Hardware How different would the Switch be if it had 8 gigs of RAM?

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info. Could Nintendo improve the Switch's clock speeds at some point with a software update?
They could but they won’t. They’ll most likely make the switch revisions the “new” Nintendo switch with better clock speeds and possible more ram. But an over clocking ips is coming soon for the switch.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

How to fix your switch getting too hot. Open it up, get rid of Nintendo’s crappy thermal paste that acts as an insulator, apply arctic silver Mx4 or your favorite thermal paste, and boom. Doesn’t get as hot as normal.

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They could but they won’t. They’ll most likely make the switch revisions the “new” Nintendo switch with better clock speeds and possible more ram. But an over clocking ips is coming soon for the switch.

How to fix your switch getting too hot. Open it up, get rid of Nintendo’s crappy thermal paste that acts as an insulator, apply arctic silver Mx4 or your favorite thermal paste, and boom. Doesn’t get as hot as normal.

Would something like Thermal Grizzly's Conductonaut be feasible, or is that only for the most enthused of enthusiasts?

Der_Blockbuster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Then how do you explain the devices that come out of the box pre-bent? You think Ninty is purposefully bending units with heat then just selling them anyways? No.

It's most definitely an issue with the plastic warping overtime. Could be because of the material or something to do with the QC testing in factory. The heat might even be playing a "role" in the bend, but it is NOT the sole cause. I can almost guarantee that you couldn't think of any other reason except "it gets hot when i play so that must be the reason".
Yeah you are right.

Wheth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
More RAM with other specs invariated could allow for more than 30s of recorded gameplay. That's about it.

If water starts to evaporade first at 100°c why does my laundry get dry if I leave it in the open?
Water falls due to gravity, that's why you hang out the laundry instead of leaving it on a heap in the ground *cough*

aykay55

Professional Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Just to clarify, overclocking won't affect the performance of any actual Switch games, like Wolfenstein 2. It will only increase the power of the emulators.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, so nearly 20 million units sold is a commercial failure and the Wii U was a success, got it.

Who said anything specifically (except you) about the commercial aspect? It simply said "The Switch is an indisputable success". But go ahead and continue injecting things that weren't there to begin with. Despite it's commercial sales, for me the Switch is a failure. Thus I dispute it. Understand? Good.

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Water doesn't start to evaporate at 100 celcius, it starts to evaporate at anything above 0 celcius. Also it's a liquid. Also, it's not a plastic that has little to no known way to degrade without external influences. Also, your switch should never get to 100 celcius. If it does, something is wrong and you need to send it back to Ninty.

The bend wasn't caused by heat. I wish people would stop saying so.

I bought two Switches at launch. Neither were bent upon arrival. Second Switch was stowed away for hacking. First Switch was used for about 60 hours docked, playing BotW and Fast RMX. Pulled out of dock after about a month to upgrade sd card, noticed Switch was bent.

FF to July 2018, I got my SX OS PRO in the mail, broke out my boxed, still unbent Switch, and loaded it up with games and docked it. Played for about 10 hours, total. Pulled out Switch to add more games...BENT.
I can say, anecdotally anyways, that the Switch bends while in use, not over time. Heat is the only thing that can cause that.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who said anything specifically (except you) about the commercial aspect? It simply said "The Switch is an indisputable success". But go ahead and continue injecting things that weren't there to begin with. Despite it's commercial sales, for me the Switch is a failure. Thus I dispute it. Understand? Good.

Then how is it not a commercial success? I'm just dying to know.

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to clarify, overclocking won't affect the performance of any actual Switch games, like Wolfenstein 2. It will only increase the power of the emulators.
It would affect native Switch titles, but the impact would be unnoticeable to the average end-user, as it would be increasing the throughput of the processor. The CPU clockspeed is would help with loading times and expediting BUS processes, but most games are optimized to run on the Switch hardware and aren't programmed to run at uncapped speeds (unlimited frame limit like emulators).

The average person will focus on whether the Switch's game runs or not, and they already do, so they won't care. Now, in-game areas that have noticeable lag/stuttering may see marked improvements, such as Korok Forest in Breath of the Wild, but that noticeable difference is an exception and not the norm.

I am personally curious whether or not NSP installation and/or USB hard drives will have improved performance.

Reactions: felix.200

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
The switch is in the same ballpark as PS360 visually yet has 8 times the RAM.
I think more CPU/GPU would've had a better impact.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No its because the heat, the plastic is melting and bending in the end, some Switch start cracking and other bend even the motherboard, hope this gets fixed in the new Mariko Batch.
My friends have bend switch but its okay for them.
It was proven ages ago that switch units were arriving bent from the factory, which disproves the heat theory

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1