How do DSL modems cap the DL/UP speed?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by phoood, Jan 19, 2007.

Jan 19, 2007
  1. phoood
    OP

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    Alright, so I'm downloading some torrents uncapped (90kb/sec, which is the fastest for http dl's too) and I cap it at 50kb/sec to watch that awesome youtube vid of some guys playing the wii at a theater. After that, I uncap utorrent and the dl speed suddenly spikes.

[​IMG]
    This also happens a bit with http downloads when I suddenly resume a file or dl something off of rapidshare.

So does anyone know how the DSL modems cap my speed?
    I've looked everywhere on how to uncap the modem, but I found out there's no such thing. So I'd like to know how it does cap it.

2. cenotaph

Member cenotaph GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It spikes because your software doesn't have enough data to calculate your speed properly. Those are not accurate speeds and not what you're getting in reality.

As for where your speed is being capped, at your base station (which is basically a hut with some teleco equipment, at least they are where I live).

3. phoood
    OP

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    Ok, so the only way to uncap my dsl line is to break in to one of verizon's buildings and somehow reprogram it? Thanks [​IMG]

But these spikes actually do happen. At the moment, I have netlimiter 2 open (bandwidth moniter) and am downloading something through a manager. As soon as I uncap it from 1kb/sec to unlimited, it shoots to 223.4kb/sec and back to my normal speed.

Oh well, I can only dream...

4. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States

or buy faster dsl

5. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I'm on a 1mb connection and one day, I was starting a download and I noticed it rose to 200kb/s at one point when beginning.... then went back down to 100kb/s. Somedays I hope to get cable instead of ADSL