5. alexander1970

alexander1970 Austrian Guy - allowed make grammatical Errors

Austria
    KleinesSinchen likes this.
  6. ReyVGM

Could you give me step-by-step instructions like you've wonderfully done before? I do not know if the DSI-1.MMC has unlaunch or not since it wasn't done by me. The one I have is the only DSI-1.MMC that's floating around the internet.

alexander1970 and KleinesSinchen like this.
  7. KleinesSinchen

Germany
    • Does it show the “Health and Safety” warning screen each time starting up?
    • When in “Launcher” do you hear background music and sound effects when going left and right through the entries?
    Unlaunch disables all this. With unlaunch: No H&S screen, no music, no sounds.

Recent versions (1.8+) of unlaunch have the Filemenu that can be opened by holding (A)+(B) when turning on the DSi. On the emulator I had the most success when pushing those two buttons simultaneously a few times while select some ROM to get the emulation started. Holding the buttons did not work very well.

The best (my opinion) for emulator use is to configure unlaunch so that holding no button simply loads Filemenu.

Example config:
    1 Hotkey.png

TWiLight Menu loads a lot of stuff each boot.
    2 TWL options.png 2 TWL options b.png

If you don’t have unlaunch and have to start from the beginning your detailed step-by-step guide to install unlaunch and HiyaCFW and/or TWiLight Menu++ is:
    https://dsi.cfw.guide/

"Hacking" the virtual DSi like a real one.

Whenever you putting something on the SD is mentioned you mount the virtual DSI-1.SD from @edo9300 ’s post above with OSFMount and do the steps there. NAND backup does not make much sense in the emulator because you already have the image. You can skip this.
    I didn’t try myself and hope the Memory Pit exploit works as expected. If the camera app has never been used on this NAND it may start a pointless tutorial which hopefully can be completed.
    • Adding DSiWare for TWiLight Menu++ is just putting the .nds files on the virtual SD.
    • For adding DSiWare to HiyaCFW/SDNAND maybe some of the methods mentioned here can be used.
    The only DSi NAND image I could find when searching for a nice “DSi emulation setup” already came with a lot of DSiWare installed – but no unlaunch.

Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    ReyVGM and alexander1970 like this.
  8. edo9300

edo9300 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Italy
    The installer can be directly booted up as game, there's no need to perform the exploit

KleinesSinchen and alexander1970 like this.
  9. ReyVGM

A million thanks. I followed the steps on that guide (and skipped the NAND steps). I installed everything and I was able to add the DSiware games. I chose TWiLight Menu++ since it seemed to be the easiest one (drag and drop into the NDS folder).

I have a few questions:

1) Any way for those added games to appear on the DSi's own menu or do I have to use TWiLight Menu++'s own menu?

2) Any way of showing more than 40 games on the list? Or do I have to add and delete if I want to test the whole DSiware library?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    KleinesSinchen and alexander1970 like this.
  10. KleinesSinchen

Germany
    You make me feel even more dumb. I surely did no expect the unlaunch installer to work from “cartridge” and did not even bother trying this because https://dsibrew.org/wiki/DSi_exploits says carts have neither SD nor NAND access. I expected the emulator to just show the same behavior and have unlaunch.dsi throw an error when booted as “retail game cart”.
    Confirmed working.

Finally!
    1) Adding them to SDNAND is more work than drag+drop. Have a look at here.
    2) If there are more than 40 ROMs in one folder TWiLight Menu++ splits the folder into pages. Use (L) and (R) switch pages.

If you are using that many DSiWares better stick with TWiLight Menu++. The Nintendo Launcher has a hard limit of 40 games and errors out if more are installed. This would be a constant adding and removing.
    Boot time can be vastly improved by disabling any splashes, intros… in the options.

alexander1970 and ReyVGM like this.
  11. ReyVGM

Thanks a billion for all the help and info. Maybe one day in the future I'll hack a real DSi and add some of the best DSiware games using that method. I doubt there are going to be more than 40 interesting games.
    But for now, I want to have them all to take screenshots of the games.

alexander1970 and KleinesSinchen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - DSiWare, No$gba, games