ROM Hack How do games detect flashcarts?

HoTsHoT89

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
So as most R4 users are still waiting for a patch for a certain racing game, it never dawned on me on how games with piracy protection could detect flashcarts.

Most of us have probably experienced various forms of protection, like 'traps' in certain parts of the game (Chrono Trigger DS), unable to save (GTA:CW), or even unable to boot completely. To the DS console, isn't a flashcart a normal game card to them? I'm certain those games have lines of codes to check something, but what, and how exactly?

As for bypassing the protection, we have cheats which is patched into the game ROM which allows the piracy check to be bypassed or circumvented. I have a rough idea on how it works, but it's definitely better to know more.

Answering these might require a degree of technicality but it would be very helpful if you guys could get down and dirty.
smile.gif

HoTsHoT89

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Normmatt said:
YayMii said:
BTW, GTA: CW doesn't have anti-piracy. It just has a bigger save that wasn't compatible with flashcarts at the time.
Yes it did, it used a standard size 64kb save. Stop spreading bullshit.
I did remember that GTA:CW's piracy protection was implemented at the save.

But that's not the point. What I'm really interested is how do games do checks to know if the DS is using a flashcart. I'm speculating checks are done in the DS memory after the game has been loaded in, but if the DS console reads the flashcart as though it was a normal game card, shouldn't there be no problems?

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
HoTsHoT89 said:
Normmatt said:
YayMii said:
BTW, GTA: CW doesn't have anti-piracy. It just has a bigger save that wasn't compatible with flashcarts at the time.

But that's not the point. What I'm really interested is how do games do checks to know if the DS is using a flashcart. I'm speculating checks are done in the DS memory after the game has been loaded in, but if the DS console reads the flashcart as though it was a normal game card, shouldn't there be no problems?
AFAIK the cheat systems on flashcart use cheats in a way that's different from the actual Action Replay. Games detect this, and block the game. That's why clean mode on Supercard/Cyclo might help solve your problems, and it's also why R4 users are permanently fucked, since R4 doesn't have a clean mode, and there aren't any official firmware updates anymore.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Rockstar said:
Normmatt said:
YayMii said:
sheesh... no need to be so rude to the guy
He has a point though, a lot of people just post crap they don't know anything about and say it's true.

Megaman0

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
s12ord.smackjeeves.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Still it's not like someone would say it like that if they were face to face. There's no need to be rude just because it's the Internet. Especially if he really believed that GTA: CW has a bigger save...

metroid4life14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've actually wondered this as well. I always assumed it was something that happened through the dump process, but after reading these posts, I guess not

HoTsHoT89

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Demonbart said:
HoTsHoT89 said:
Normmatt said:
YayMii said:

AFAIK the cheat systems on flashcart use cheats in a way that's different from the actual Action Replay. Games detect this, and block the game. That's why clean mode on Supercard/Cyclo might help solve your problems, and it's also why R4 users are permanently fucked, since R4 doesn't have a clean mode, and there aren't any official firmware updates anymore.
Aren't ROM dumps always 'clean' in a sense, that they are unaltered and as-is from the original game cart? Most users can't even play clean ROM dumps without encountering some kind of stopgap. Cheats or not, the piracy protection exists.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yeah wait, it CAN'T be in the cheats, because there's still lots of gamers that don't use them and still hit the AP wall. Maybe someone who has real firmware/patching programming experience can pipe up? Normmatt? You're clearly reading the thread, and I assume all that work on AKAIO would give you some sort of clue...
Where the hell does the AP stuff check?

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Demonbart said:
HoTsHoT89 said:
Normmatt said:
YayMii said:

Wrong again!

They do reads below 8000h which on official games still be redirected to 8000h in the rom while on flashcarts it isnt redirected and as such its easy to see its a flashcart, its not a simple fix either though, as the checks use their own read card function which isn't patched and as such reads need to be quick which they aren't unless the routine is patched
frown.gif

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
Demonbart said:

Uh, no? I've never heard of the Cheat System being the issue, if that were true people would just make a Cart w/o cheats. There are sometimes things on the flash cart itself that can give away what it is, other times its something completely different. Most games use similar AP but some games use different AP, it all depends.

D

Deleted-236924

To be fair, Anti-Piracy measures alerady existed in the Super NES era.
Just look at Earthbound.

Earthbound looked at sram space. If there was more space for sram than usual, the game would make a lot of enemies appear. This made the game unplayable.

Every game has a different Anti-Piracy system, though they all get cracked quite fast.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do the patches only work on certain flashcarts? Exapmle: I patched a certain racing game and it worked on one flashcart, but not on my other two flashcarts? I am running the latest firmware on all three flashcarts.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
SickPuppy said:
Why do the patches only work on certain flashcarts? Exapmle: I patched a certain racing game and it worked on one flashcart, but not on my other two flashcarts? I am running the latest firmware on all three flashcarts.
Because not all flashcarts patch the game in the same way. Not to mention some flashcarts just plain suck ass.

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
Pingouin7 said:
To be fair, Anti-Piracy measures alerady existed in the Super NES era.
Just look at Earthbound.

Earthbound looked at sram space. If there was more space for sram than usual, the game would make a lot of enemies appear. This made the game unplayable.

Every game has a different Anti-Piracy system, though they all get cracked quite fast.

Odd, I heard that with Earthbound (or else it was Mother 1,2, or 3) that you could play the entire game until the end where right before the ending it game you a "THIS GAME WAS PIRATED" screen and deleted your save data.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.