War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
So yeah, I got us a really good deal with the cable company and convinced my mom to upgrade our internet connection from 1.5Mb to 6Mb. I was really excited because I was expecting to get super fast download speeds and I figured I would have to wait like 4 or 5 days for a single Xbox 360 game to download... unfortunately, I was expecting too much. I just attempted to download a movie that had a ton of seeds and I'm still getting shitty 30/40 kb/s speeds. :\ I guess its because torrents don't really depend on my speed, they depend on the speed that the seeders are uploading at... (I think). Either way, I'm extremely disappointed... I don't really see a point in even keeping this internet speed. Everything is exactly the same; downloading speed and browsing speed... so I dunno. Maybe I'll just tell my mom to go back to our old speed so we won't be wasting money on this crap.

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You are correct.

Seeds = Higher Speeds

A faster connection doesn't hurt but you aren't going to see that much of a diff. Try to get into a good private site and you can get much better speeds. I download a full 360 game in about two hours from one of my main sites
tongue.gif

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
War said:
Well, I can only think of one private download site... However, it barely has any 360 games.

Keep trying. I didn't really even try and I am on the best scene torrent site, the two best music sites and the best game site, all without trying. So yeah, just try and get in

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey consider yourself lucky! I have yet to finish downloading the Sonic X complete season in japanese with english subs and that's like 12-13 GB's...the percentage I have done so far is 75% over two months >_

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Sign up for a free newsgroups account trial type thing. Everything you download will be at max speed for your connection. I can grab a 200meg file in about 6 minutes or so, so it would probably be around 8 minutes for you. I'm on an 8mbit connection and I get around 800-830k a second, the speed you're getting looks pretty good comparing it.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
How long does that free newsgroups thing last? How much does it regularly cost anyway? And uh... what exactly is a "newsgroup" site, or is that basically the same as a warez site?

@ Linki: Lol.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
War said:
How long does that free newsgroups thing last? How much does it regularly cost anyway? And uh... what exactly is a "newsgroup" site, or is that basically the same as a warez site?

@ Linki: Lol.

Some newsgroup trials are only a few days and some last up to a couple of weeks. If you hunt around you could probably get a month or so for free first. I don't really know how much they cost Stateside, they're not that expensive here. Think of newsgroups as like a giant worldwide unmoderated forum. People encode binary files into text messages and upload them. You can use a news grabber program though and that will download all the messages and then decode them back into files for you. It's not really any more complicated than torents.

You'll need a program like Grabit (free) or Newsleecher (pay). Once that's installed you grab .nzb files in the same way you grab torrents, fire them up in your news grabber app and watch your downloads fly. Just google nzb search engines to find good places to grab them from. Some sites make you pay but there are loads of free ones. If you get a SSL connection it's even better as everything you're grabbing is encrypted. It's alot better than any p2p app but there's usually a limit to how long they keep messages for.

My provider keeps the messages for 180 days but alot are only like 60 days, but all it really means is your stuck to new releases and what people upload randomly. Plus there's no ratio's to maintain and you're always guaranteed topnotch speeds. I've grabbed a couple of 360 games for mates and they took about 3 hours each to download, not amazingly fast but if you start something grabbing before school you'll be guaranteed to be playing it when you get back.

edit : And don't forget to grab something like PAR Buddy 2 to check your downloads for errors. Sometimes the files are corrupt due to data loss so they come with error recovery files called par/par2 files.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Wow... that sounds really cool, but unfortunately I only found 2 newsgroup sites and they both required a credit card to be input before they gave me a free trial. Also, one of them had a max trial download of 3Gb... which isn't even close to a 360 game.

I'm using MegaUpload right now since they give free premium to everyone for 6 hrs a night... its actually working out pretty well. I'm downloading an Xbox 360 game split into 7 parts, and its downloading 5 parts at a time right now at about 120 kbs each. It says its estimated to finish them in 4 hrs, so it should take 2 nights to download them all. (Hopefully just one)

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
War said:
Wow... that sounds really cool, but unfortunately I only found 2 newsgroup sites and they both required a credit card to be input before they gave me a free trial. Also, one of them had a max trial download of 3Gb... which isn't even close to a 360 game.

I'm using MegaUpload right now since they give free premium to everyone for 6 hrs a night... its actually working out pretty well. I'm downloading an Xbox 360 game split into 7 parts, and its downloading 5 parts at a time right now at about 120 kbs each. It says its estimated to finish them in 4 hrs, so it should take 2 nights to download them all. (Hopefully just one)

I pay £15 a month for unlimited acess to all nzbs I want, I'm with a provider called astraweb. I don't have a really fast internet connection yet I get 360 games in 30mins- 1 hour. A few months back someone made a thread all about newsgroups I will try and find it for you.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Try these guys.

http://www.xennews.com/

They're a bit on the expensive side if you're going to pay for them but you can sign up for a free no questions asked 2 day trial. They don't ask for credit card numbers or anything because they take PayPal as well. It's only 2 days but at 4 hours a game that could be 12 games added to the collection!
wink.gif

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
while it's true downloading with newsgroups will most probably saturate your whole line, there could be a different problem as to why your torrents are fucking up.

astraweb offers an $11 per month subscription promo: http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html
they also offer block accounts for those that find it more suitable to their usage. their retention has been improving, soon up to 270 days.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: